Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2020, 03:41 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,664,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
The difference is scale/proportion. In 1992 there were about 10,000 National Guard troops called in plus another 2,000 active duty military troops called in.

This time the overall NG troops called in has been 1,500.

Gates, the tough talking cop, lost control of his city in a major way. In addition, he was also a major contributor to South Central's distrust of the LAPD. Not making excuses for any lapse in judgement/policy this time...as there is room to be critical.

But let's face the reality that the driving event in 2020 occurred in Minneapolis. Not like the arrest of Rodney King which was a "local" incident that was the proximate cause of the 92 riots.
Okay, let's back up. Do you remember what happened at Florence & Normandy that night, I believe it was a Tuesday. So then, what would you have done differently from that incident onward?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2020, 04:25 PM

1,156 posts, read 987,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Thanks Ruth.

Exactly scrawny little white punks who get paid to turn peaceful protests into riots.

In their little warped minds they're brianwashed into thinking they're anarchists leading a revolution. well they are arsonists .Maybe they're confusing the two words. No, a real anarchist doesn't get paid.

It is a fact that paid agitators were for in Ferguson, MO and they were ones who were starting the fires. And they were for the most part white. There used to be a clip on You Tube showing two of paid agitators who where white and young who went into a small mom and pop type grocery store and started fires in there. An older black woman finds anything she can including milk to put it out and manages to put out the fires You see she was a resident of Ferguson, the two pricks were just hired to do a hit and run. Create chaos and do as much damage to Ferguson. I guess a couple of people on here seem to think that is OK.

This has happened so many times, why is so hard for some to get that?

Astral Weeks I am going to take the chance of you overrating again, I asked you awhile back a simple question on one of the threads regarding all the job losses, I said if memory serves me correctly you're an LA native and you're in your 30s, well I was wrong on the age, you're were born in 1969, but you were and LA native. Now I could be wrong I think also said your black.

Well if you are in fact black, are over 50 our an LA native, I would be pretty damn p**sed off and for good for many reasons, first being this incident with Mr. Brown and all for the others, and for excessive use of force by the police especially towards the black community.Bu what you shouldn't be is so dismissive and making snide comments regarding a very serious matter. That ends up making the black community intentionally made to look bad. on purpose.

See, that kind of crap which ends up interfering with what should have been a peaceful protest into a riot well I wouldn't be so flippant to not even take the few minutes and research it.
\
Another good article that this was all likely planned and funded somehow. Who knows who, who’s on first and what’s on second. Who’s on third again? I don’t know.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/jus...tests-n1220486

Old 06-01-2020, 04:35 PM

51 posts, read 31,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The rioting isn't about a Black man's murder. The peaceful protests were about that. The rioting isn't about anything; it's rioting for rioting's sake, or, as some are saying, rioting to make the peaceful protesters look bad.
Look, the looting happens all the time. Examples just off the top my head: Newark in 1969, LA 1992, Ferguson 2015, nyc (fake Tawana Brawley) 1987 and on and on.

Old 06-01-2020, 04:42 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,396,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Okay, let's back up. Do you remember what happened at Florence & Normandy that night, I believe it was a Tuesday. So then, what would you have done differently from that incident onward?
Have no idea where you are going with this. You are changing the subject.

Suffice it to say, these young people are a lot less violent than we (Gen X'ers) or the boomers were. Let's be grateful for that.

The era of Chief Gates is dead and gone. So is the era of Mayor Dailey (Sr) of Chicago who had his police force club the long-haired boomers like baby seals in 1968 at the Democratic National Convention in Chicago.

Now I would like for someone to show these protesters (and looters) footage from 1968 so they could see how much police tactics have changed. That might give them a bit more perspective.

Finally, a civics lesson is also in order for some of the peaceful protesters. Based on watching interviews of SOME protesters, they don't seem to understand that rights to free assembly aren't limitless.

Last edited by Astral_Weeks; 06-01-2020 at 04:56 PM..

Old 06-01-2020, 05:00 PM

51 posts, read 31,690 times
Civics lesson? Well, yes, that would help but my suspicion is that a bit more needs to be studied. For example, we might want to let the local DA determine what charges if any should be brought. Also, it’d be nice if we didn’t try to lynch the officer at his home and decry the police protecting the former officer. Remember we don’t like vigilante justice...While on that topic, would it be possible to teach some folks that the accused has rights, that not all the evidence has been seen. I know it’s crazy to ask for such things. One reads about Floyd having been on fentanyl, having spit or threatened to spi in cops’ faces. None of these things may be true or perhaps all are. A recent video also shows struggles with the cop before being manhandled as he was. It does not mean the cop acted appropriately but it calls the murder highly into question...meanwhile Floyd’s brother demanded murder charges and convictions for all cops.

We know how this will turn out when the verdicts come in.

Old 06-01-2020, 05:12 PM

295 posts, read 143,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaminoDelAvion View Post
Look, the looting happens all the time. Examples just off the top my head: Newark in 1969, LA 1992, Ferguson 2015, nyc (fake Tawana Brawley) 1987 and on and on.
so you are saying when there are protest looting is ok? NO looting is criminal and they cause business to close and jobs lost and needs to be stopped.

just like the broken window when you turn your back more broken windows. looting leads to more looting and as far as i am concerned you should have the right to protect the business you built with lethal action.

there is no excuse for it - PERIOD NONE and those of you who look the other way or make excuses should see what if feels like to lose everything because some dikheads think its ok to steal. Screw that shoot the bastards right then and there.

Old 06-01-2020, 05:38 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,279,413 times
Quote:

Suffice it to say, these young people are a lot less violent than we (Gen X'ers) or the boomers were. Let's be grateful for that.

The era of Chief Gates is dead and gone. So is the era of Mayor Dailey (Sr) of Chicago who had his police force club the long-haired boomers like baby seals in 1968 at the Democratic National Convention in Chicago.

Now I would like for someone to show these protesters (and looters) footage from 1968 so they could see how much police tactics have changed. That might give them a bit more perspective.

Finally, a civics lesson is also in order for some of the peaceful protesters. Based on watching interviews of SOME protesters, they don't seem to understand that rights to free assembly aren't limitless.
I had to rep you just for the baby seals remark. That was great.

Old 06-01-2020, 05:43 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,664,868 times
Quote:

Where I'm going is that i'm just wondering what you think Gates should have done differently with the tools available at the time. From what I remember, the L.A. riots grew at a remarkably fast rate. It was first just a burning trash can at Florence & Normandy, and within a few hours it was like half the city was on fire. I was living in Palos Verdes at the time, and I watched the fires from the top of Crenshaw. There were so many fires that I could not count them all.

Old 06-01-2020, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaminoDelAvion View Post
Civics lesson? Well, yes, that would help but my suspicion is that a bit more needs to be studied. For example, we might want to let the local DA determine what charges if any should be brought. Also, it’d be nice if we didn’t try to lynch the officer at his home and decry the police protecting the former officer. Remember we don’t like vigilante justice...While on that topic, would it be possible to teach some folks that the accused has rights, that not all the evidence has been seen. I know it’s crazy to ask for such things. One reads about Floyd having been on fentanyl, having spit or threatened to spi in cops’ faces. None of these things may be true or perhaps all are. A recent video also shows struggles with the cop before being manhandled as he was. It does not mean the cop acted appropriately but it calls the murder highly into question...meanwhile Floyd’s brother demanded murder charges and convictions for all cops.

We know how this will turn out when the verdicts come in.

LuvSouthOC: I was referring mainly to the peaceful protesters regarding a civics lesson and I believe many of them would be influenced/open to such a lesson. Criminals/looters/thiefs need a different kind of civics lesson (a personal tour of a police booking station to start).

So nice of you to be concerned with the accused when they wear a blue uniform. I only hope you are consistent when the shoe is on the other foot.

Old 06-01-2020, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Where I'm going is that i'm just wondering what you think Gates should have done differently with the tools available at the time. From what I remember, the L.A. riots grew at a remarkably fast rate. It was first just a burning trash can at Florence & Normandy, and within a few hours it was like half the city was on fire. I was living in Palos Verdes at the time, and I watched the fires from the top of Crenshaw. There were so many fires that I could not count them all.
Not the thread to Monday Morning quarterback the totality of the '92 riots. But your last sentences reinforce how completely and fast things got out of control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles