Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2008, 02:35 PM

137 posts, read 602,842 times

Advertisements

For the past two years, I traveled the Red Line from Hollywood to Downtown for work. I recently moved East and was taking the Gold Line to the Red Line.

Reason why I just leased a car and will probably start driving again to work:

1. I have to get to the Sierra Madre Villa station extremely early in order to ensure a parking spot. People roll into my office from 9-10am, but I have to roll in at 8:15 because if I get to the station too late; I can't find a spot.
2. All the trains are getting really full - Not just no seats available full, but no standing room on the train, take the next one full (Isn't this the summer and workers should be on vacation with their kids?). I've lived in NYC and SF and am no stranger to packed cars, but I've had to miss several trains adding 15-20 minutes to my commute.
3. Less people driving = less traffic

Is anyone else finding the same situation like me? I remember they use to market the train with posters of people doing things while commuting (e.g. playing soduku and an old woman knitting -- good luck doing that while standing in a packed train)

I've heard talk about adding more trains to the Metrolink and rumors of more trains on the MTA, but can they even do that given the capacity of a two rail system (one track going in each direction)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 03:01 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,666,667 times
well for a bit i did notice more commuters on the blue line, but its not really been a problem.
the blue line trains run pretty close tho. i've made it 7th st metro station from the red line and a couple of times i have opted to stay on the platform waiting for the next train.
usually the next one was already there, arriving, or a few minutes away. of course this depends on ridership, and i assume that the more long term riders on the gold line, the more cars and trains will be added.
the blue line hasnt really seen that big of an increase. the numbers are right were they were right before the MTA raised its fares. the gold line on the other hand has apparently. give it some time.

as for the parking situation. well that just sucks. is the bus an option? a bike? i take the bus to the train. or sometimes drive. but parking can be a hassle.

good luck.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:34 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,116,949 times
I'm really sorry that you've had that experience. Welcome back to the land of the drivers. Maybe you can find someone you can carpool with to help cut costs and pollution.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:50 AM

137 posts, read 602,842 times
It's funny that you mention that CESpeed, I asked around my office and found someone that will be (somewhat) along my way to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: