Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2020, 02:19 PM

6,383 posts, read 5,006,598 times

Advertisements

I'm a contract worker who's just been assigned a project in downtown Long Beach. I make in the low $60s and I don't think getting rid of my car is going to be an option, and I'd rather not have roommates if I can avoid it. So this limits my options.

Assuming we have a widely distributed vaccine before the project ends and I have to move down there, how bad would the following commutes be during rush hour in non-COVID times? (These are suburbs where some of the only units under $1200 are located, idk how fast these listings tend to disappear)

- Wilmington, LA to downtown Long Beach
- Central Hawaiian Gardens to downtown Long Beach
- Central Norwalk to downtown Long Beach

Also, a couple more questions:
- I've heard people in the Bay Area find units at below market rates by "knowing a guy" or "knowing who to ask". Is there any feasible way to do this for someone just moving to the area?
- Where in the general south LA County area would be the best for meeting hipster types, especially of the more intellectual/political-activist variety than the type of people who are just into music? (though the latter is fine too)

Thanks all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2020, 11:13 AM

2,518 posts, read 1,300,113 times
Will you have a parking spot in Downtown? Parking can be costly there.

Will you consider living near the subway?

Old 09-18-2020, 03:18 PM

6,383 posts, read 5,006,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenze View Post
Will you have a parking spot in Downtown? Parking can be costly there.

Will you consider living near the subway?
I'd be fine with taking the subway to the office --- looks like the Blue Line goes there. Are there any neighborhoods that have some of the demographics I describe, are relatively affordable (by LA area standards), and are like a 45-minute train ride or less from DT Long Beach?

Old 09-18-2020, 04:43 PM

2,518 posts, read 1,300,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I'd be fine with taking the subway to the office --- looks like the Blue Line goes there. Are there any neighborhoods that have some of the demographics I describe, are relatively affordable (by LA area standards), and are like a 45-minute train ride or less from DT Long Beach?
You must understand that affordable areas near Long Beach are full of poorer people.

There are $1,000 studios in Long Beach https://hotpads.com/studio-320-sqft-...-118.1607&z=16
"Contacted 72 times in the past week" - it's crazy.

You should be able to find something for $1,250-1,300 https://hotpads.com/3734-cerritos-av...ce=0-1300&z=14

If you need clubs with hipster people, drive there when you're in the mood. You should be able to find them in Downtown Long Beach.

It's more important to find a quiet place in an area without criminals.
If you go along the Blue Line, the coastal area is pretty good, Compton is full of gangs, then it's getting better closer to Downtown LA.

Last edited by vincenze; 09-18-2020 at 05:39 PM..

Old 09-18-2020, 07:18 PM

1,969 posts, read 544,551 times
Quote:
I'm a contract worker who's just been assigned a project in downtown Long Beach. I make in the low $60s and I don't think getting rid of my car is going to be an option, and I'd rather not have roommates if I can avoid it. So this limits my options.

Assuming we have a widely distributed vaccine before the project ends and I have to move down there, how bad would the following commutes be during rush hour in non-COVID times? (These are suburbs where some of the only units under $1200 are located, idk how fast these listings tend to disappear)

- I've heard people in the Bay Area find units at below market rates by "knowing a guy" or "knowing who to ask". Is there any feasible way to do this for someone just moving to the area?
- Where in the general south LA County area would be the best for meeting hipster types, especially of the more intellectual/political-activist variety than the type of people who are just into music? (though the latter is fine too)

Thanks all.
Those areas you can travel to on roads as they are all close to each other. maybe a quick freeway ride to wilmington. Long beach has all kinds of neighborhoods. You can find something by the beach in DT LB, my friend lived there and I wasnt afraid to visit
course near the beach in upscale hoods not so cheap.

Sounds like a good deal! enjoy your stay!

ps grab that mex food in longbeach! yum

Old 09-18-2020, 09:34 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,754,691 times
Quote:

Thanks all.
I would avoid Wilmington and North Long Beach. I think Hawaiian Gardens isn't that great either, but maybe others can chime in on that. I'd try Norwalk, Downey, Lakewood, Cypress and areas around Cal State Long Beach. Long ago, my friend owned a cheap condo on PCH and 7th street. Maybe rents are reasonable in that area. I know prices for housing has risen in those areas for small bungalows, but maybe rents aren't quite so bad.

Freeway traffic is tough down there during rush hour. Streets flow OK, but it is rather crowded. Best to find a place close to work.

Old 09-19-2020, 01:58 PM

536 posts, read 481,586 times
Well, Hawaiian Gardens had a stigma 25 years ago, haven't heard the name in a long time.

I'm also moving to Long Beach and will be working near Ocean Blvd and Queens. (Is that convenient to the Metro?)

There are $2k/mo studios at 442 W Ocean Ave, and 1brs are even more than that, which is very close to the work location. Is that a good area or just an expensive area?

With the comparative cost of rent vs buying, it makes me think about buying, because the mortgage + prop taxes is cheaper than the rent, but without knowing how long I'll actually be there, it seems a bit risky, since prices could crater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles