Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 07:58 PM

4 posts, read 8,503 times

Advertisements

I use 2 stay on 52nd in central on the east side of south central l.a
in to tell you the truth every day it was a problem there gang bangers hanging out shoot outs in drive bys you cant never wear any colors because gangs now that i live in the bronx its still bad but not nearly as bad is east side south central thats like one of the worst place ever in u.s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 09:55 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,585,042 times
I worked at a middle school in Watts back in 2001. I took the train to work every day for about two years and got off at 103rd Street and walked through the neighborhood to work. I was never shot, beaten, robbed, harassed, or even bothered. This school is right across the street from the Hacienda Village Projects. I walked past them many days. Still, never a problem. I am not saying there are no problems there. But I never had any.

I also made sure to greet EVERY person that passed me with respect and look them in the eye. As I said, no problems. I have worked in Compton, also. No problems.

To me, the "hood" parts of L.A. are not as bad as some people think they are. Just the same, some of the "good" parts of L.A. are not as good as people think they are.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:10 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,611,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post
I worked at a middle school in Watts back in 2001. I took the train to work every day for about two years and got off at 103rd Street and walked through the neighborhood to work. I was never shot, beaten, robbed, harassed, or even bothered. This school is right across the street from the Hacienda Village Projects. I walked past them many days. Still, never a problem. I am not saying there are no problems there. But I never had any.

I also made sure to greet EVERY person that passed me with respect and look them in the eye. As I said, no problems. I have worked in Compton, also. No problems.

To me, the "hood" parts of L.A. are not as bad as some people think they are. Just the same, some of the "good" parts of L.A. are not as good as people think they are.
Your experience is the same as mind. I worked for the probation department & counseled middle & high school gang members. We kept a close eye on these young criminals by going to their homes at least once a week to meet with the minor & parents. They have to call in to the police at 10PM & better be home or face going to juvenile hall. Almost every case was a very angry kid who had no father, lived in poverty & acted out in school. Jobs for both the parents & kid was our goal but that was several years ago. Lack of employment is definitely going to increase gang activity, I'm afraid.

Old 04-10-2009, 01:07 AM

7 posts, read 33,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj2007 View Post
So I read on here about how miserable LA is and how it's crime infested. How many of you have actually been robbed, shot at, or had your car stolen? I myself don't see immigrants as a problem so that's not a negative for me. State where you live in LA and if you've had problems there. I know of course that South Central LA will definitely have crime problems but let's get real how bad is the West side. I mean life isn't a movie people. This isn't Boyz n the Hood here. It's real life. You have to remember in a huge city crime will be a problem. No place is perfect and it seems that some people actually don't realize this. In an area with about 10 million people some stuff is going to happen. I think everyone knows that but come on!
I've seen some things like a guy getting shot in the head (he survived) and a lot of fights. I've been held up at gun point also.

All of that aside, LA is not that bad as long as you know where the bad parts are. It's not like gang members are posted on every block. Some of it is hype where people think that LA is just a war zone; there are bad areas and good areas like all counties.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:50 AM

75 posts, read 207,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post

I had a similar experience. I worked in Watts across from Nickerson Gardens. I never had a problem. I made a few visits to my student's houses, once at night, I had no problems. I occasionally shopped at the Food-4-Less on Wilmington for supplies I needed for projects and we would eat out at restaurants nearby on Staff Development days. It has it's problems definitely, but I don't think it's as bad as it is made out to be.

In all the years I worked there only staff member experienced violence...she was robbed at knife point while she was in front of the school on a smoke break. It was scary but those kinds of things happen everywhere, not just in places like Watts.

I agree with the respect thing. For the most part, if you show respect to others and mind your own business you should be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles