Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2020, 08:45 AM

5,349 posts, read 5,123,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
All cities across America are looking their worst right now with Covid. All the closed and boarded up businesses across the city are havens for homeless encampments.
100% right there ^.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Is it touched up and the mountains moved closer in some pictures to make it look sexy? I hear that's what some pictures of Denver do, to make it seem the mountains are downtown.

I visited for L.A. for only two days in 1988 so don't remember much.
What they'll do for those shots is use a very zoomed shot taken from a long ways away where they grab a couple of sky scrapers against a zoomed in mountain. Downtown Denver is a little further away from the mountains than LA is. The mountains are definitely noticeable in LA, but it's a big city, so some places are right next to them and others are a long ways away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2020, 01:10 PM

8,546 posts, read 10,967,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Contrary to the premise of this thread, I'd say that LA's "older" houses (1900-1940) look to be in better condition, than comparable residences in most other American cities, especially those in more severe climates. And comparing my current experiences in LA, with those of ~25 years ago, I find the infrastructure to be better developed - not worse.

What does however remain odd, is that despite the high cost of land, so much of the construction - both residential and commercial - is single-story. This makes sense in the Midwest, or the South, where land is cheap and sprawl is cost-effective. But in LA? I would have thought, that with the gentrification etc., vast swathes of single-story retail or residences, would have gotten bulldozed and replaced by 3 or 4 or 5 story buildings, shoulder-to-shoulder, as is more common say in a European city. Why has this not happened?
Just referring to your second paragraph.

I live in the northeast section of the city, in a small hamlet named Hermon.
It is relatively small, surrounded by South Pasadena on the north, Monterey Hills on the east, Highland Park on the west, and Montecito heights on the south.

We are an older community of mostly single family homes, but lately new city zoning is allowing for multi dwellings to be built here.
One in particular is the biggest eyesore one could ever imagine.
This monstrosity was built without one word of input from the community.
It just does not fit in with the community architecture.
The picture of the house is what was on the same spot before this disgraceful intrusion came into our little village.
The last picture is of the house, and the person that built and designed it.

High rise, and multi dwellings have their place, but certainly not is a small area that has roughly 300 single family homes.
Attached Thumbnails
LA is arguably the dumpiest looking big city in the US-blue-monster.jpg   LA is arguably the dumpiest looking big city in the US-monterey-60.jpg   LA is arguably the dumpiest looking big city in the US-35297679_10156183891926233_5365546310378192896_n.jpg  

Last edited by CALGUY; 12-27-2020 at 01:48 PM..

Old 12-27-2020, 01:18 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,746,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I believe he's speaking of the architecture of the two universities, and the new construction on the UC Riverside campus.
I don't think so. He's comparing the city of Riverside to Irvine. In other threads he has extolled the virtues of new tracts in the areas of east Riverside...

Old 12-27-2020, 01:58 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,780,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post

It is relatively small, surrounded by South Pasadena on the north, Monterey Hills on the east, Highland Park on the west, and Montecito heights on the south.

We are an older community of mostly single family homes, but lately new city zoning is allowing for multi dwellings to be built here.
The picture of the house is what was on the same spot before this disgraceful intrusion came into our little village.

High rise, and multi dwellings have their place, but certainly not is a small area that has roughly 300 single family homes.
That first picture is of real junk. What idiots granted a permit for it?

Old 12-27-2020, 02:09 PM

158 posts, read 159,381 times
Oh man that looks ghetto!

Quote:

Old 12-27-2020, 02:14 PM

I’ve seen the same thing in NY AND MIAMI, what’s your point?
Get list in Liberty City you might get shot!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_210 View Post
The is not my video, but you'll get the idea. Walk around DTLA and you'll see this, including the nice areas with the new apartments and bars. I know people that have been attacked in the subway. These people walk right into traffic. They walk into Starbucks and steal the online orders sitting there. They'll lunge at you and follow you.

Old 12-27-2020, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer46 View Post
That first picture is of real junk. What idiots granted a permit for it?
The city planning department, and zoning ok'd the project.
We in the community had not been allowed any input regarding this project.
I am pissed at our neighborhood council for doing nothing to stop it.

Old 12-27-2020, 03:55 PM

Quote:
The city planning department, and zoning ok'd the project.
We in the community had not been allowed any input regarding this project.
I am pissed at our neighborhood council for doing nothing to stop it.
All owners around the area could take this to court.

Old 12-27-2020, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grune D View Post
All owners around the area could take this to court.
Un fortunately there is this "By Right" clause in the city charter that allows development without community input.
If the project meets zoning laws, and planning department rules, the project does not require community involvement.
I fought with city hall for over a year about this by right policy, and nothing can be done to change it.
Matter of fact, I believe by right is a state wide policy presently.
So, if any one sees new construction going on in their area, if you have objections, that is tough tittie.
You have no say in the matter.

Old 12-27-2020, 06:01 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,782,723 times
Quote:
Un fortunately there is this "By Right" clause in the city charter that allows development without community input.
Didn't you have a thread about this property? It looks as if it's there to stay, though.

https://www.theeastsiderla.com/neigh...a8648e89b.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles