Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2019, 06:50 PM

2 posts, read 988 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I got a job in LA in Santa Monica. I'm currently in Michigan. I have been looking at apartments.com, but I'm really confused. Areas that I've looked so far are Culver city, Palms, Marina Del Ray, Overland Ave and Sepulveda blvd. The apartments in sepulveda blvd looks reasonable but I wasn't sure if that area is safe or not.

I have no other option than to book the apartment online and come directly to that place once I shift.

It would be really helpful if you guys can tell me if the places I'm looking at are safe or not. Also if they are not too far away too from Santa Monica. (I tried to see the distance too while I'm looking at apartments)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2019, 09:31 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,823,403 times
If you can afford the rent in Marina Del Rey, why not look for an apartment in Santa Monica? Also check out Mar Vista which is adjacent to Santa Monica. Culver City is nice and not too far from Santa Monica although it's east of the 405 freeway making a little longer commute. The other areas you list are not areas I would recommend.

Old 06-01-2019, 08:54 AM

2 posts, read 988 times
I did look out for apartments in Santa Monica but they are crazy expensive, but thanks I'll look out for more.

Old 06-01-2019, 02:20 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,823,403 times
I should have asked you what your budget is but when you said you were looking in Marina Del Rey, I thought, "what budget" as MDR is very pricy. Having said that I see studio apartments on Trulia for under 2k per month.
I attached one listing from Trulia in Mar Vista just for a reference point for you. One bedroom at $1700.00 per month isn't bad. Looks to be about 4 miles from the beach and is on the west side of the 405 freeway. I like Trulia because they have a map feature that makes it super easy to check the location relative to your work.
I'm sure you have noticed rents rise the closer you get to the beach, one reason why Santa Monica is so expensive. Culver City, including west Culver City should remain on your radar as well as MDR if you don't mind paying higher rent.
Is there an HR rep at your new employer that could assist you by confirming the apartment details in person? Always best if someone could do that for you.
Here's the link:
https://www.trulia.com/p/ca/los-ange...66--2399206316
Welcome to California and hope you enjoy yourself!

Old 06-01-2019, 09:12 PM

30 posts, read 27,984 times
Apartments on Sepulveda Blvd, north of LAX, are OK and reasonable in rent compared to the rest of LA. Also try Culver City again.

Old 06-01-2019, 09:29 PM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,192,051 times
Apartments.com isn't very useful here, at least not in my experience. There's also something called Westside Rentals, but I've heard nothing but bad reviews of them. What I've noticed is that it's much easier to see a neighborhood you like and gather contact info posted outside the buildings. I can share what I did, and it could alleviate the stress of everything else on your plate.

First, I arranged a U-Pack (ABF) to move my things because that's consistently been the cheapest option. I reserved a motel and a storage unit near the ABF facility. I moved my things in (minus some essentials) and left it alone, then moved to an Airbnb for a month. It wasn't an ideal living situation, but it was temporary and allowed me time to look for apartments here. I went to work as usual, and took care of all the other relocation things on the side (car registration, looking for an apartment, etc.) I found a place I liked and then just checked out of the Airbnb and moved into my new place.

With that method, you can go get a feel for neighborhoods and explore after work and on weekends, plus see apartments you like without committing to an area or building. There was also so much else to do as it was, and I had to do everything on my own, that this took some stress and pressure off the situation. I'm sure you already have a lot to do as it is, so this would buy you some time AND give you more options by seeing places not listed online.

Old 06-02-2019, 08:27 AM

1,631 posts, read 2,387,480 times
Just Airbnb for a few weeks while you are here. experience many areas. Then choose something. I wouldnt sign a lease from far away not knowing the areas.

LA neighborhoods or areas are quite large. Santa Monica is almost 9 square miles. So quite sizeable.
Marina Del Rey is maybe 1.5 square miles but mostly marina water.
Culver city is 5 square miles.

Most neighborhoods in LA city nearby (brentwood, Sawtelle, westwood, West LA, Rancho Park, Cheviot hills, palms, venice, mar vista, playa vista, westchester) are maybe 1-3 square miles.
All of them are fine. Not dangerous. But they are varying degrees of nice areas. Brentwood, Cheviot Hills, Westwood, Playa Vista, Rancho Park are in the upscale expensive rental side with very expensive houses/mansions near it. The rest are just below that rents lesser. Venice is expensive but deals with urban issues like homelessness and hobos, drug marijuana use that is known for many decades despite 1-2 million dollar homes.

Santa Monica is nice. The desirable areas are closer to the ocean or north. I lived once on the east side (Ivy League streets). Quite boring there, dont really have the beach vibe 2-3 miles inland not shops, trendy bars and restaurants either, but still expensive.

So I advise, just take your time. Do airbnb/motels for a while, find the right area, put your items in storage or have them shipped later. You might find cheaper basic apartments that dont get listed on apartments.com because they are simple 3-10 unit apartments rather than 40-300 unit mega apartments with lots of money to advertise/make a website.

Also l
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles