Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 07:56 AM

352 posts, read 482,653 times

Advertisements

I remembered something about
Tujunga, CA... I did a google search for
" tujunga asthma " and this was
something that came up .

Sunland-Tujunga Community Profile

I have friends that live there, it's really beautiful !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 10:07 AM

134 posts, read 562,220 times
The Antelope Valley has the only clean air in the county.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:14 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdawgx View Post
The Antelope Valley has the only clean air in the county.
the air in the AV may be lacking the pollution that we have down in the valleys and basin, but it certainly isn't clear of particulate matter from all of the wind up there.

Old 05-30-2008, 01:00 PM

11 posts, read 63,594 times
yeah, i heard that the wind in palmdale can get dusty from desert wind. however, wouldn't it be larger sized particles than what we get in LA from exhaust fumes? my area in hollywood is just covered with black grime (literally, all the leaves outside, and even the windows inside my apartment) and those are small sized particles...

Old 05-30-2008, 05:41 PM

7 posts, read 23,654 times
My asthma came from pollen. First I got hay fever then it went into asthma. Cure?

A swim in the ocean stopped asthma, cured poison oak, hay fever and whatever itched.

This wasn't in L.A. But 200 miles up the coast in Avila Beach. The worst case of asthma I ever had was from camping out as a youth just south of Morro Bay State Park. I thought I was going to die before I got home to San Luis Obispo...riding in the back of a pickup truck with five other fellow Boy Scouts. And the air up here is relatively clean.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:11 AM

1 posts, read 2,270 times
I know this is a very old thread - but to the OP, I am curious about where you may have settled.

I too am in Whitley Heights (right by the freeway) and boy am I paying the price! I've always had hay fever/allergies, but it was maybe 2-3 times a year, one month tops. Since moving to Whitley Heights (by Hollywood Bowl), I have been WOKEN UP by my allergies. Needing to blow my nose -oh about half a big tissue box worth. It's been eight months now, I've seen the allergist and taken all the tests. Best she can figure, it's both the flora of Hollywood Hills, and the freeway pollution. For the first time in my life (adult female in my 40s), I am wheezing! It's awful. I now have an inhaler, have taken Allegra every day for 8 months (which have caused other issues - heartburn type feeling and lots of belching), and from 10 pm to about 6 am am a mess.

I am going to move next year, no two ways about it. This is no way to live! Even my cat has developed respiratory problems! I've had her for seven years and even she wheezes sometimes, and sneezes a lot. It breaks my heart. For myself, I have lived in LA for 13 years, all over - West Hollywood, Silverlake, Larchmont. Never have I had such bad allergies, such bad symptoms, for so long.

So - for anyone reading this - current advice about better air quality places to live (in/around LA) would be greatly appreciated! Will def. move in 2014.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:38 AM

223 posts, read 523,516 times
I was told by a Realtor that Montrose and certain parts of Glendale were one of the best places to live based on air quality. He cited me on some study done but I don't remember, something about the way the wind comes through the mountains. He said that's why he lived in Glendale. We were about to put an offer on a place in Pasadena at the time so I don't think he was trying to persuade us as that was opposite of the sale.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:20 AM

513 posts, read 913,164 times
Agreed, the Westside because of the constant Pacific influence. I've lived in the Palisades and SaMo and the air is always clean and fresh with a constant breeze blowing in from the sea. Smoggy days are only during Santa Ana events, which are the exception rather than the rule.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:11 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,201,724 times
The beach towns are the cleanest for air, but so expensive. You may wanna try the Valley, it looks less smoggy than the rest of LA, or at least Woodland Hills does.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:02 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,562,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
what are you so scared of? 10 million people live all over LA county in the good and not so good parts. Last time I checked, people weren't falling over dead from polluted air.

Anyways, if you think its bad in Hollywood, you should see how bad it out in the IE, eek!

Also, living near the coast is very expensive, its not really affordable anywhere. The cheapest beach town I can think of is Long Beach, but you have to deal with pollution from the ports down there, so its really not any better than the inland areas.
Yep! Long Beach not only has the port pollution, but PV blocks some of those nice ocean breezes so when you're more than 3-5 blocks off the water it doesn't feel much cooler than being up in Norwalk/Whittier/inland basin areas. I definitely notice a difference when I spend the night in Venice area and hang out on a patio at sunset and this cold strong breeze comes sailing through. Long Beach doesn't get it like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles