Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2019, 03:07 PM

560 posts, read 786,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Fine, but please close your chimney so the whole neighborhood doesn't need to breathe your toxins.
If I close the flue to my fireplace all the smoke will be driven right back into my house! Besides, no one in the neighborhood would be able enjoy the aroma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2019, 09:16 PM

2,353 posts, read 5,376,131 times
I don't like going to bed with a fire in the house. Plus, there's a cold draft when you wake and the fire has gone out. Its also stinky and dirty so no thanks for me

Old 12-16-2019, 10:06 PM

8,338 posts, read 2,965,021 times
I burn bits of wood and weeds in a 55 gallon drum out back. Fun on cold nights.

Old 12-16-2019, 10:43 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadory View Post
If I close the flue to my fireplace all the smoke will be driven right back into my house!
Well then, you seem to acknowledge that it's bad to fill your lungs with that smoke. So why do you want your neighbors to inhale it?

Old 12-16-2019, 10:47 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
So then, if you have a penchant for a fire in your fireplace, get a gas line to it if you don't have one, and get fireglass and a porcelain log. That way, you'll enjoy your fire WITHOUT STINKING UP THE WHOLE NEIGHBORHOOD!!!!!

Arghhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!
CA requires wood stoves to have filters, to eliminate that. I'm not sure what the law is for ordinary fireplaces; are they required to have inserts, now?

You'd be surprised about homesteading; the WA State forum gets inquiries from time to time form people back East about land for homesteading, lol.

Old 12-17-2019, 10:36 AM

560 posts, read 786,706 times
Quote:
Well then, you seem to acknowledge that it's bad to fill your lungs with that smoke. So why do you want your neighbors to inhale it?
Chimney smoke recreates a bygone era. I'm pretty sure my neighbors like the smell because after I've burned wood in my fireplace they ask me, "Did you have your fireplace going again?" After all, wood smoke is just as harmless as second hand cigarette smoke when inhaled out of doors.

Old 12-17-2019, 10:38 AM

5,222 posts, read 3,014,614 times
Quote:
Fine, but please close your chimney so the whole neighborhood doesn't need to breathe your toxins.

You don't have a car then right?

Old 12-17-2019, 11:27 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,901,429 times
I too love the scent of wood burning. It smells like autumn or winter. Smells like Christmas.

I don't have a fireplace, but I love it when I walk on a crisp, cool winter day, and smell someone's wood burning fireplace. It's like a little Christmas gift that's shared with the entire neighborhood. Like a lawn decoration.

By contrast, I hate gas. I shut the gas to my stove when I moved into my condo 30 years ago, and have never turned it on again. I've only ever used a microwave or toaster oven to heat food.

Gas is dangerous. Gas can explode. I think it's crazy to have gas lines under all the streets. I'd ban gas. End the use of gas ovens and fireplaces. You can always use electric ovens.

When the Big One hits, gas lines will break all over L.A., causing explosions and fires.

Old 12-18-2019, 12:56 AM

1,350 posts, read 819,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
I too love the scent of wood burning. It smells like autumn or winter. Smells like Christmas.

I don't have a fireplace, but I love it when I walk on a crisp, cool winter day, and smell someone's wood burning fireplace. It's like a little Christmas gift that's shared with the entire neighborhood. Like a lawn decoration.

By contrast, I hate gas. I shut the gas to my stove when I moved into my condo 30 years ago, and have never turned it on again. I've only ever used a microwave or toaster oven to heat food.

Gas is dangerous. Gas can explode. I think it's crazy to have gas lines under all the streets. I'd ban gas. End the use of gas ovens and fireplaces. You can always use electric ovens.

When the Big One hits, gas lines will break all over L.A., causing explosions and fires.
I am born and raised here, and have been through the large earthquakes, with no major gas explosions to speak of. Why not get a carbon monoxide detector in your home? It's a shame you won't use your oven. Do you have gas heat?

I don't like someone's fireplace smell filling up my place through my open windows. People here seem to use their fireplaces the second it turns 60 degrees at night.

Old 12-18-2019, 08:20 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,648,891 times
Quote:
...the whole neighborhood doesn't need to breathe your toxins.
But I like to eat beans for dinner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: