Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 11:15 AM

979 posts, read 2,094,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAFan View Post
I mean, I know LA has some struggles, but there's are struggle in other major cities too. People stereotype this city as the "Gang Capital of America". I mean, gang violence can happen anywhere.

What's up with everybody hating on LA? Why do so people want to leave the greatest city on the West Coast?
Greatest city in the world???...that belongs to San Francisco
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 11:18 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,199,581 times
'who cares' is my answer to the OP's original question. I love living here and can afford to do so, so I have no plans on going anywhere else anytime soon.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:35 AM

428 posts, read 1,184,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAFan View Post
Yea, but that's for people who has kids or wants them. I'm not having any, so I'm staying in the LA area.
Hmmm, ok well I guess many people with kids "diss" L.A because it is can be harder to live there if you want a certain lifestyle. If you're not having kids, great you'll probably always love L.A but don't be so dissmissive of the majority who do have or will have kids. I have kids and will be moving to L.A but I have no illusions about living in a 3000 sq foot home for under 300k. I don't have that now and I don't need it but I realize that for some that is important.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:57 AM

5,408 posts, read 12,666,667 times
let that roll off your back...

seriously my young friend, why would you let some posts on line by anonymous people bother you? reading your other posts i think you need to take a break from CD (and catch a breath of LA) or just get thicker skin. i cant imagine what would happen if people actually said stuff like this to your face.

the fact that you let it bother you is a bit troublesome. it is nothing to fret over. who cares what they say. does that stop you from enjoying your existence here? does that stop you from living your life?

not me. people bad mouth LA all the time. even in person. they then learn where i lived or live and they talk even more trash. its getto. its dirty. its low class. its ruined by immigrants. etc etc. alot of what is said is not really tru anywyas. sure some of it might be, but there is too much exageration here. i take walks at night. jog along the river. ride the train. go on field trips with the kids (LAUSD). i love my life here.

i know what my quality of life here in LA is, i appreciate what LA has to offer and i take advantage of it. Knowing all of this makes me secure in the fact that LA is the best place for me (at this point).

I am confident in my happiness. no matter how much people bash LA and make false proclamations about it, i KNOW OTHERWISE.

they wont stop me or my kids from having a great existence here.

PS. MANY MANY people have kids here and are very happy. I know this dont apply to your current way of thinking, but im just saying that LA has a bit of everything for everyone.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:59 AM

18 posts, read 106,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
'who cares' is my answer to the OP's original question. I love living here and can afford to do so, so I have no plans on going anywhere else anytime soon.
Cosigned. Santa Monica is a great community! I lived in Culver City not to far from Santa Monica. That community probably represents only the top 15% of land area and wealth in the entire Los Angeles. The majority of LA is the South Central portion consisting of Compton, Watts, Inglewood, Crenshaw type of communities. These are definitely a different lifestyle than Santa Monica.

LA is a terrific place as long as you can afford the lifestyle you want. For me that means at minimum a 1,500sf 3bdrm 2bath house in a nice community where I don't have to worry about gangs, violence, drugs and that has decent schools for my kids. This type of lifestyle in LA is restricted to the "nicer communities" that require a minimum salary of $200k for entrance. Of course you could give up making contributions to your retirement, vacations, and nights out and earn less than $200k. Where's the fun in that just to live in a particular area?

Old 07-10-2008, 12:02 PM

105 posts, read 470,080 times
I'm from the Bay Area, where L.A. bashing is the norm. But i constantly rave about L.A. I love it there. I never understood why the average Angeleno allows for all this constant bashing. But on the flip side, i don't know why everyone else cares to bash it whether they had been there or not. Just because I don't like a city (i.e Sacramento, Baltimore, Wash D.C., San Antonio) doesn't make me want to bash them. But that's just me, I'm pro CALIFORNIA. I don't allow outsiders to bash any California city (SAC included). I don't too much mind the in-state bashing though just as long as we stand against everyone else. This comes from someone that lived on the East Coast for 3 years and had to hear the full magnitude bashing on ALL of California no matter what part you were from. To them we're full of gangbangers, gays, fruits and nuts, plastic silicone people, fake people etc etc etc.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:07 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,870,409 times
Yeah, job opportunities, somewhat high-paying jobs, the attractive women (only if they're my match), the video game industry, Hollywood, the beach, all that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
let that roll off your back...

seriously my young friend, why would you let some posts on line by anonymous people bother you? reading your other posts i think you need to take a break from CD (and catch a breath of LA) or just get thicker skin. i cant imagine what would happen if people actually said stuff like this to your face.

the fact that you let it bother you is a bit troublesome. it is nothing to fret over. who cares what they say. does that stop you from enjoying your existence here? does that stop you from living your life?

not me. people bad mouth LA all the time. even in person. they then learn where i lived or live and they talk even more trash. its getto. its dirty. its low class. its ruined by immigrants. etc etc. alot of what is said is not really tru anywyas. sure some of it might be, but there is too much exageration here. i take walks at night. jog along the river. ride the train. go on field trips with the kids (LAUSD). i love my life here.

i know what my quality of life here in LA is, i appreciate what LA has to offer and i take advantage of it. Knowing all of this makes me secure in the fact that LA is the best place for me (at this point).

I am confident in my happiness. no matter how much people bash LA and make false proclamations about it, i KNOW OTHERWISE.

they wont stop me or my kids from having a great existence here.

PS. MANY MANY people have kids here and are very happy. I know this dont apply to your current way of thinking, but im just saying that LA has a bit of everything for everyone.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:12 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,314,324 times
For me personally I had lived my entire life in CA and the last half of that I lived in the LA area. I remembered what LA "use" to be like. It has done a lot of changing. I haven't appreciated those changes but some do. I moved a year and a half ago. I won't move back. But that's me....I have many friends that will never move from the LA area and love it. Each to his/her own. Just because it might not be what I want or am looking for it may be exactly what somebody else wants.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:14 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,870,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
For me personally I had lived my entire life in CA and the last half of that I lived in the LA area. I remembered what LA "use" to be like. It has done a lot of changing. I haven't appreciated those changes but some do. I moved a year and a half ago. I won't move back. But that's me....I have many friends that will never move from the LA area and love it. Each to his/her own. Just because it might not be what I want or am looking for it may be exactly what somebody else wants.
Like I said before, this decade has to be the worst in my lifetime because there's a lot of changes going on.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:14 PM

162 posts, read 271,703 times
California is fabulous.

But Los Angeles in general is such an uneducated, rundown, classless, ghetto, cesspool IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles