Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2020, 08:14 AM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
80% of Californians support sheltering in place for the time being.
Looks as if it's 75% as of the last week of April, according to this:

COVID tracking poll/California Health Care Foundation:
https://www.chcf.org/blog/covid-19-t...ong-as-needed/

Download the charts and data:
https://www.chcf.org/project/califor...ys/#Background
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2020, 09:12 AM

4,627 posts, read 3,396,306 times
Unfortunately, stupidity and willful ignorance appear more contagious than the virus itself.

What we see on display with many of these protesters is a childish two-dimensional view of freedom: one where any suggestion of collective duty and responsibility to others is like putting them in the chains of tyranny.

This generation of snowflakes wouldn't last a minute during prior eras in our history: like WWII when Americans on the home front planted victory gardens, endured serious rationing of goods, etc. Not to mention the numerous prior occasions in our history when quarantines were imposed to protect the public against yellow fever, small pox and other infectious diseases.

Old 05-08-2020, 09:20 AM

21,740 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
Unfortunately, stupidity and willful ignorance appear more contagious than the virus itself.

What we see on display with many of these protesters is a childish two-dimensional view of freedom: one where any suggestion of collective duty and responsibility to others is like putting them in the chains of tyranny.

This generation of snowflakes wouldn't last a minute during prior eras in our history: like WWII when Americans on the home front planted victory gardens, endured serious rationing of goods, etc. Not to mention the numerous prior occasions in our history when quarantines were imposed to protect the public against yellow fever, small pox and other infectious diseases.
Top, spot on, post of the crisis.

Old 05-08-2020, 09:27 AM

^When I see people like this ^ protesting "tyranny" I chuckle and think of the guy in the photo below:

^That is Someone opposing actual tyranny and doing it unarmed no less.

But hey when the police academy has rejected you and you are either too old or too scared to join the military, all that is left is make believe.

Old 05-08-2020, 09:30 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,433,296 times
This opening that Newsom is crowing about is no opening at all. curbside service is not opening.

Old 05-08-2020, 10:39 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,631,284 times
Quote:

Nearly 1/2 the cases and over half the deaths being in LA County, while only having a quarter of the states population, probably has a lot to do with peoples perception of the dangers of the covid virus.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nyt...cases.amp.html

I’ve had the same issues with people from New York City posting on other sites in near hysteria, not realizing that there’s no where else in the US where the covid virus has had any sort of similar impact.

I am quite curious why LA County is so disproportionally affected compared to other CA counties. I thought it might be due to testing, but That wouldn’t affect deaths...

Old 05-08-2020, 10:44 AM

460 posts, read 232,448 times
Well, Luther, the salon owner who was jailed in Texas over reopening her business, had been released from jail after injunction issued by TX Supreme Court and after Governor Abbott had modified his order, retroactively, to eliminate any jail possibility for any such offense.

"Throwing Texans in jail who have had their businesses shut down through no fault of their own is nonsensical, and I will not allow it to happen,” Abbott said in a statement. “That is why I am modifying my executive orders to ensure confinement is not a punishment for violating an order. This order is retroactive to April 2nd, supersedes local orders and if correctly applied should free Shelley Luther."

"On Wednesday, Abbott, the state's Attorney General Ken Paxton and Lieutenant Gov. Dan Patrick called for Luther's release after she was jailed by Dallas County State District Judge Eric Moyé. The officials said he had abused his discretion"

Old 05-08-2020, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
Nearly 1/2 the cases and over half the deaths being in LA County, while only having a quarter of the states population, probably has a lot to do with peoples perception of the dangers of the covid virus.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nyt...cases.amp.html

I’ve had the same issues with people from New York City posting on other sites in near hysteria, not realizing that there’s no where else in the US where the covid virus has had any sort of similar impact.
I am well aware of the regional differences. As Newsom noted a few days ago, the reopening plan for California allows for “regional variance” permitting rural counties with few coronavirus cases to potentially go further than urban areas. As long as it follows the data/science that makes total sense.

The issue is the handful of counties that jumped the gun and tried to reopen early. They are the equivalent of a teammate making a selfish unforced error.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post

I am quite curious why LA County is so disproportionally affected compared to other CA counties. I thought it might be due to testing, but That wouldn’t affect deaths...
Probably too early to say for sure.

But the best explanations I have heard thus far from epidemiologists include: I) the Bay Area moved faster on sheltering in place...LA lagged by a few days and that can make a significant difference; and II) a higher rate of poverty and service sector employees in LA County as compared to SF/Silicon Valley where a high percentage of workers (tech, etc.) can easily work from home.

Old 05-08-2020, 01:07 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
I am well aware of the regional differences. As Newsom noted a few days ago, the reopening plan for California allows for “regional variance” permitting rural counties with few coronavirus cases to potentially go further than urban areas. As long as it follows the data/science that makes total sense.

The issue is the handful of counties that jumped the gun and tried to reopen early. They are the equivalent of a teammate making a selfish unforced error.
Completely agree.

Old 05-08-2020, 01:44 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,631,284 times
Quote:

Probably too early to say for sure.

But the best explanations I have heard thus far from epidemiologists include: I) the Bay Area moved faster on sheltering in place...LA lagged by a few days and that can make a significant difference; and II) a higher rate of poverty and service sector employees in LA County as compared to SF/Silicon Valley where a high percentage of workers (tech, etc.) can easily work from home.
That doesn’t make sense. High number of service workers in OC, SB, Riverside, and San Diego counties and all of those are multiples lower than LA County.

And the few counties that jumped the gun are isolated and very low in population not to mention very spread out. They aren’t spreading anything anywhere.

Last edited by JohnG72; 05-08-2020 at 02:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles