Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2020, 02:45 PM

5 posts, read 5,143 times

Advertisements

Hello Los Angelinos, (is this really what you guys call yourselves or is this something that we were told should call residents of Los Angeles?)

I am in my mid 30's with two kids and married. I have lived in Chicago my whole life and as I get older, I realize how much the lack of sunshine, the frigid temperatures and the lack of mountains affect me. My kids are 6 and 8. I love fitness and the times I have visited California, I can just picture myself running the trails and spending time with my family in the great outdoors.

I love the laid-back attitude of Los Angeles residents and as a foodie, love that I would not be giving up the diversity that I have here in Chicago. (OMG I am in love with 85°C bakery)

I am of Mexican descent but born and raised in Chicago - went to college and law school, which I am still completing. I have about one year to go.

Minus the career advice for lawyers in California, I would like to know what areas of Los Angeles or its metropolitan area is a good place to raise a family for someone like myself where I can still be exposed to Latinos but not to sound snotty but the more polished kind?

I do want to expose my kids to other kids like themselves that come from a mixed background but I also do not want to live in "the hood". I would like to live in a community where people are some what college educated, share the same type of "middle-income" lifestyle as myself and there is a mix of diversity but without all the "inner-city" problems.

I suppose that my income as an entry level attorney will not surpass 90K and as a median household we would be around 130K, if that helps.

I thank everybody for your suggestions. I have only been to Rosedale, Downey and I believe Carson?
Obviously I know the pricier the area, the nicer it is but keeping our budget in mind, what are some good areas we could consider looking into??

Thanks again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2020, 03:06 PM

585 posts, read 635,217 times
Yes, we are generally referred to as Angelinos, but it not that commonly used. Or just SoCal residents. People are more likely to say, "I'm from LA" than "I'm an Angelino."

If you want "polished" hispanic influences, they can be found all over. Okay, let me just say it like this:

L.A. is not necessarily tied up in little neat cultural enclaves like much of Chicago or NY. While there are areas that cultures have grouped themselves into (i.e.- Armenians in Glendale, Persians in W.LA and Irvine, Vietnamese in Westminster, etc.), you will find all groups have influence all over.

You will find what you are looking for more likely based on socio-economic level. Poorer people of all backgrounds will be found in poorer neighborhoods, and well off and well educated hispanics will be found in all neighborhoods of middle to higher incomes.

Asians, hispanics, and whites are a majority of the population, so you find people of those backgrounds all over, and not just in one neighborhood.

Yes, I agree, I love 85-degrees C. If you haven't had the iced sea-salt foam (shake it first) coffee, you are missing out on a real treat. If you haven't had Mexican food from Avila's El Ranchito, it is my fave. You will find cultural dining ALL over the southland.

I suggest you find a job first. Then rent in an area near that job. After a year, you can better determine what neighborhood (or job for that matter) you and your family can best afford and will work best for you all.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-28-2020, 03:24 PM

5 posts, read 5,143 times
Thanks so much! You are so right, I overlooked the fact that L.A is not segregated as it is here in Chicago which is kind of nice.

Thanks for the tip, I will have to try that one when we visit again. I will also be sure to check out Avila's next time we are in town. That is one thing I loved, the variety is everywhere not secluded to one area like it is here.

I was also taken to Porto's which I am glad we did a ton of hiking because we sure did carb-overload in our brief time we were there!

Old 01-29-2020, 08:24 AM

585 posts, read 635,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ang444 View Post
I was also taken to Porto's which I am glad we did a ton of hiking because we sure did carb-overload in our brief time we were there!
Porto's is a great bakery!!

Old 01-29-2020, 02:05 PM

138 posts, read 246,781 times
congrats on almost finishing law school. an impressive thing to do while raising kids.

Old 01-30-2020, 12:45 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,551,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ang444 View Post
Hello Los Angelinos, (is this really what you guys call yourselves or is this something that we were told should call residents of Los Angeles?)

I am in my mid 30's with two kids and married. I have lived in Chicago my whole life and as I get older, I realize how much the lack of sunshine, the frigid temperatures and the lack of mountains affect me. My kids are 6 and 8. I love fitness and the times I have visited California, I can just picture myself running the trails and spending time with my family in the great outdoors.

I love the laid-back attitude of Los Angeles residents and as a foodie, love that I would not be giving up the diversity that I have here in Chicago. (OMG I am in love with 85°C bakery)

I am of Mexican descent but born and raised in Chicago - went to college and law school, which I am still completing. I have about one year to go.

Minus the career advice for lawyers in California, I would like to know what areas of Los Angeles or its metropolitan area is a good place to raise a family for someone like myself where I can still be exposed to Latinos but not to sound snotty but the more polished kind?

I do want to expose my kids to other kids like themselves that come from a mixed background but I also do not want to live in "the hood". I would like to live in a community where people are some what college educated, share the same type of "middle-income" lifestyle as myself and there is a mix of diversity but without all the "inner-city" problems.

I suppose that my income as an entry level attorney will not surpass 90K and as a median household we would be around 130K, if that helps.

I thank everybody for your suggestions. I have only been to Rosedale, Downey and I believe Carson?
Obviously I know the pricier the area, the nicer it is but keeping our budget in mind, what are some good areas we could consider looking into??

Thanks again
You'll get over your melancholy once the temperatures warm up here, and once you look at the cost-of-living hike and hit to your quality-of-life that will bring. You'll wonder why you even entertained it in the first place.

Old 01-30-2020, 12:58 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,860,522 times
You will have plenty to choose from. There are almost too many options for you to consider. Try to figure out where you can get the ideal job then find your place from there. There are cities within cities here. I have no idea where Rosedale even is, but so far you've been to only one corner of this vast area. We get quite a few transplants from Chicago. I'm going hiking this Saturday with our Chicago transplant friends and it will be 80 degrees. They don't miss it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles