Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 10:33 AM

11 posts, read 63,600 times

Advertisements

i'm pretty sure this is an oxymoron question but is there a place in LA county that provides cleaner air than most other areas? i am living in hollywood at the moment, right at the beginning of whitley heights. i have a hillside on my back and a taller apartment is blocking my apartment on the front. as you can imagine, the spot gets a very little air flow and a ton of dust settles right on the area. im wondering if theres an area where it gets fresh clean air breezed in somehow... am i hoping too much? thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 10:39 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,446,365 times
Probably the west side since the breeze usually comes off the ocean.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:43 AM

but i heard that at night the breeze goes out so you dont miss out on any smog that was happening during the day. kinda double edged location, the beaches... thats what i heard.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:49 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,193,073 times
I live 4 or 5 blocks from the beach and I can attest that the there is almost always a breeze near the coast blowing inland (regardless of the time of day). The only time we get winds heading out to the ocean are during the santa anas, which usually blow hard enough to clear the entire basin.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:51 AM

is it really clean air blowing for sure, though? if beach areas are the way to go, where is the most affordable? i have to stay within LA county...

Old 05-28-2008, 11:13 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,193,073 times
what are you so scared of? 10 million people live all over LA county in the good and not so good parts. Last time I checked, people weren't falling over dead from polluted air.

Anyways, if you think its bad in Hollywood, you should see how bad it out in the IE, eek!

Also, living near the coast is very expensive, its not really affordable anywhere. The cheapest beach town I can think of is Long Beach, but you have to deal with pollution from the ports down there, so its really not any better than the inland areas.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:40 AM

well, im not falling dead but i do have asthma that developed only last year. it's only bad when im excursioning, which is how i noticed it in first place, while jogging on the streets which i was doing regularly. so now i stay home all day with my air filters and even have a portable hepa in the car. id like to go where theres cleaner air so i can go back to doing outdoor activities that i love and sell this treadmill behind my couch. my dog needs to go out more, too.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:47 AM

916 posts, read 3,699,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
what are you so scared of? 10 million people live all over LA county in the good and not so good parts. Last time I checked, people weren't falling over dead from polluted air.

Anyways, if you think its bad in Hollywood, you should see how bad it out in the IE, eek!

Also, living near the coast is very expensive, its not really affordable anywhere. The cheapest beach town I can think of is Long Beach, but you have to deal with pollution from the ports down there, so its really not any better than the inland areas.
If you live in Belmont Shore, Naples, Peninsula, pollution from the port really isn't an issue. Those areas are great and while cheaper than some beach areas in SoCal you will still be looking at $1M for a starter home.

Old 05-29-2008, 03:30 PM

81 posts, read 327,091 times
Tujunga, La Crescenta, west la and south bay beach areas. i attached a map which clearly illustrates la area pollution and can't attach it again...here is a link to that thread.

//www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...les-air-4.html

Old 05-29-2008, 11:47 PM

what about palmdale and lancaster? even farther away from the city but still within the LA county? it just has to be any place in the county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles