Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 12:03 AM

823 posts, read 1,056,189 times

Advertisements

If you go the pod route, you will need a permit for the delivery. They’ll want to know the size, location, and delivery date. They will give you “no parking” signs to put up 4 or 5 days before the anticipated delivery to make sure you have a clear spot. The window for unloading is usually fairly small - less than a day, think it’s 4 or 5 hours - so you’ll need to have people pre-organized to help you get straight on it. Enforcement does come around at the beginning to make sure no-one has parked in your temporary spot (ticketed and towed if they have) and at the end to check that you’ve completed everything in the time allocated and the pod is gone. (They are pretty nice about it and they won’t ping you for it if they can see you are just about done, but my point is that there’s no leisurely unpacking, you have to be ready to go as soon as it arrives.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2019, 02:44 AM

10 posts, read 3,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linnbear View Post
Hello, I just wanted to give an update in case someone else is wondering about moving pods in LA. I ended up using U-Haul Ubox and it worked out well. I purchased no parking signs from LA DOT for about $50 that were good for 2 days. U-Haul dropped off the Ubox on Friday and picked it up the next day. Pods without wheels are technically not allowed in LA so if you choose to get one of those and park it on the street, it's a do at your own risk kind of thing. Uboxes are more like trailers that can come on wheels so they are street legal.

And I chose to move my stuff because my company gave me a relocation stipend to move my stuff/car. If they didn't offer that, then I would have probably done the math to see if selling or transporting my items made more financial sense. I actually wished I brought more small misc items that I ended up selling and re-buying immediately (bathroom scale, kettle, etc).
Good choice!
At least it was for us when we moved from Tacoma, WA to San Pedro, CA (Sept ‘17. We had 3 uboxes. One contained my newish Triumph Motorbike. We had no place lined up so we stayed in Air bnb until we found an apartment. Ended up in San Pedro. Which we love by the way. Uhaul held our uboxes in a warehouse in DTLA. Until we were ready (about 3 weeks). We called and scheduled delivery for the day we were moving in. We got to the place early and held a couple spots on street with our car (garage roof too low to put in our spot). They were on time. We had also scheduled to have someone unload our uboxes (through Uhaul). They moved all the stuff in the time alotted. Everything was very smooth. I took the bike out of the third one. Uhaul came asap to collect the uboxes. No permits. No tickets given. Like to know how they would do that anyways. Piece of cake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles