Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2023, 06:49 PM

8 posts, read 4,131 times

Advertisements

I have been living in an extremely noisy apartment building with 2 other roommates for 17 months. I absolutely hate living here and want to move. It has been extremely difficult to find a place. I will need to find roommates as this is LA and rents are exorbitant. My lease is month to month and need to give 30 days notice.
I was curious whether there are temporary (furnished or non furnished) affordable places I could move to until I find a more permanent place to live? Airbnb seems like it would be too expensive as I don’t know how long it will take to find a place. My budget for rent is $1300 a month.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2023, 08:02 PM

3,106 posts, read 2,014,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masala40 View Post
I have been living in an extremely noisy apartment building with 2 other roommates for 17 months. I absolutely hate living here and want to move. It has been extremely difficult to find a place. I will need to find roommates as this is LA and rents are exorbitant. My lease is month to month and need to give 30 days notice.
I was curious whether there are temporary (furnished or non furnished) affordable places I could move to until I find a more permanent place to live? Airbnb seems like it would be too expensive as I don’t know how long it will take to find a place. My budget for rent is $1300 a month.

Thanks
You're going to have to look long & hard to find a $1,300 rent in a somewhat safe area. Extended-stay hotels have gone way up & you're looking at over $100/nt or $3K+/mo.

$1,300/mo is $43/nt. No hotels, even Motel 6's, are that low.

Your best bet is to find a local landlord with 1 apt/room to rent, rather than an apt complex. I'd be careful but Craigslist still offers rentals & a local landlord might use it to advertise a room, studio or MIL apt for free, but there are a lot of kooks online, in general.

There is a site where you can find a roommate:

https://www.roommates.com/

Here's a site for short-term rentals, but most STR's have higher rents. To that end, you may have to remain where you are until you find another roommate or if you're able, to find something in your price range that's way out of the city, if you've got transportation. The gas prices might make it undoable.

Good luck!

https://www.apartmentlist.com/renter...e%20apartments

There's also this site...

https://www.couchsurfing.com/

I've never used it, but have known others who were more free-spirited who did... some good stories, a couple of creepy ones. You'd have to put your things in storage or keep them in your car & just stay a night or 2 here & there.

Old 03-04-2023, 11:42 PM

2,531 posts, read 1,309,250 times
Sorry, you can try to buy a jar of foam ear plugs. They really work to suppress noise.

Many rentals in LA have extremely noisy air conditioning units that are placed in windows. If electricity is included in rent, run from such a place immediately.

Most motels have even noisier air conditioners that are used for heating too. A quiet place costs much more.

Last edited by vincenze; 03-04-2023 at 11:54 PM..

Old 03-05-2023, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
You're going to have to look long & hard to find a $1,300 rent in a somewhat safe area. Extended-stay hotels have gone way up & you're looking at over $100/nt or $3K+/mo.

$1,300/mo is $43/nt. No hotels, even Motel 6's, are that low.

Your best bet is to find a local landlord with 1 apt/room to rent, rather than an apt complex. I'd be careful but Craigslist still offers rentals & a local landlord might use it to advertise a room, studio or MIL apt for free, but there are a lot of kooks online, in general.

There is a site where you can find a roommate:

https://www.roommates.com/

Here's a site for short-term rentals, but most STR's have higher rents. To that end, you may have to remain where you are until you find another roommate or if you're able, to find something in your price range that's way out of the city, if you've got transportation. The gas prices might make it undoable.

Good luck!

https://www.apartmentlist.com/renter...e%20apartments

There's also this site...

https://www.couchsurfing.com/

I've never used it, but have known others who were more free-spirited who did... some good stories, a couple of creepy ones. You'd have to put your things in storage or keep them in your car & just stay a night or 2 here & there.

Thank you for your response and helpful advice and links!

Old 03-05-2023, 06:13 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,613,719 times
This is probably a tough pill to swallow, but the $1300 rent budget is what needs addressing. Its not enough to comfortably live in LA

That said, if you can find one roommate that you can tolerate, you might be able to find a 2 bed at $2600 (key word is "might", 2800-3k is more realistic).

Old 03-05-2023, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
This is probably a tough pill to swallow, but the $1300 rent budget is what needs addressing. Its not enough to comfortably live in LA

That said, if you can find one roommate that you can tolerate, you might be able to find a 2 bed at $2600 (key word is "might", 2800-3k is more realistic).

Unfortunately I think you are right. Especially if I want to live alone. I think multiple roommates is the only option to live in LA proper or 1 roommate if I can tolerate moving farther away.

Old 03-05-2023, 09:42 PM

3,106 posts, read 2,014,252 times
Quote:
Unfortunately I think you are right. Especially if I want to live alone. I think multiple roommates is the only option to live in LA proper or 1 roommate if I can tolerate moving farther away.
Be careful on spreading yourself too thin financially. If you get 1 roommate & they suddenly leave or stop paying rent, you're stuck paying 100%. If you have multiple roommates & 1 suddenly leaves, you'll just pay a portion of their portion of rent.

I'm assuming you're a student & need to be in L.A. right now, so $1,300 is the top of your budget? You don't need the added stress of suddenly having to come up with another grand or more... where will it come from?

BTW, I have a friend who lived in a dicey part of L.A. for $2K/mo for years in a studio. She just rented a cabin/bungalow near the canyons for $1,200/mo. It's small but nice & she's far enough away from crime but still can get into L.A. without much bother. Her biggest worry is the bear who keeps coming around the trash cans at night.

Look around. There are places but you've got to search for them. I don't know the name of the town she's in or I'd tell you... she's got a problem with someone bothering her, so she's keeping it on the DL for now.

Good luck! Keep at it. Something will turn up soon.

Old 03-06-2023, 10:42 AM

2,531 posts, read 1,309,250 times
Currently, there are 300 <$1,300 studios on hotpads.
There will be more closer to the end of the month.

https://hotpads.com/los-angeles-ca/a...ce=0-1300&z=12

Old 03-06-2023, 11:53 AM

4,567 posts, read 5,431,548 times
Quote:
Looking For Temporary Living Arrangements Before Finding Something More Permanent.

My budget for rent is $1300 a month.

Thanks
Where in LA are you currently living? Do you work from home or is there a commute? Dont want to recommend any places that outside of any reasonable commuting distances for you.

Old 03-06-2023, 01:26 PM

612 posts, read 354,294 times
Another option is to rent a room and share the common areas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles