Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2021, 02:51 PM

108 posts, read 110,938 times

Advertisements

The flu often puts people in bed for a week. When I was 6 years old, it was rough for a week. Since that time, never had the flu that was anywhere near that bad. Never taken a flu shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2021, 03:23 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,887,429 times
Vaccinated, fairly healthy people in years when the flu shot matches decently with the flu strain don't get hit by the flu like that.

Old 10-07-2021, 05:51 PM

108 posts, read 110,938 times
I had several people I knew who used to get flu shots. They told me they stopped getting them. I asked them why. Was told, "Every year I get a flu shot, I always come down with a really bad case of the flu."

Taking 1,000 mg of vitamin C per day is a much easier and better way to prevent the flu or any virus.

Old 10-07-2021, 07:43 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,365,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaughanWilliams33 View Post
I had several people I knew who used to get flu shots. They told me they stopped getting them. I asked them why. Was told, "Every year I get a flu shot, I always come down with a really bad case of the flu."

Taking 1,000 mg of vitamin C per day is a much easier and better way to prevent the flu or any virus.
… Or not:

Can Vitamin C Prevent or Treat Cold Symptoms? Vitamin C has been studied for many years as a possible treatment for colds, or as a way to help prevent colds. But findings have been inconsistent. Overall, experts have found little to no benefit from vitamin C for preventing or treating the common cold.

Vitamin C for Colds: Benefits, Side Effects, Uses - WebMD

I don’t know if it does or doesn’t. And neither do you

Old 10-08-2021, 12:53 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,887,429 times
Meanwhile, the Sheriff of Los Angeles just made his firing more likely. Like I said, there's a rules-don't-apply-to-us mentality in Los Angeles law enforcement.
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...035257409.html

Old 10-08-2021, 02:31 AM

3,247 posts, read 6,304,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Meanwhile, the Sheriff of Los Angeles just made his firing more likely. Like I said, there's a rules-don't-apply-to-us mentality in Los Angeles law enforcement.
Sounds like a great sheriff. He cannot be fired since it is an elected office. Hope he wins again in 2022!

Old 10-08-2021, 08:16 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,318,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
You are subconsciously making that case. I dont think you mean to, but it is the logical conclusion to the case youre making.

Ive said before life is about risks. Everything you do is a risk. Driving to the store is a risk, going for a run is a risk, and so are things like staring down an oncoming train and eating raw chicken. But the first two dont pose significant risks and the later two do. Everyone has to decide for themselves where Covid fits for them in the realm of risks.

And I will continue to double down on the importance of statistic here. The CDC, NIH, WHO, etc. make their decisions based largely on medical studies which are statistically based. When someone says "I dont care about the stats" what they are unquestionably saying is "my feelings are more important than facts". If thats the way you want to live, thats fine. I just dont want any laws or restrictions made by that line of thinking. Not just with Covid but any area of life. After all, it was the "my feelings are more important than facts" line of thinking that gave us President Orange Scumbag.

Im not black and white, but I am a fatalist and I do own that. I dont have hard yes or no feelings towards masks or the vaccine. I wish more people would get vaccinated, but I know very well that there is going to be a not insignificant group of people that never will. I dont agree with them, but they have to do their thing just as we have to do ours. As far as masks go, I think they are situational.
My position is that if they refuse to vaccinate they should suffer consequences for not doing so. They shouldn't be allowed to go everywhere and do everything that those of us who have vaxed can do.

Yes, everything in life is a risk, but some risks are worse than others. The risk of dying of covid is far greater if you don't get vaccinated. The risk that you will take up space in an emergency room that is needed by a heart patient or an accident victim is much greater if you don't vaccinate. No one has yet put on a convincing case that there are serious safety issues with the vaccines. What I have seen is distortion of numbers and a series of sad failed attempts.

People can get vaccinated or lead a lesser life. Those are the choices.

Old 10-08-2021, 08:22 AM

8,353 posts, read 5,510,571 times
Quote:
Vaccinated, fairly healthy people in years when the flu shot matches decently with the flu strain don't get hit by the flu like that.
Its literally the exact same scenario. Just like with Covid and the Covid vaccine, the flu vaccine greatly reduces your chances of having a severe bout of the flu but it does still happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
My position is that if they refuse to vaccinate they should suffer consequences for not doing so. They shouldn't be allowed to go everywhere and do everything that those of us who have vaxed can do.

People can get vaccinated or lead a lesser life. Those are the choices.
I dont necessarily disagree with you. I do not care if people who refuse the vaccine are forced to sit at home. But those are objectively not the actual choices. The actual choices are: get vaccinated and more doors are open to you or dont get vaccinated and slightly fewer doors are open to you.

Old 10-08-2021, 08:23 AM

8,353 posts, read 5,510,571 times
Quote:
You cant fire a county sheriff. That is an elected post.

Old 10-08-2021, 10:49 AM

2,378 posts, read 1,316,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
They work to slow transmission rates, and save lives.
The problem is, in the long run; they only drag this out even further.
And this one:
https://apnews.com/article/coronavir...7b00f7f551e41e

City council is on crack, in the land of fruits and nuts.
As a vaccinated individual, I boycott any business or entity forcing me to make a health decision.
There is zero evidence that masks slow transmission rates and save lives. None.

But there is evidence that masks have zero impact on the slowing of covid transmission.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/scottm...rence-n2597079
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles