Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 06:55 PM

10 posts, read 32,355 times

Advertisements

How does it work?

Do I have to tip ten percent even for a coffee in a Diner like Nicholas Cage or should I just promise half my lottery ticket money?

No, seriously what's the rule.

We don't tip in the U.K. 10% is added to the bill before you get it. This saves embarrassment for the customer and the server.

In fact if you try to tip in the U.K. most people will refuse it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 07:04 PM

2,071 posts, read 12,031,572 times
There is no rule you have to tip.

Old 07-23-2007, 07:31 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,700,185 times
Where I live in the Midwest, the normal tip is 15% of the total bill for average service and more than that for excellent service. If the service is deplorable you can leave little or no tip.

What you must understand is that wait staff in th US are not even paid minimum wage. Their hourly rate is laughable. The bulk of their earnings comes from their tips, so should you decide not to tip that wait person will suffer financially.

I wish we had a flat 10% added to the bill, like you do in the UK, because it would save me a lot of money, but we don't so tipping is necessary.

Old 07-23-2007, 07:49 PM

4,549 posts, read 12,440,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alienred View Post
How does it work?

Do I have to tip ten percent even for a coffee in a Diner like Nicholas Cage or should I just promise half my lottery ticket money?

We don't tip in the U.K. 10% is added to the bill before you get it. This saves embarrassment for the customer and the server.

To give you some practical rules, if you go to a counter to either order or pick up your food, generally you don't tip. This would apply to most coffee shops, sandwich places, any place where you, the customer, have to move your butt out of your chair to get what you need.

For regular sit-down restaurants the general rule is 15%, though I've seen and heard stories of people tipping substantially less when they felt the service was subpar.

As for servers making less than the minimum wage, I'm not so sure about that. I know that in the past that was true, but recent revisions (past 20 years) to the minimum wage law may have changed that. And even if it hasn't, servers at any mid-to-higher priced restaurant are making substantial amounts of money above minimum wage with the inclusion of tips. This rule on minimum wage for servers may vary on a state by state basis.

And if you REALLY wanted to rake in the money, when they used to have curbside luggage check-in at airports, some Skycaps were making 100k a year at major airports because of the tips.

Last edited by kettlepot; 07-23-2007 at 08:53 PM.. Reason: added: with the inclusion of tips

Old 07-23-2007, 08:13 PM

332 posts, read 2,152,889 times
If a tip is required, it will say so on the bottom of the menu. Most places charge at least 15% gratuity for parties of 6 or more. If you don't voluntarily tip at least 15% for up-to-par service, no matter how much you eat or how many people are with you, you're an *******. If you insist on not leaving a tip, or leaving less than 10%, make sure it's the last thing you do before you walk out the door and never set foot in that restaurant again.

Old 07-23-2007, 10:10 PM

225 posts, read 1,091,981 times
Quote:
How does it work?

Really? This sounds like France, not the UK. In fact I'm struck by how the UK has gone over to American-style tipping. When it is added to the bill (which is isn't, usually) 12.5% is now standard, especially in London.

The big difference between the UK and the US is that Americans tip in bars. A dollar a drink is pretty standard. If you get through a bit or you're a regular the barman will send the occasional free drink your way, so it evens out, more or less.

Old 07-23-2007, 10:55 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,653,576 times
Quote:
How does it work?

i didn't find that to be the case when i visited england in 2000. although i knew that the gratuity was included, i was embarrassed to leave only 10% (which is what i normally leave a server who is inexcusably inattentive, but not rude), and i would always add enough to bring it in line with how much i would tip for comparable service at home. no one ever refused it, although on occasion servers did ask if i was aware that it had been included already. most, however, accepted my american-style tipping without remark.

Old 07-23-2007, 11:55 PM

72,472 posts, read 18,228,647 times
For example:
Sub Total $14.28
Tax $ 1.18 You add 1.18 + 1.18 = $ 2.36
That's how much you would tip the waiter

Old 07-24-2007, 12:09 AM

652 posts, read 2,807,885 times
Sales tax is more than 8%. More than 16% is too much to tip a waiter.

Old 07-24-2007, 01:03 AM

1,297 posts, read 5,517,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James T View Post
Sales tax is more than 8%. More than 16% is too much to tip a waiter.
15% is the minimum anyone should tip a waiter/waitress.

I believe they tax based on the assumption that they will collect a certain % in tips.

If anyone cant afford to leave adequate compensation, they should stay at home and serve themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles