Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2006, 11:21 PM

531 posts, read 2,073,808 times

Advertisements

Does anyone commute 1-2hr to work? How does this affect your life? Is it worth it or would you rather rent closer to the city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2006, 10:20 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,757,854 times
I don't live in the LA area but am thinking of relocating there. My current commute here on the east coast is over an hour 1 way easily. Bad days it's around 2 hrs one way. My personal feeling is that owning vs. renting makes the drive worthwhile. Home-ownership is the best investment us middle class folks can make. Now that said, it is a major impact on my life. I think it's taken a huge toll on my mental health and now after almost 6 years of doing it I just can't imagine it anymore. Still, our investment in a home has vastly improved our financial footing and those long hours lost in the car were probably worthwhile.

Old 12-28-2006, 08:46 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,507,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montevista1 View Post
Does anyone commute 1-2hr to work? How does this affect your life? Is it worth it or would you rather rent closer to the city?
I wouldnt do it. 1/2 hour is my max that I would put up with. too much lost time wasted driving back and forth.

Old 12-29-2006, 10:06 PM

38,864 posts, read 22,849,388 times
My last job was in Irvine (about 27 miles one way). On average in the morning, it took me about an hour and 15 minutes to drive on the 405 south to get to work. Going home, I usually took the 5 north to the 91 west, and that drive was usually about an hour on average, including the usual slowdowns in the usual places. The driving took a toll on my mental health after a short while, so six months later, I quit that job and found one MUCH closer, in Los Alamitos. Now my drive to work is only 15 minutes, and I feel like I have my life back!

Old 12-30-2006, 04:18 PM

676 posts, read 3,075,313 times
Quote:
I drove about 1.25 hours to work every day and would hit pockets of traffic. If there was a storm or an accident it would take 2 hours. I did it for three years before I snapped. I honestly don't think I would still be married to my husband if I continued with that drive. I was a raging B word when I would get home. I had to have an immediate glass of wine to just chill out. My neck and upper back was always tense too. Plus my car was a stick shift! So, to make a long story short, I would probably be an alcoholic divorcee if I continued with that commute.

Old 12-30-2006, 07:10 PM

989 posts, read 5,923,606 times
I had to do an daily afternoon commute[left at 6pm] from Westwood to Marina Del Rey(7 miles). It was living hell. It turned me into a mad-man.

Westwood to Marina should take 10 minutes max., yet it took 1 hour 20 minutes! Westwood is a nightmare. Too many tall buildings, too many people, and not enough roads.

I gave up on the 405 freeway(a mess!) and usually took Wilshire all the way to Ocean Ave(SM). Ocean to Pacific (in Venice). Then Abbot Kinney to Lincoln(Marina). All roads jammed. Still it took me over an hour.

Old 12-30-2006, 07:25 PM

625 posts, read 2,435,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newportbeachsmostwanted View Post
I had to do an daily afternoon commute[left at 6pm] from Westwood to Marina Del Rey(7 miles). It was living hell. It turned me into a mad-man.

Westwood to Marina should take 10 minutes max., yet it took 1 hour 20 minutes! Westwood is a nightmare. Too many tall buildings, too many people, and not enough roads.

I gave up on the 405 freeway(a mess!) and usually took Wilshire all the way to Ocean Ave(SM). Ocean to Pacific (in Venice). Then Abbot Kinney to Lincoln(Marina). All roads jammed. Still it took me over an hour.
I guess I won't tell you that I live 35 miles one-way from work and on a "bad" day it takes me 40 minutes. 45 coming home, but that's only if there's a bad backup on the Spaulding Turnpike bridge.

Old 01-04-2007, 12:09 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,075,147 times
Default Rent closer, or use alternative transpo

Quote:
Does anyone commute 1-2hr to work? How does this affect your life?
In the late 80s I commuted 75 miles one-way by car from Ventura to Vernon. It lasted eight months before the sometimes three-hour ride home broke me. One Friday afternoon I fell asleep IN TRAFFIC at a red light in Malibu. I would never commute like that again no matter what. I've since commuted around an hour or more one-way by commuter bus and rail, which I find far more tolerable and relaxing -- even enjoyable as I got to be friends with the other regulars. It's also much less costly than driving.

Last edited by Winston Smith; 01-04-2007 at 12:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles