Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2021, 07:35 PM

190 posts, read 471,441 times

Advertisements

As the title states, $1M budget, where would you choose to buy in LA and why? This is with 2021 pricing, so I know it won’t get you what it used to, but curious to know people’s thoughts.

Thanks,
Tops
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2021, 10:31 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,945,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tops1234 View Post
As the title states, $1M budget, where would you choose to buy in LA and why? This is with 2021 pricing, so I know it won’t get you what it used to, but curious to know people’s thoughts.

Thanks,
Tops
Cypress, CA for 1,800 sq. ft. average. If strictly in Los Angeles county, then Torrance, CA.

Old 08-11-2021, 11:05 PM

190 posts, read 214,286 times
OP: depends on...

Do you work (from home) and is there anywhere you have to routinely visit? It all starts here.

Do you have kids? Can be very important.

What features are you looking for in a home or neighborhood? Yard, pool, beach, restaurants... etc

What are you optimizing for? Quality or profit?

Old 08-12-2021, 05:54 AM

1,866 posts, read 933,848 times
Location is the most important factor for me.
I'd forgo square footage in order to live in a nicer area.

Maybe a small condo in Brentwood or Westwood would fit the bill for that price range, or possibly in Atwater/Glendale.

Old 08-12-2021, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR2015 View Post
OP: depends on...

Do you work (from home) and is there anywhere you have to routinely visit? It all starts here.

Do you have kids? Can be very important.

What features are you looking for in a home or neighborhood? Yard, pool, beach, restaurants... etc

What are you optimizing for? Quality or profit?
-Would prefer a home, not a condo

-Travel to LAX a couple times a month and Pasadena daily

-no kids

-I’d like a neighborhood with things to do, so I don’t have to travel too far to go to grocery, restaurants, gyms, etc. some yard would be nice, doesn’t need to be huge

-safety, something good quality and if possible, something that will appreciate in the long run

Old 08-12-2021, 01:54 PM

823 posts, read 1,055,985 times
Try Pasadena, Eagle Rock, Glendale, Burbank, Studio City. You want to keep your daily commute as short as possible. Eagle Rock and Studio City in particular are a good blend of interesting neighborhoods, lots of things to do/places to eat, comparatively safe, not too far to travel to work, relative value for money.

If you are looking for capital gain, focus more on lot size and location than the dwelling itself. You don't want to live in a hovel, obviously, but unless it's a brand new/near new build, most of the value is in the land, not the structure, especially now that the state has loosened restrictions on building ADUs. Properties with a lot size over 5000sqf will have more long term potential for future development through ADUs or rebuilds, and are therefore likely to have greater appreciation and at a faster rate.

Old 08-13-2021, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudwalker View Post
Try Pasadena, Eagle Rock, Glendale, Burbank, Studio City. You want to keep your daily commute as short as possible. Eagle Rock and Studio City in particular are a good blend of interesting neighborhoods, lots of things to do/places to eat, comparatively safe, not too far to travel to work, relative value for money.

If you are looking for capital gain, focus more on lot size and location than the dwelling itself. You don't want to live in a hovel, obviously, but unless it's a brand new/near new build, most of the value is in the land, not the structure, especially now that the state has loosened restrictions on building ADUs. Properties with a lot size over 5000sqf will have more long term potential for future development through ADUs or rebuilds, and are therefore likely to have greater appreciation and at a faster rate.
Solid advice, what about places like Highland Park, Glassell Park, Mt Washington, and those surrounding communities?

Anywhere else, a bit further away? If the pandemic situation continues/worsens, my commute to Pasadena won't be as important

Old 08-13-2021, 02:13 PM

823 posts, read 1,055,985 times
Highland Park is good, but it has already had a lot of appreciation in the last few years so you may find your money does not go as far. Mt Washington is great and some places have incredible views, but just be sure you understand any building restrictions around hillside structures, it can be more onerous than you might think. Don't know too much about Glassell Park, but same general area so probably similar factors.

One thing to think about around that area is air quality, many freeways, and there's a lot of industrial traffic using the 5, so better to have some distance from that if you can.

If you wanted to look further west, but still have an ok commute, try some of the mid city areas like Country Club Park, parts of Harvard Heights, West Adams. There are still some incredible properties in those areas if you are willing to spend a little time and do some research. Some large lot sizes, some large houses built in the twenties, fairly close to the 10, not quite as dense or gritty as Koreatown (although you still have to pay attention and be thoughtful of your surroundings), it's mostly residential, mostly working families. I'd be careful of Jefferson Park, next to West Adams. Some great properties there, but sadly still seems to be quite a bit of gun violence. The other areas I mentioned are generally reasonably safe, or at least as safe as most of the rest of the city.

Closer to the coast, I'd look at Del Rey, Ladera Heights, Westchester, View Park-Windsor Hills, northwest part of Inglewood. You'll need to be more patient, but there are definitely places under $1mil to be found. You'd still be close to the 405 and very close to the airport, and you'd have the moderating effect of the ocean keeping temperatures comfortable. Plus proximity to Silicon Beach and new stadium means properties will likely hold their value.

Old 08-14-2021, 06:16 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,597,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tops1234 View Post
-Would prefer a home, not a condo

-Travel to LAX a couple times a month and Pasadena daily

-no kids

-I’d like a neighborhood with things to do, so I don’t have to travel too far to go to grocery, restaurants, gyms, etc. some yard would be nice, doesn’t need to be huge

-safety, something good quality and if possible, something that will appreciate in the long run
Given this - my recommendation would be Pasadena, without hesitation. Budget is a tad light, but not far off. LAX commute is manageable (I did the same from Pas 2-3 times a week, and dont forget about BUR). If you need to be in Pasadena daily, seems to make the most sense, especially with no kids (although we find it very family friendly).

Old 08-14-2021, 11:55 AM

29,514 posts, read 22,647,873 times
Downtown Los Angeles, Monterey Park, El Segundo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles