Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 01:29 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,204,833 times

Advertisements

The more I read here the better I feel about our move to Boston! Nice 58 today with light showers and getting very colorful and green again after winter. Nothing like having regular four seasons. Even though the winters can be rough ocassionally, it just makes spring a huge celebration of humanity coming outside and enjoying mother nature. You really appreciate great weather when you do have four seasons rather that warm, warmer, hot and hotter. Sorry to hear about the hot weather so early.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 03:01 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,639,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
The more I read here the better I feel about our move to Boston! Nice 58 today with light showers and getting very colorful and green again after winter. Nothing like having regular four seasons. Even though the winters can be rough ocassionally, it just makes spring a huge celebration of humanity coming outside and enjoying mother nature. You really appreciate great weather when you do have four seasons rather that warm, warmer, hot and hotter. Sorry to hear about the hot weather so early.
don't be sorry. some of us absolutely love it!

Old 04-27-2008, 06:39 PM

485 posts, read 1,704,193 times
LOL, I know I am spoiled!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
http://www.nqcc.org/nqccweb/htdocs/Training%20pg%20crying.jpg (broken link)

(not a copywritten photo)

Old 04-27-2008, 07:36 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
Is copywritten [sic] anything like copyrighted?

Old 10-30-2008, 02:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,579 times
Mission Viejo and Irvine has it all!

Old 01-07-2009, 11:32 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Tolerance & acceptance of other cultures is widespread in California [progressive attitudes]. The state supreme court will soon announce gay marriage & nobody pays attention.

There's something to be said about exposing children to openness & an unbiased lifestyle.
What a sad remnant from last year.

You're right, though. The truth is that no one really was paying much attention to same-sex marriage. It wasn't until the issue was placed on the ballot and a lot of people got to say, "Cool! I get to express my disapproval for homosexuality on a secret ballot and I don't have to tell a soul about it!"

A lot of them probably didn't even know it was up for a vote. A lot of them probably didn't even realize that same-sex marriage was legal in California for about six months prior to the vote.

Can anyone honestly say that their lives are better now that same-sex marriage is illegal in California?

Old 12-31-2009, 07:16 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,696,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousObserver View Post
Hi - I'm posting to this forum because it looks like I've finally found a reliable source of info with a nice, intelligent community of users (this is not easy to find, given this internet we hath wrought). Now hopefully you're all sufficiently flattered to suffer my ignorance for a bit.

I currently live in Madison, WI and have finally convinced my wife to get away from this weather. Of course, one of the most perfect places on Earth as far as weather is concerned is Southern California. For me it's an easy choice, but she's not convinced. The seemingly insurmountable cost of living makes her afraid to set foot in the area. We've read about the freefalling housing prices (good news if we can move there and scoop up a deal), but the amount of additional income we would stand to make (probably 30% at most) doesn't account for the apparent increase in housing/living costs (at least 60% it seems - even if we get a great deal). She doesn't see why we don't just move to Florida or Texas where we don't incur such a "penalty" in housing. My argument of beautiful, comfortable days vs. oppressive heat and humidity looks rather flimsy in the face of having to live in a 2 bedroom condo (LA) vs. being able to afford a 4-bedroom house with a pool (TX, FL).

I guess my questions really come down to:

-Is it worth sacrificing the cheap housing and relatively sane cost of living for the gorgeous California weather?
-Am I deluding myself into thinking that your terrific weather is really all it's cracked up to be? I know weather affects everyone's quality of life differently, but are there any transplants out there who can share their experiences?
-Should we be considering a city other than LA? I guess San Diego would be the only other option if we're being stringent about the weather. But everything else factors in too: crime, schools, traffic, economy.

I know this is a pretty wide-open topic and is dependent on personal preferences, but I guess I'm interested in hearing whatever anyone has to say. How many of you went to LA mainly for the weather? How many stay because of it? If you've been there for a while, do you take it for granted?

To me, the weather seems like one of the greatest things about the area, and I'm mainly concerned with being able to afford to live in a place that we would like. I know it's an enormous city and there are plenty of places to live and work, but I just don't know if most people find themselves having to compromise just to live there.
I discovered this old thread by accident today and as a 26 year resident of Los Angeles County, I will address these questions one by one.

No, I don't think its worth sacrificing the cheaper cost of housing and sane cost of living for the so-called "gorgeous" California weather unless you are able to get a job that pays well enough to support yourself and your family. Then it MAY be worth it but even then, you will be stressed out. This place is way too expensive and it is my biggest gripe about this place other than the pollution. I put the word gorgeous in quotes because the weather is only really nice from I'd say December until about May and it could get hot before then too. Its not unheard of to see over 80+ degrees in February which was what happened last year.

It depends what kind of weather you like as to whether it is all that it is cracked up to be. I'd prefer to see more rain and clouds instead of constant dust and heat but that's just me. In fact, I really don't let the weather dictate my mood anymore. It is what it is and I don't think that moving someplace ONLY because of the weather is the best reason because there are other more important things to consider.

No, I did not move to L.A. for the weather. In fact I moved here not by choice but because my family came here. No I do not stay primarily for the weather. I am here for some other reasons. Do I take things for granted? Hmmm.... I don't think so.

Old 01-01-2010, 05:42 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,294,617 times
I skipped from page 1 to page 6 of this old post, so I might be repeating what someone else has said.
Winter is beautiful. Summer is hot.
Does smog count as weather? I don't mind the heat, but the smog is hard to take.

Old 01-01-2010, 12:04 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
Winter is beautiful. Summer is hot. Does smog count as weather? I don't mind the heat, but the smog is hard to take.
I mind the heat, and it's HOT here in August and September.....hotter, it seems, than it was when I was a kid growing up. However, I believe the smog is better than it was. We used to have third stage smog alerts and had to come in from the school playground in the 1960's. I agree that no one should move anywhere solely because of the weather.

Old 01-01-2010, 12:59 PM

687 posts, read 1,119,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousObserver View Post
Hi - I'm posting to this forum because it looks like I've finally found a reliable source of info with a nice, intelligent community of users (this is not easy to find, given this internet we hath wrought). Now hopefully you're all sufficiently flattered to suffer my ignorance for a bit.

I currently live in Madison, WI and have finally convinced my wife to get away from this weather. Of course, one of the most perfect places on Earth as far as weather is concerned is Southern California. For me it's an easy choice, but she's not convinced. The seemingly insurmountable cost of living makes her afraid to set foot in the area. We've read about the freefalling housing prices (good news if we can move there and scoop up a deal), but the amount of additional income we would stand to make (probably 30% at most) doesn't account for the apparent increase in housing/living costs (at least 60% it seems - even if we get a great deal). She doesn't see why we don't just move to Florida or Texas where we don't incur such a "penalty" in housing. My argument of beautiful, comfortable days vs. oppressive heat and humidity looks rather flimsy in the face of having to live in a 2 bedroom condo (LA) vs. being able to afford a 4-bedroom house with a pool (TX, FL).

I guess my questions really come down to:

-Is it worth sacrificing the cheap housing and relatively sane cost of living for the gorgeous California weather?
-Am I deluding myself into thinking that your terrific weather is really all it's cracked up to be? I know weather affects everyone's quality of life differently, but are there any transplants out there who can share their experiences?
-Should we be considering a city other than LA? I guess San Diego would be the only other option if we're being stringent about the weather. But everything else factors in too: crime, schools, traffic, economy.

I know this is a pretty wide-open topic and is dependent on personal preferences, but I guess I'm interested in hearing whatever anyone has to say. How many of you went to LA mainly for the weather? How many stay because of it? If you've been there for a while, do you take it for granted?

To me, the weather seems like one of the greatest things about the area, and I'm mainly concerned with being able to afford to live in a place that we would like. I know it's an enormous city and there are plenty of places to live and work, but I just don't know if most people find themselves having to compromise just to live there.
Simple answer. Your wife is correct. Having to live a lower quality of life for better weather is foolish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles