Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2023, 06:03 PM

1,882 posts, read 3,110,484 times

Advertisements

What urban parts of L.A. county do you feel safest in? Of course much of the county is urban, but I wish to exclude remote portions (which do exist in county!). Palos Verdes and Malibu could be considered, but more remote places should be excluded. While crime statistics are of some value here, I don’t think they tell the whole story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2023, 09:39 AM

23,528 posts, read 24,011,889 times
We haven’t lived in Southern California for many years and things may have changed.

We always felt pretty safe in these areas: La Canada-Flintridge, La Crescenta-Montrose, Manhattan Beach, San Marino, South Pasadena, Westlake Village, Calabasas, Agoura Hills and Glendora.

I’m sure there are other safe areas in LA County that others know, but these come to mind right now. Your mileage may vary.

Old 01-19-2023, 10:48 AM

1,249 posts, read 1,053,592 times
I consider the San Fernando Valley to be "urban" at this point. It's also almost entirely within the city limits of Los Angeles and developed. In any other state, it would be a major city in it's own right.

If you've ever been to New York City, the San Fernando Valley feels almost like parts of Brooklyn and Queens...more like a borough than a true suburb.

That being said, I feel safe in the "urban" valley communities of Sherman Oaks, Valley Village, Studio City, Tarzana, Encino, Woodland Hills, Northridge, Chatsworth, West Hills, Lake Balboa, most of Reseda.

Burbank is it's city, but it still feels very safe and "urban" to me.

Old 01-19-2023, 12:43 PM

I suppose I’m really just excluding the most remote areas on the outer edges of the county. I would think Palos Verdes and Malibu in the Santa Monica Mts would be high on the list, but perhaps others prefer other areas. I do think that more petty and/or victimless crime is more easily overlooked. Robberies, murders, home invasions etc are the worst.

Old 01-19-2023, 01:22 PM

6,793 posts, read 4,236,377 times
The richest areas tend to be the safest. My instinct would also be that any area that's in a well-off independent city with its own police force rather than relying on LAPD/LASD coverage would probably be safer.

Old 01-19-2023, 03:38 PM

2,507 posts, read 1,296,149 times
If you want to drive into a place and never leave it, they find a guarded and gated community.

If you want to play with your child in a park, then find an area with tall buildings full of walking people.

Old 01-19-2023, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
The richest areas tend to be the safest. My instinct would also be that any area that's in a well-off independent city with its own police force rather than relying on LAPD/LASD coverage would probably be safer.
This for sure. If you’re a bit of a nerd about it like I am, you learn which areas which everyone assumes are LA that are actually their own city. The places that are actually separate cities are almost always nicer than the neighboring area within LA city limits.

Old 01-19-2023, 04:12 PM

2,507 posts, read 1,296,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyway31 View Post
The places that are actually separate cities are almost always nicer than the neighboring area within LA city limits.
It's more likely that a criminal will drive to a rich area, show you a gun, and take your wallet and Rolex.

Old 01-19-2023, 04:57 PM

4,562 posts, read 5,416,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyway31 View Post
What urban parts of L.A. county do you feel safest in?
Its probably easier to say which areas I feel the least safe in than areas where I feel the safest. Why? Because I feel safe in pretty much most areas I my go (for whatever reason) in LA. I am very good at being aware of my surroundings and am a pretty good judge of people's "energy" or intention wherever I go. Plus I am trained and am absolutely confident my self defense skills.

With all that being said, I'd say I'd feel just as safe going into Koreatown (where there is high crime) as I am going into the financial center in Downtown LA, Santa Monica Promenade or even heading to Tommy's on Florence in South Gate. Of course, I'd be more aware in South Gate, but I'd still feel pretty okay there.

I would feel the less safest in areas in what used to be known as South Central LA. Sure there are no gangs really anymore to worry about, just random crimes that are prevalent in the area.

Old 01-19-2023, 05:11 PM

1,866 posts, read 933,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
The richest areas tend to be the safest.
This is basically true in every major world city.

The safest parts of LA county would include:

Glendale
Malibu
Pacific Palisades
Brentwood
Bel Air
Trousdale Estates

Most of Beverly Hills
(except for the downtown shopping area near Rodeo Dr., which has had uptick in robberies, thefts, and loads of narcissistic idiots who won't stop making tik tok videos over there).

Rancho Palos verdes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles