Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2008, 10:27 AM

3,565 posts, read 4,863,814 times

Advertisements

Hello guys !

Currently I'm living in Hosuton, Tx but I want to move to West Hollywood in August.
I wanna see how its gonna work out and If I can make it there so I am not going to sign a 6 month lease. I just want to be able to go back to Houston if it does not work out for me.
Anyway, here is the problem. I am looking for an apartment that would do month to month or 2 month leases. So far I have only found 3 months minimum.
Maybe there is someone here who knows a little about it or who has lived there on a short term lease. I mean sometimes some would maybe do short term even though it says 6 months etc. but I'm not there yet so I thought I might be able to get some help here!

thank you all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 11:14 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,110,658 times
If you don't want to be held down, try a long term motel or a corporate living complex.

Last edited by CESpeed; 07-12-2008 at 11:15 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 07-12-2008, 01:59 PM

31 posts, read 133,655 times
I just went through this process myself last month. It's not fun. We were in a similar predicament because I was moving out here for school, but my fiance wasn't sure if he would be staying past the end of the summer, when he's due to start a job in DC. I spent a lot of time searching for month-to-month places, and we ended up signing a traditional lease instead. If you are set on staying short-term, you pretty much have three options:
1. An extended stay-hotel (like the Residence Inn, I think there is even one in Beverly Hills) or a corporate housing complex (I believe the Palazzo buildings will do arrangements like this.) This is by far the most convenient option because it will relieve you of any obligation beyond how long you'd like to stay. But beware, you will be paying a lot more money for that convenience than you would for a regular lease. A LOT more money. If you and your budget are okay with that, than this is the option for you.
2. Combing craigslist and WestSideRentals and all of those places for ads that advertise sublets, short-term or month-to-month leases. They are not easy to find and you won't be able to be that picky, but they are out there. Usually these places are guesthouses being rented out or buildings owned by smaller, family-run companies and they are more likely to be able to be flexible with your lease terms. This option takes a lot more time and effort and is not nearly as convenient or reliable, but it is (usually) cheaper.
3. Get an apartment with a regular lease. Break the lease and deal with the consequences and the costs therein. I'm not a fan of this option, as it never really works out too well, but if you do decide to go this route, do NOT tell the landlord up front that you are planning on leaving soon, and read the lease VERY carefully to make sure you are okay with the consequences of breaking the lease, which could include some very serious financial penalties.

I would seriously think about the 3- or 6-month lease. To be honest, if you want to find out if you can "make it" out here, it's going to take more than a few weeks or a couple months to really figure that out. Six months should give you enough time to decide if you want to stay, and in the worst-case scenario, doesn't leave you with a whole lot to pay out if you break the lease and have to pay the remainder of your rent. If you really think three months might be too long and you might want to get out that soon, I would suggest taking a "research" vacation first to see what you think before signing a lease. Good luck!

Old 07-13-2008, 03:04 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,863,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherette View Post
I just went through this process myself last month. It's not fun. We were in a similar predicament because I was moving out here for school, but my fiance wasn't sure if he would be staying past the end of the summer, when he's due to start a job in DC. I spent a lot of time searching for month-to-month places, and we ended up signing a traditional lease instead. If you are set on staying short-term, you pretty much have three options:
1. An extended stay-hotel (like the Residence Inn, I think there is even one in Beverly Hills) or a corporate housing complex (I believe the Palazzo buildings will do arrangements like this.) This is by far the most convenient option because it will relieve you of any obligation beyond how long you'd like to stay. But beware, you will be paying a lot more money for that convenience than you would for a regular lease. A LOT more money. If you and your budget are okay with that, than this is the option for you.
2. Combing craigslist and WestSideRentals and all of those places for ads that advertise sublets, short-term or month-to-month leases. They are not easy to find and you won't be able to be that picky, but they are out there. Usually these places are guesthouses being rented out or buildings owned by smaller, family-run companies and they are more likely to be able to be flexible with your lease terms. This option takes a lot more time and effort and is not nearly as convenient or reliable, but it is (usually) cheaper.
3. Get an apartment with a regular lease. Break the lease and deal with the consequences and the costs therein. I'm not a fan of this option, as it never really works out too well, but if you do decide to go this route, do NOT tell the landlord up front that you are planning on leaving soon, and read the lease VERY carefully to make sure you are okay with the consequences of breaking the lease, which could include some very serious financial penalties.

I would seriously think about the 3- or 6-month lease. To be honest, if you want to find out if you can "make it" out here, it's going to take more than a few weeks or a couple months to really figure that out. Six months should give you enough time to decide if you want to stay, and in the worst-case scenario, doesn't leave you with a whole lot to pay out if you break the lease and have to pay the remainder of your rent. If you really think three months might be too long and you might want to get out that soon, I would suggest taking a "research" vacation first to see what you think before signing a lease. Good luck!
Well, I don't know how they do it in California but I here in Texas you might have to pay the ENTIRE amount that is remaining! So if you 6 months and move out after 2 then you have to pay them 4 months! And if you pay 1500 a month then that is way to much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles