Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 12:16 AM

4,490 posts, read 3,930,229 times

Advertisements

For those of you dreading spending all day at the DMV to get a Real ID license, take note. The passport CARD is acceptable as a real ID. It's less bulky to carry than a passport and fits in your wallet. Just thought I'd mention it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2019, 05:24 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
The passport CARD is acceptable as a real ID. It's less bulky to carry than a passport and fits in your wallet.
Good point, although for those who don't have a passport, getting one seems to be almost as much of a hassle as obtaining a REAL ID.

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...port/card.html

If you fly within the United States or enter secure federal buildings and military bases, you will need to a valid passport or other federally approved document, such as a REAL ID driver license or identification card, beginning October 1, 2020.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/realid

Old 10-03-2019, 11:40 PM

3,347 posts, read 2,311,269 times
True a passport card is a real ID, there is really no need to scramble for real ID, The DHS should just do an enhanced*ID*card on the federal level.
Though I be curious does getting a real ID or not actually affect the widespread sharing of information of DMV databases which I read is part of the Real ID Act. Appearing to federalize individual state's DMV data. It seems to open up a can of worms in states where privacy is valued and the state does not want the feds to enforce immigration based on DMV records.*Are nonreal ID or drivers who had not chosen to get real ID also subject to info sharing?
It's sad that California gave in, other states as well, including ones that fought tooth to nail against it which had forced DHS to constantly push back on implementation dates for the last decade. California was one of the big gorillas keeping Real ID from actually taking effect, it would be political suicide should 40 million people all of a sudden be unable to fly. Interesting though why California does not want to embrace the "enhanced drivers license" concept instead of as around 70,000 drivers cross the border at the San Ysidro border each day. That way its much easier for them so they won't need to carry a passport or a separate passport card to get through.*

Old 10-04-2019, 05:24 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
From the DMV's website:

What is a Real ID?

Do I have to get a Real ID?

Do I need a Real ID to...

https://realid.dmv.ca.gov/what-is-real-id-faq/

Old 10-04-2019, 11:55 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
I'm not getting a Real ID. I'm a 13th generation American and I shouldn't need a little card to prove it.

Old 10-04-2019, 03:07 PM

1,203 posts, read 668,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
I'm not getting a Real ID. I'm a 13th generation American and I shouldn't need a little card to prove it.
Enjoy never traveling by plane again within the US after next year.

Old 10-04-2019, 03:26 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad debt View Post
Enjoy never traveling by plane again within the US after next year.
Maybe he has a passport to use instead. But if you were willing to submit to all the verification needed to get a passport, I can't imagine why doing the same to get a real ID driver's license would be an issue.

Or maybe he just really doesn't ever plan to fly again, in which case, who cares about the ID.

Old 10-04-2019, 07:56 PM

3,347 posts, read 2,311,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Maybe he has a passport to use instead. But if you were willing to submit to all the verification needed to get a passport, I can't imagine why doing the same to get a real ID driver's license would be an issue.

Or maybe he just really doesn't ever plan to fly again, in which case, who cares about the ID.
I am guessing you haven’t been to the DMV for a long time or live in such a small area where DMV lines arnt an issue and you don’t have to spend all day for every little thing and possibly have to take a day off work as well. It’s far less of a hassle to get a passport particularly if you have the documents. Non citizens would have their passports they entered the country from home they can use which is acceptable.
Maybe if the real id license is an enhanced drivers license that allows you to do what a passport card allows you to do and cross borders such as to TJ with just the license it may make more sense as you wont need to carry a passport in addition. But CA does not do enhanced drivers licenses even for its real id.

Based on Real Ids history I bet the deadline would be pushed back again just like they always did. Remember how they said it would take effect this year a year ago or so?

Last edited by citizensadvocate; 10-04-2019 at 08:12 PM..

Old 10-04-2019, 08:10 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,278,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
I am guessing you haven’t been to the DMV for a long time or live in such a small area where DMV lines arnt an issue and you don’t have to spend all day for every little thing and possibly have to take a day off work as well. It’s far less of a hassle to get a passport particularly if you have the documents.
Maybe if the real id license is an enhanced drivers license that allows you to do what a passport card allows you to do and cross borders such as to TJ with just the license it may make more sense as you wont need to carry a passport in addition. But CA does not do enhanced drivers licenses even for its real id.

Based on Real Ids history I bet the deadline would be pushed back again just like it always did. Remember how they said it would take effect this year a year ago?
The DMV is a nightmare that I’d rather avoid. Since I have a passport book and card, they can keep their Real ID.

Just know that if anyone decides to get a passport it can take 6-8 weeks to arrive.

Old 10-04-2019, 10:14 PM

6,506 posts, read 7,536,063 times
Just to be clear, the passport card is not valid for international air travel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles