Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2008, 10:50 PM

1 posts, read 6,330 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to LA, just got a new job in Little Tokyo. I'm single, and considering renting an apartment in Glendale. Can anyone tell me what kind of commute times I can expect from various areas in Glendale? Also: I know Glendale has a low overall crime rate, but it's a big city. Are there any neighborhoods or parts of town I should avoid?

I picked Glendale because it seems to be the best combination of closeness to downtown, low crime, and low rent: I'm on a tight budget. I don't care about living close to the trendy nightlife, and I don't care about the race/ethnicity of my neighbors. If anyone can tell me about any other places I might look? I also considered South Pasadena and Downey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 10:53 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
South Pas and Glendale would be good options for you and very close to downtown. Downey isnt horrible, but it is much closer to less safe neighborhoods than the others.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:44 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,236,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by planetjman View Post
I'm moving to LA, just got a new job in Little Tokyo. I'm single, and considering renting an apartment in Glendale. Can anyone tell me what kind of commute times I can expect from various areas in Glendale? Also: I know Glendale has a low overall crime rate, but it's a big city. Are there any neighborhoods or parts of town I should avoid?

I picked Glendale because it seems to be the best combination of closeness to downtown, low crime, and low rent: I'm on a tight budget. I don't care about living close to the trendy nightlife, and I don't care about the race/ethnicity of my neighbors. If anyone can tell me about any other places I might look? I also considered South Pasadena and Downey.
So Pas is great, but did you consider Little Tokyo? I don't know how much you can spend, but I do know there is nice 'complex' at 2nd and Central (very nice corner, right next to the Starbucks, Quiznos, restaurants, brewery, et al). There are other apts to the east of Alameda. Also the Artisan at Union Station, which is about 2-3 blocks north of there. New train station being built just a couple blocks away.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:45 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,115,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
South Pas and Glendale would be good options for you and very close to downtown. Downey isnt horrible, but it is much closer to less safe neighborhoods than the others.
I second.

Also, you do NOT want to live downtown. Downtown one of the few exceptions to the "live as close to work as possible" rule of thumb.

Old 06-01-2008, 02:41 PM

571 posts, read 1,932,458 times
Glendale is safe all over. The police here are amazing. Very very safe in Glendale.

But generally the further north you go the better. And I would guess the further east you go the better. But I live on the southwestern edge which I guess would be considered the least nice part - just kinda ugly and some warehouses - I feel extremely safe here and I love it.

As far as the commute - we are SOO close to Downtown.. unless there is a Dodgers game going on or it's rush hour - you can get there in 5-10 mins
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles