Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2019, 05:33 PM

1 posts, read 832 times

Advertisements

I added a small Gable roof to my existing porch roof. It it quite sturdy and did it with my body who is a weekend carpenter warrior. I took the opportunity to re-roof my entire house and pulled permits. Now the city inspector wants an architect to approve the pitch of my new gable or aka California roof. Any suggestions on who I could hire in the Los Angeles area or what is my best next action.

Greatly appreciate your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2019, 06:43 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,664,868 times
Why does an architect need to approve it? Isn't that an engineer's job? And why can't the city inspector use their own eyeballs to approve the pitch in the first place? Do they not know trigonometry at city hall?

Old 07-30-2019, 09:06 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,143,462 times
First mistake you made is actually puling the permit. Unless you absolutely need to pull a permit, my suggestion is do not.

Old 07-30-2019, 09:10 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,974,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gened42 View Post
I added a small Gable roof to my existing porch roof. It it quite sturdy and did it with my body who is a weekend carpenter warrior. I took the opportunity to re-roof my entire house and pulled permits. Now the city inspector wants an architect to approve the pitch of my new gable or aka California roof. Any suggestions on who I could hire in the Los Angeles area or what is my best next action.

Greatly appreciate your thoughts.
That should be easy. It's a small job for an architect that most should be able to do. Just Google residential architects and call them until you find one willing to do that small of a job.

Old 07-31-2019, 08:30 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,801,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
First mistake you made is actually puling the permit. Unless you absolutely need to pull a permit, my suggestion is do not.
This is partly why so many consumers get screwed with shoddy work and stuff done incorrectly by "professionals" .

Old 07-31-2019, 08:58 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,989,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
Seriously. I would guess 97% of the homes in Highland park have some unpermitted work on them. They get bought, sold, and flipped every single day. Pulling permits in LA County is a recipe for disaster.

Old 07-31-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
This is partly why so many consumers get screwed with shoddy work and stuff done incorrectly by "professionals" .

Most of the time it's money making for the city, nothing more. If you change a toilet you need a permit, if you change dishwasher you need a permit. Etc.

Old 08-05-2019, 10:42 AM

2,347 posts, read 3,334,876 times
I agree with the overall sentiment of pulling permits often being nothing more than unnecessarily onerous and money making schemes for the city. I agree with all of those sentiments 100%.

But.....there's always that "but".

It is a double edged sword.

My understanding is (and someone correct me if i'm wrong), but if you do any sort of substantial work like adding on a room, building a patio, or anything that fundamentally changes the existing structure, and it is *NOT* permitted, then A) It cannot be included as a chargeable improvement towards eventual sale price. And B) if there's damage-such as a fire or earthquake, it would void your homeowners insurance.

I can see with not wanting to deal with the hassle of getting a permit to have some grass laid or a bathroom painted.

But anything else, you do that at your own peril. Unless you are absolutely certain you never, ever, ever plan to sell the place.

And all other things being equal, I'll still take a licensed over an unlicensed contractor any time, any place.

But that's another discussion.

Old 08-05-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
I agree with the overall sentiment of pulling permits often being nothing more than unnecessarily onerous and money making schemes for the city. I agree with all of those sentiments 100%.

But.....there's always that "but".

It is a double edged sword.

My understanding is (and someone correct me if i'm wrong), but if you do any sort of substantial work like adding on a room, building a patio, or anything that fundamentally changes the existing structure, and it is *NOT* permitted, then A) It cannot be included as a chargeable improvement towards eventual sale price. And B) if there's damage-such as a fire or earthquake, it would void your homeowners insurance.

I can see with not wanting to deal with the hassle of getting a permit to have some grass laid or a bathroom painted.

But anything else, you do that at your own peril. Unless you are absolutely certain you never, ever, ever plan to sell the place.

And all other things being equal, I'll still take a licensed over an unlicensed contractor any time, any place.

But that's another discussion.

As licensed real estate broker I can answer questions about real estate. Yes you're correct about not being able to count not permitted work. Sometimes we do raise price of property higher compare to compatible property in taking a count of what is there but officially it can't be listed. Regarding fire insurance, that is more tricky. If fire is shown that it started in the non permitted space and it's as result of faulty work it might not be covered. It's really depends on insurance company. If fire starts in permitted structure then when insurance is paying out they will not cover any part of not permitted part of structure. Personally I would never not get permit for any major work such additional room etc. There are many cities that demand permits for almost anything including changing of a toilet which to me is just ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles