Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2020, 08:58 PM

13,585 posts, read 15,689,177 times

Advertisements

This is fascinating. I had no idea the whole place was built from a master plan. I wish it still looked like it did back when mom took me shopping and they had the outdoor piano man. Those were the days. And does Gelson's still have those delicious gingerbread man cookies? Man, those were good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDd5IuyoHJQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2020, 08:30 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,308,682 times
I was sad to see the ABC Entertainment Center go away. I loved the Schubert Theater and Harry's American Bar & Grill.

Old 07-06-2020, 11:42 AM

3,433 posts, read 3,764,933 times
I worked at Joseph Magnin while in college. Learned all about panty hose!

Gordon Lightfoot came into the store one day. I didn't recognize him and I asked the saleslady (older) how she recognized him. She said "His picture was on the T-shirt he was wearing...".

Old 07-06-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
I was sad to see the ABC Entertainment Center go away. I loved the Schubert Theater and Harry's American Bar & Grill.
Me too. I saw a number of films at the theater, the last one being Phantom Menace. Little did I know they'd demolish the whole thing around five years later.

Old 07-06-2020, 06:42 PM

306 posts, read 243,269 times
It looks good from afar skyline wise but its so bland and un-walkable at the ground level.

Old 07-07-2020, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro1000 View Post
It looks good from afar skyline wise but its so bland and un-walkable at the ground level.
How so? There's even that bridge across Ave of the Stars.

Old 07-07-2020, 12:26 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,260,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
More of an office park. No park or green space. No benches for people to sit. Every single residential area is behind some fortress type gate. By far the oldest average age of any neighborhood in Los Angeles. Hideous parking garage buildings. I could never live there.

Old 07-07-2020, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
More of an office park. No park or green space. No benches for people to sit. Every single residential area is behind some fortress type gate. By far the oldest average age of any neighborhood in Los Angeles. Hideous parking garage buildings. I could never live there.
Are you referring to the way it is now, or the way it was decades ago?

Old 07-07-2020, 05:37 AM

4,627 posts, read 3,402,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Many urban design critics would argue the bridge is actually anti-pedestrian friendly in the sense that in tries to remove/separate the pedestrian from the fabric of the city.

Just to add further to PWright's comments. The knock on Century City is that it looks like Irvine plopped down in the middle of Los Angeles. When Century City was being designed/planned in the early/mid 60's its "modernistic" style was in vogue.

Rather than a traditional pedestrian-friendly "urban street grid" like you see in say downtown LA or downtown Santa Monica, you have large "super blocks" more associated with suburban office parks.

Century City is replete with broad boulevards, single-use buildings, blank walls, abundant curb cuts and immense parking garages. It just isn't as easy/pleasant to navigate as a pedestrian than more traditional urban centers with shorter blocks and more mixed-uses.

That said, for the past 5 or so years there have been efforts to address many of the above concerns to make the district more pedestrian friendly. See link to PDF for a summary.

http://joshrstephens.net/wp-content/...ntury-City.pdf

Old 07-07-2020, 06:00 AM

4,627 posts, read 3,402,909 times
In 2008, the LA Weekly did a review of Tom Petty's music and life and how it related to his adopted hometown of Los Angeles.

The song “Century City” was written by Petty during his legal battle with the record company. As such he had to spent many days meeting with lawyers in Century City.

He had few kind things to say about the place. “It's kind of an acre of skyscrapers, a really modern-looking place. It's full of lawyers. And they take you up to big glass conference rooms — I dreaded going there.”

Tom Petty's Los Angeles - LA Weekly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles