Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2019, 05:04 AM

19 posts, read 28,832 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm 30 m and I've lived in LA before for a few years, but ran low on money and ran home to save up to do it again as I loved my time there. So, here we go again.

I'm planning to drive across country with my car (didn't have a car last time) and I'm looking to spend max 1200 for rent (that high hopefully includes utilities and will almost definitely be shared) but much prefer my own room and bathroom. If I can be picky I also want an apartment in a gated building with gym and hottub, without roaches. I also don't have a job lined up and I'm planning to make 15k of savings last along with doordash and uber and any odd jobs I can pick up to slow the fall while I look for something real.

But honestly I'm probably going to end up in a shared room with bunk beds. Hopefully with a good roommate though. I've been seeing these shared with lots of people dorm-style condos for artists on craigslist, might look into that more.

I figure I'm gonna have to start in the valley somewhere, but I'm not too familiar with it and don't have street smarts, so don't wanna end up somewhere not safe. How is NoHo, WeHo, Tarzana, Torrance, Koreatown, Gardena, Inglewood, Silver Lake, Echo Park, and Van Nuys for starters?

When I lived out there before it was about 5 years ago, in Westwood (fav) Beverly Hills, Burbank areas. Max for rent of my own room and bathroom was 800. Things have changed but I wonder how much.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2019, 08:07 AM

123 posts, read 101,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sy_Mercade View Post
How is NoHo, WeHo, Tarzana, Torrance, Koreatown, Gardena, Inglewood, Silver Lake, Echo Park, and Van Nuys for starters?
These places aren't that bad (maybe boring) but I'm not sure about the rest: NoHo, (west) Torrance, Tarzana, Van Nuys.
I wouldn't feel uncomfortable in any of the places but some may be way too expensive but some might be better for door dash type jobs due to their densities.

Old 08-22-2019, 05:12 PM

Location: Midwesterner living in California (previously East Coast)
296 posts, read 438,060 times
Quote:
Hello, I'm 30 m and I've lived in LA before for a few years, but ran low on money and ran home to save up to do it again as I loved my time there. So, here we go again.

I'm planning to drive across country with my car (didn't have a car last time) and I'm looking to spend max 1200 for rent (that high hopefully includes utilities and will almost definitely be shared) but much prefer my own room and bathroom. If I can be picky I also want an apartment in a gated building with gym and hottub, without roaches. I also don't have a job lined up and I'm planning to make 15k of savings last along with doordash and uber and any odd jobs I can pick up to slow the fall while I look for something real.

But honestly I'm probably going to end up in a shared room with bunk beds. Hopefully with a good roommate though. I've been seeing these shared with lots of people dorm-style condos for artists on craigslist, might look into that more.

I figure I'm gonna have to start in the valley somewhere, but I'm not too familiar with it and don't have street smarts, so don't wanna end up somewhere not safe. How is NoHo, WeHo, Tarzana, Torrance, Koreatown, Gardena, Inglewood, Silver Lake, Echo Park, and Van Nuys for starters?

When I lived out there before it was about 5 years ago, in Westwood (fav) Beverly Hills, Burbank areas. Max for rent of my own room and bathroom was 800. Things have changed but I wonder how much.

Thanks
    • WeHo, Silver Lake, and Echo Park are likely too pricey for your budget.
    • I would skip on Torrance and Gardena.
    • Inglewood is starting to become more of a "good deal" with people who want to be close enough but don't want to pay premium prices for urban living. It's not the most exciting area, but it's good enough.
    • KTown is very central and has a lot of apartment buildings. It's not as high priced as the above-mentioned areas. Though some areas of Ktown are sketchy. Just make sure the apartment actually is inside Ktown and not an adjacent rougher neighborhood.
    • NoHo and Tarzana are less expensive than the central LA spots. NoHo probably has more going on for younger people.

Old 09-09-2019, 12:51 AM

5 posts, read 2,996 times
If you want safety, stay north of the 10 for the most part.
I'd suggest, adding Los Feliz, Burbank and and Atwater village to your list

Old 09-09-2019, 10:48 AM

34 posts, read 24,389 times
Since you don’t have a job yet, what brings you to LA? What are you looking for?

Old 09-10-2019, 02:01 PM

1,159 posts, read 619,809 times
$1200 on rent max?!? That's awfully low. You'll end up spending MINIMUM of $1500. If you want gated, no roaches, etc., you're looking at around $1500+ in maybe Norwalk/ Downey....
Please be realistic.

Old 09-10-2019, 02:03 PM

1,159 posts, read 619,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markthegnome View Post
If you want safety, stay north of the 10 for the most part.
I'd suggest, adding Los Feliz, Burbank and and Atwater village to your list
Ha not in the OPs unrealistic price range.

Old 09-13-2019, 07:47 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,979,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilLisa83 View Post
Ha not in the OPs unrealistic price range.
What's so unrealistic about $1,200 in rent with roommates?

Old 09-14-2019, 02:21 PM

19 posts, read 28,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anikom15 View Post
Since you don’t have a job yet, what brings you to LA? What are you looking for?
Ah you know, joining the crowd of foolishly chasing dreams in hopes of fulfilling creativity and midlife crisis.

...Plus I was there for 5 years already and loved it. People are nicer even if it might've been fake, more jobs for film/video/music, the lack of weather, one place I lived in had a hot tub on the roof and a gym in a gated building for $700 rent where I could leave at any time because month to month, I could bike places and always stay active, there's always something to do, stores are open 24/7, meetups.

Let me tell you it is nothing like that in NH.

Old 09-17-2019, 09:13 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,651,508 times
Quote:
Ah you know, joining the crowd of foolishly chasing dreams in hopes of fulfilling creativity and midlife crisis.

...Plus I was there for 5 years already and loved it. People are nicer even if it might've been fake, more jobs for film/video/music, the lack of weather, one place I lived in had a hot tub on the roof and a gym in a gated building for $700 rent where I could leave at any time because month to month, I could bike places and always stay active, there's always something to do, stores are open 24/7, meetups.

Let me tell you it is nothing like that in NH.
You can't do that here now rent wise. We have a housing shortage and rent is very high. Traffic is a lot worse too. Just in the past 5 years I've noticed a real difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles