Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2008, 09:10 PM

421 posts, read 3,223,478 times

Advertisements

I just found a house online that looks very cute and the address says Valley Glen,91401. But when I look it up in Google maps it comes up as Van Nuys??

Is Valley Glen just a neighborhood in Van Nuys or is it its own city? What do you guys think of it?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 10:47 PM

485 posts, read 1,703,558 times
When I drive through Valley Glen, it looks just like Van Nuys to me. It is RIGHT next to Van Nuys, or seems to be right in it. There is also Valley Village which seems to be a little nicer than Van Nuys. Sorry if I wasn't much help, but all three of those places seem about the same to me- older, some rundown buildings, a gritty feel. I think Valley Glen might be bordered by North Hollywood, too.

Old 05-02-2008, 02:21 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,114,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panks View Post
Is Valley Glen just a neighborhood in Van Nuys or is it its own city?
It's just an area pretending it's not Van Nuys. I grew up in Van Nuys more years ago that I care to admit, and back then it was just Van Nuys. Only in the last dozen years or so have various areas wanted to distinctify themselves as being somehow different, thus Valley Glen, Valley Village, etc. The fact is that most of the San Fernando Valley is one big housing tract with little distinction between different areas until you compare areas many miles apart. The Valley is not organized by "cities" as much as by "near Ventura Blvd." or "near the hills" or "west valley" or "east valley." It's more like one big place, not a bunch of separate little places.

To be exacting, all of the San Fernando Valley is part of Los Angeles City proper except for incorporated cities within: e.g. San Fernando, Glendale, Burbank.

Hey, it's Van Nuys. It's a nice place but not a luxury place. Some parts are nicer, some not as nice, but most of Van Nuys is pretty livable and you can find many modest, reasonably priced houses and apartment buildings. I can't think of somebody having their life's desire being to live in Van Nuys, but if you need to live in Los Angeles it's not a bad place to live.

Head a short distance south to Studio City or Sherman Oaks for a bit more affluent area if you like. If you go south of Ventura Blvd. the housing is very expensive, and in the Hollywood Hills costs are stratospheric.

Old 05-02-2008, 02:31 PM

705 posts, read 3,297,408 times
Valley Glen is right next to Van Nuys and like someone already mentioned it used to be all Van Nuys. Same with Arleta and Pacoima. Valley Glen isn't a bad area in my opinion, as long as you stay south of Vanowen or Victory.

Old 05-03-2008, 06:55 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,154,073 times
Quote:
I can't think of somebody having their life's desire being to live in Van Nuys, but if you need to live in Los Angeles it's not a bad place to live.
Ha! Are you one of those people that have trouble saying bad things?

Van nuys is pretty nasty and it seems to get worse and worse over the years. There are other areas of the valley that are just a few miles way that are a lot nicer (or at least safer)

Old 05-03-2008, 08:06 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,114,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
Ha! Are you one of those people that have trouble saying bad things?

Van nuys is pretty nasty and it seems to get worse and worse over the years. There are other areas of the valley that are just a few miles way that are a lot nicer (or at least safer)
No, I'm not that negative about saying bad things but Markablue already kicked my axx for saying a bad so I'm trying to make kissy-face to everybody.

Honestly I'm trying to be fair. There are nice areas of Van Nuys, there are bad areas, there are bad parts of every "city" in the SFV. I growed up near Oxnard and Woodman, and that's still not a bad area.

You can find bad areas in any part of Los Angeles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles