Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 01:51 PM

355 posts, read 842,592 times

Advertisements

Of course they have to educate them. However, the disregard as to whether or not they speak English is primarily the point as to why so few of these particular minorities find success in their education. In this example, they are not provided the same educational opportunity.

Old 06-21-2008, 12:51 PM

103 posts, read 261,496 times
Default Not rocket science....

Some of the new immigrants from Mexico truly only have a fourth grade education. I knew a woman who married an illegal (he got sent back to Mexico after they caught him) and she was the first to admit his lack of intellect. However, she met him when her family went to Mexico when she was 15, so not exactly a mature age. She said he had only a fourth grade education. She got pregnant at 17. It took him about 10 times to pass his driver's license test. She said he typically sits before the TV set - watching Spanish stations and never reads anything.
Before jumping on the bandwagon to accuse Americans of racism every time they question mass illegal immigration - I think posters need to do some actual research. There is plenty of information online.
Dallas, Texas has a 50% rate of graduation for high school students. One student on the news the other day was Hispanic and had missed 160 days of school. They put a tracking device on him.

Old 06-21-2008, 12:54 PM

103 posts, read 261,496 times
Default Don't come here if you don't want to learn English...

Amavel
So, would you go illegally to another country - taking your children - and then expect the schools in that country to educate your children in English?

In Mexico, they only teach in one language - Spanish, even though many of the country people speak other dialects.

Old 06-21-2008, 02:28 PM

303 posts, read 846,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert123 View Post
The logic of this article might apply more aptly to natives of places like Texas, where they use a cow's tongue for toilet paper. If I'm not mistaken, Texas has some of the lowest education stats, and I don't think it's due to the influx of Mexican people. Post this in one of their forums, but watch out, they'll start spitting tacks and call you names (only because deep inside they know that what you are saying is true, bless their hearts). It's kind of fun.
Agreed. I tried mentioning in one of their threads that they're not the only state allowed to have their flag flown at the same height or to have their capitol building taller than the U.S. Capitol and predictably, they lashed out at me.

And here are a few education stats and other stats on Texas, and they're not from a jealous out-of-stater, they are from your very own: http://www.houstondemocrats.com/pdf/texasranking.pdf

Quote:
While California has six public universities ranked in the top 50 nationwide, Texas has only one, the University of Texas at Austin (47).

Old 06-21-2008, 03:33 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,338,305 times
Back in the early 20th Century, over 300,000 Italian immigrants flooded New York City nearly all at once. More came later. New Yorkers used words and descriptions similar to words in this thread (and the ones people are thinking as they write them), to describe Italians. As with any race, given a generation or two, they were up to speed with everyone else and hung onto their culture (thank God).

Mexican Immigrants are, for the most part, very hard working people. Most of the ones I've known through my past career had 2 or 3 jobs none of us would ever do so they could come up in the world and give their children a better life. They remember what the American Dream is. Give them a generation or two and they'll be up to speed too. 2nd and 3rd generation Chicanos have done a great job. I know more of them with Masters degrees than most of the anglos I know. The only reason we have so many illegal immigrants as opposed to NYC in the early 20th century is a change in laws. Period. The "illegals" aren't going to be all hauled out in trucks. The man power we have is like a grain of sand on a beach. Hatred isn't the answer. It's never been the answer for any other ethnic group who came here.

Unless you're full blooded Native American, nobody has the right to tell ANYONE to "go back!" because had your ancestors been forced to go back, you wouldn't be here. We're only still here because we slaughtered tens of thousands of people from 5 different countries. Remember, this was Mexico.

To make fun of someone because they didn't have the educational opportunities we did is one of the cruelest things I see mankind do. Many of our ancestors couldn't read and bathed 4 times a year. As for IQ tests, as a double major of business and psychology I've learned to not accept studies at face value. Who were the sample group? What was the sample size? What geographic area was this taken in? Was an appropriate test given? I have no doubt that the poorest Mexican immigrants score lower on standardized tests. Go to places like Arkansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, West Virginia, Indiana and other places and you'll find scores of white people who can read less words than the number of teeth they have. The whole center of the country has many, many poor, uneducated persons.

To imply that Mexican immigrants and Mexicans in general are biologically inferior to us is revolting, like our ancestors considering a black person as 3/5 of a human.

I've worked with the most troubled kids (in my last career) who were either born in Mexico or are 1st generation Angelenos. Many of them don't have the opportunities either. Every day they go to school, walk through a metal detector and attend rowdy, substandard classes, while their white counterparts get a whole different experience. Parents are often working 3 minimum wage jobs and don't have time to get to know their friends and teachers. I did my best in family groups to educate the parents to rearrange their priorities. I helped many gang members get on the right track. Most of them were good kids, just like any others you might see when out and about. Once headed in the right direction, they were excited to succeed and get educated.

As for L.A. being overcrowded, we have a lower population density that some other major cities in this country. This is the L.A. Metro Area. The city. Compare it to Manhattan and we live in the sticks. We have a greater population density than the forest having, squirrel jumping, deer shooting boonies and we like it this way. The ones who don't almost always leave for the boonies.

Thankfully there's a huge backlash in L.A. against immigrant hatred. The whole process is getting to know some of them and then they aren't scary. They didn't come here to sponge off of us. They just want what our own ancestors wanted.

Legalize L.A.!

Last edited by Sorcerer68; 06-21-2008 at 03:45 PM..

Old 06-21-2008, 03:48 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,293,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perdu View Post
"Droppping?" Enough said!
LOL..the irony is priceless.

Old 06-21-2008, 08:25 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,753,445 times
As much as I love to engage in immigration discussions, this thread is going to close pretty soon.

I'd suggest posting at this forum
city-data.com/forum/immigration

Old 06-21-2008, 08:46 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times
I was surprised to see this thread revived after all this time. It has now been closed. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles