Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2023, 10:07 AM

21,945 posts, read 9,517,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yes, I've run into them in the Denver area. Really frustrating. But I've found, that by driving around a little, I can find some of the coin-operated ones just a couple of blocks away. I hope those don't get phased out entirely. Even with a phone, I have no idea what to do or how to pay, or how to download the app. And how does the app work: is it somehow connected to your bank account? WTH?!

I hate that sinking feeling I get, when I'm driving past the store I need, and only see those pay-by-app meters. I start feeling doomed, like--now I can't park and do my business, after driving nearly an hour from two suburbs away. But like I said, I've found that the coin-op ones may be just around a corner or a block away. For now, at least.
For the one I used, it's connected to your credit card but maybe you can use a debit card.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2023, 10:08 AM

21,945 posts, read 9,517,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I consider myself average with computers and phones and I just know I would have trouble with this.
I kind of didn't want to do it but it was easy. You just enter the meter number and pick how much time you want.

Old 11-29-2023, 10:45 AM

984 posts, read 2,713,494 times
A couple points..
For the apps.
You install the app on your phone. You add a payment method in the app.
Then when you need to use it. Open the app , type the code from the meter and specify how long. It is just a few clicks.

Now if you don't have a smart phone there is an option if you have a reliable friend/family member. They setup the app on their phone. You call them with the code for the meter and they hook you up from whereever they are. The phone with the app doesn't need to physically be there.

We will see more areas move to this. It is much cheaper to run these once you pay the higher cost for the high tech meter.
No one needs to be paid to empty all the meters daily and then process mountains of coins.
The older meters have also been comprimised at times with people making their own keys..

Old 11-29-2023, 10:59 AM

4,617 posts, read 3,007,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
We have pay by phone app here in Seattle, in fact my wife ran into that at a hospital garage here. Not so much on the street, but garages and surface lots. The main problem is for people that (15% believe it or not) still don't have a smart phone, or in some case, the bottom floor underground has no signal so you have to wait until at the gate to use it. Typically the bigger garages will still post someone at the gate booth in case of problems. It's probably more to avoid robberies than cutting staff here. Another problem they have had in Seattle is fake lot attendants. You were supposed to pay at a pay station, where you insert the cash into a slot matching the number of your space. Often a crook would dress up in official looking clothes, and take your money, then of course, not put it into the slot. The real attendant would come by, see all the cars parked there and no money at the pay station.
You've got some crafty criminals up there!

Old 11-29-2023, 12:02 PM

11,081 posts, read 6,898,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I consider myself average with computers and phones and I just know I would have trouble with this.
You never know. I have a lousy QR reader app on my phone; I keep forgetting to download a different one. It's so aggravating. Some other apps don't even work, i.e., Taco Bell and Arby's both of which I visit once a month or so while out doing errands. I understand from a worker the other day that Taco Bell fixed their app. I really hope they don't install a phone app for parking structures. I was in one yesterday and my credit card wouldn't fit in the slot. I can only imagine having to wait behind someone who is having trouble with their phone app.

Old 11-29-2023, 06:01 PM

1,873 posts, read 846,051 times
i like it because i can reserve a park place beffore i leave the house

Old 11-30-2023, 09:25 AM

12,391 posts, read 8,161,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b29510 View Post
i like it because i can reserve a park place beffore i leave the house
What cities allow someone to reserve a curbside parking space? I can see community parking lots doing that and that makes sense. But on the street someone else is likely to snatch a reserved spot as they only expect to take a minute, or all day.

Old 11-30-2023, 09:34 AM

11,081 posts, read 6,898,296 times
Or absorb the cost of a parking ticket if they either don't care, or are desperate for the space for whatever reason. It's a good idea though, in theory and probably works much of the time.

Old 12-04-2023, 06:25 AM

2,082 posts, read 1,130,085 times
Another good thing about the app is that you can be alerted when the parking period is over, and renew for another time limit without walking back to the meter.

Old 12-04-2023, 08:39 AM

4,566 posts, read 5,425,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
I was in Pasadena (near Central Park) and there were parking meters that required you pay through a phone app called Passport. My friend downloaded it used it. Was that the ONLY way to pay? It looked like it.

Are these types of meters in very many places?

I guess they're doing it to cut down on city employees carrying those bucks full of quarters. But what if you don't have a phone??
Im sure that isnt the ONLY way to pay. Too bad you didnt look further into this before you started a thread on it. I am sure they would still accept cards (Debit/Credit) and not go full on phone app.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles