Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 08:37 AM

71 posts, read 483,093 times

Advertisements

One of my L.A. neighbor decided to honk his horn at 5 A.M. to get his friends out of his house to go somewhere. He honked constantly. Needless to say, it woke me up and other people as well. Is there anything i can do like call the police if he does this again? Is this even legal to do that at such a time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 08:40 AM

274 posts, read 627,555 times
It may fall under "Disturbing the peace" for a noise ordinance if it was at 5am. Where I grew up at we had laws like that and they took affect from sun down till sun up. If it happens again get the plate number or get out your camcorder.

Old 08-23-2008, 08:42 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,110,658 times
I would go out there and ask them to stop. That's what phones are for! If it happens again, find out where the person s/he is picking up lives, and call there landlord at 5am. I guarantee it will stop.

Old 08-23-2008, 10:42 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,544,859 times
Some people have no consideration whatsoever.

If you call the police about this, you'll have a long wait - if they ever show up at all. They know that by the time they get there, the offender will probably be long gone. Getting a photo of the license plate might help, but even then, you'd have to prove that car was the one making the noise.

One time I called LAPD asking what are the rules about car alarms going off incessantly all night. There are no rules or laws against this apparently. This was several years ago, so things might have changed, but I couldn't believe it!

When I was living in a different apartment building, my apartment overlooked a busy street. People would honk all the time, because they were too lazy to get out and go to the front gate to buzz whoever they needed. When I complained about it in passing to a neighbor, her response was, "That's what you get for living on the street side" - like it's my fault for not knowing better?!!

Old 08-23-2008, 10:49 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
One of the key considerations about where you choose to live should be the level of traffic on the street you choose - both pedestrian and otherwise. My rules of thumb:
- never live directly on a street with painted single or double yellow lines
- avoid living on the block directly adjacent to a street with double yellow lines

If you are living in an apartment this can make your choices limited, but trust me, you will recover the hassle in peace and quiet. Residential side streets, even in the largest major city, will have exponentially less crime, noise, and trouble.

Old 08-23-2008, 01:15 PM

240 posts, read 888,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
One of the key considerations about where you choose to live should be the level of traffic on the street you choose - both pedestrian and otherwise. My rules of thumb:
- never live directly on a street with painted single or double yellow lines
- avoid living on the block directly adjacent to a street with double yellow lines

If you are living in an apartment this can make your choices limited, but trust me, you will recover the hassle in peace and quiet. Residential side streets, even in the largest major city, will have exponentially less crime, noise, and trouble.
So true, so true. As usual, wise words from Sassberto.

If you have a video camera of any kind and you can see the perpetrator of the horn-honking, capture some video of him so you have some evidence - and save the video just in case the police don't take you seriously the first time it happens.

Old 08-23-2008, 01:30 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
I hate to be the one to give you the bad news, but here are all your options:

1.) Appeal to the neighbor whose friend/colleague/whatever is honking the horn, explain to them that it wakes you up, and ask them (nicely) if they would get their friend to stop it.

2.) Live with it.

3.) Move.

Irrespective of noise ordinances etc. the police are too busy (A) fighting serious crime or (B) dunking donuts and sipping coffee. Either way the police are not going to be able to help you.

The sad fact is that the government is ineffective in settling minor disputes such as described in the OP. The sooner you realize this the sooner you can face the real alternatives.

Old 08-23-2008, 11:34 PM

71 posts, read 483,093 times
thx. if this happens again, i'll just call the cops and see what happen. i will also get my camera and see if this jerk doesn't stop. I went outside and he saw me and stopped. Though, if it happens one more time at an ungoldy hours on a RESIDENTAL STREET(away from main street with heavy traffic--can't even hear the car from where i live), i will get my camcorder and record this. thx guys. I can't believe such people exist on this earth--seriously at 5 am!!! C'mon.

Old 08-24-2008, 08:21 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,751,467 times
Did this only happen once or has it been a constant problem?

Old 08-24-2008, 09:01 PM

521 posts, read 1,628,986 times
How inconsiderate some people can be. They just do not understand that we live in a society.
I pretty much agree with everyone else that calling the cops may be futile since they have "bigger fish to fry." Your first option will have to be to tell your neighbor.
But if that doesnt work, you may have to get some vigilante justice. You know, purchase/make a spike strip. Lay it out conveniently at 4:30ish in the morning at the same exact spot Neighbors Ride comes along. It'll be too dark for your mark to see. Of course, if you do this, you'll have to be anynomous in telling your neighbor to tell his friend not to honk his horn (say perhaps leaving him a note)........Im just kidding, lol.

no but really...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles