Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2008, 05:55 PM

3 posts, read 13,370 times

Advertisements

Hello! My husband and I with our 4 1/2 year old son will be moving to L.A. area around December 2008. Our son has high functioning autism so I am looking for some help with schools. What are the best school districts (special ed programs) for kids with autism as well as some private schools? We are thinking about Pasadena, Glendale, LosFeliz, BHPO areas. Please feel free to give your opinions on great areas to live and raise a family too. Thank you so much!

JCR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 08:50 PM

109 posts, read 446,631 times
I work for the Special-Ed department of the Long Beach Unified School District. From what I have seen, Long Beach does a pretty good job with Special Education. I know some people dislike LBUSD and it may not get the best test scores, but overall there are great teachers and if you are involved in your child's studies, they will get a great education.

I do have to say I work mainly with special-ed high school students at Poly High School, so I am no authority on elementary school. But if you look around in Long Beach I am sure you will find a school and teachers that fit your needs.

There are a lot of great areas in Long Beach also to raise a family. It is true there are some rough areas but most of Long Beach is pretty nice. Especially the north eastern parts and anything bordering the ocean.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:34 AM

186 posts, read 659,507 times
I've heard good things about Culver City. I have a friend with a child with autism in Torrance Unified. She has had a good experience. Her child is in a regular ed classroom and has made remarkable progress.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:57 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,336,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrunyon View Post
Hello! My husband and I with our 4 1/2 year old son will be moving to L.A. area around December 2008. Our son has high functioning autism so I am looking for some help with schools. What are the best school districts (special ed programs) for kids with autism as well as some private schools? We are thinking about Pasadena, Glendale, LosFeliz, BHPO areas. Please feel free to give your opinions on great areas to live and raise a family too. Thank you so much!

JCR
Glendale has "The College" near Glendale College that is a dedicated Special Ed school. My nephew is Autistic but not terribly bad. They stuck him in a regular special ed class and he did fine. They said they'd send him to The College if necessary. There are also 2 amazing campuses for children like yours, one is in Santa Monica and the other is in Sherman Oaks. I don't recall the name but I can get it. My Autistic cousin just graduated from the one in Santa Monica, valadictorian. I understand my aunt had to petition to get him into this school and that it's just about the best in the country. I'm not sure they fulfill the needs of young children but I do know he's gone there most of his school career.

My nephew was in Pasadena prior and I was disappointed how they handled him. They stuck him in a crappy school but he was lucky to get a very good teacher and she made amazing breakthroughs with him.

Old 07-17-2008, 06:46 PM

3 posts, read 13,370 times
Thank you so much for your input, I really appreciate it! Sorcerer 68, I would really LOVE to get the name of that school that has campuses in Santa Monica and Sherman Oaks! Thanks

Old 07-18-2008, 02:23 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,336,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrunyon View Post
Thank you so much for your input, I really appreciate it! Sorcerer 68, I would really LOVE to get the name of that school that has campuses in Santa Monica and Sherman Oaks! Thanks
I'll ask my aunt.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:57 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,636,513 times
check out thehelpgroup.

Old 12-20-2008, 09:17 PM

1 posts, read 5,609 times
Default special needs services

There are a number of good schools in the LA area. You might want to check with the HELP group. Their schools are generally good. The best school for autism was Julia Ann Singer in West LA, but it has been taken over by Vista Del Mar's school, and you definitely want to avoid that. For info on Asperger's frieindly schools, try contacting the LA Asperger's Parents Support Group online. Hope this helps!

Old 12-20-2008, 09:19 PM

32 posts, read 115,584 times
GL finding a great school. My son has mild autism as well. We live in Riverside county and we finally found a terrific teacher after 7 years of so-so ones. He is 11 now and doing great.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:21 AM

1 posts, read 3,904 times
if you are in san Diego and your child is going to preschool, encanto elementary has been great to our family. i love their staff. You can see the passion they all have for the Seec students! Especially miss Julie. Don't let the neighborhood scare you. Miss Julie picked that school herself because she attended that school when she was a kid. i can't say enough about her. she has gone above and beyond with my son. My son attends encanto elementary in the mornings and goes to a mainstream cdc at my work. she went as far as using one of our meeting days to give the cdc suggestions on how to work with my son and help include him in the activities. she even made them a Pec keychain chart to help communicate with him. love, love, love her and the staff there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles