Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 11:08 AM

59 posts, read 195,362 times

Advertisements

Just looking for opinions! I am looking into FINALLY buying a house. Of course, my fiance is dead-set on the types of houses we can afford (400K) that are in Valencia. However, I have a few concerns:

One is the commute. I work downtown and do not want that hour long or more commute on the 5 to kill me everyday! I work EXTREMELY long days and like the fact that I only have a 20 minute commute right now.

The second worry is resale! With gas prices still shooting up how hard will it be to resell my house in five years, etc. Will people want to shell out the money for that kind of commute everyday or will everyone stay away from the Valencia, Stevenson Ranch and Santa Clarita area?

What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 11:11 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,552,477 times
Valencia is a nice area, but you're right to worry about the effects of higher gas prices. Personally, I wouldn't buy a house right now. There's so much inventory in housing at the moment that prices are continuing to fall. I'm not an expert by any means, but I do pay attention to what I see around here. I'd reassess in six months or a year.

Old 08-23-2008, 11:40 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,276,566 times
I have a 45-60 minute commute, but I go the other way to the Antelope Valley on the 14. It does wear on you. I think it is worse heading down to LA as the big intersection of the 5 and the 14 quickly followed by the 210 and then 405 can be a mess. Then further down you have the Sepluveda pass and so on. Sigalerts abound. As far as housing, mine has probably gone down (from a theoretical high) $200K. I am seeing a couple of signs out now and a few new people in the neighborhood so I think there is a shift from renting to buying now. I also read about that in a local real estate flyer. There is a big draw to live here for the schools etc. I see quite a bit of development in the industrial parks so that should allow staying here for some people.

Old 08-23-2008, 12:11 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,116,949 times
With the concerns that you have, I think you'll be unhappy with moving to Valencia. With the number of foreclosures and auction sales, you should be able to find a house closer to work, in an area where people want to live.

Old 08-23-2008, 12:51 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,275,166 times
Default Things to think about...

1. If you work really long hours, you may miss most of the bad traffic. If my dh leaves home by 6:00, he can make it to work in less than 30 min. And now with gas prices so high, he says it has REALLY cut down on traffic. Also, there is the metrolink as an alternative.

2. In terms of home value/real estate investment, now is a great time to buy out here. Home prices are way down and lots to chose from. If you're in it for the long run, prices will come back up and probably continue to go up. The growth out here has been incredible. If you like California living, this area is fantastic - clean, safe, very family friendly with great schools and great shopping too!

3. I don't think gas prices will hurt the market out here that much. Lots of people work in Burbank/Glendale which isn't that far and like I said, there's always the train.

Good luck with your decision

Old 08-23-2008, 04:28 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,338,965 times
The writing is on the wall for our generation: moving closer in is the thing to do. Data supports this in every major city in the country and at street level, watch the gentrification continue.

Only buy if you like it out there or you'll end up hating the weather, the culture (or lack thereof), the vanilla architecture and the awful commute and it's rising cost and the fact that it sucks hours and hours out of your life.

People who like it there "escaped" L.A. or moved there because houses were cheap and like the homogenous appearance and conservative attitudes. It's for some, not others. it's not L.A., it more closely resembles the outskirts of Vegas. I don't think it's for you.

Old 08-23-2008, 07:15 PM

514 posts, read 1,441,473 times
That drive is insane.My good friend lives up there and if he is 5 mins late,his 20 min drive is now over an hour.Thats why i never moved up there.I stayed in the valley,untill i decided to move out of state.

Look into La crescenta or montrose .Both have the 2 fwy which leads into downtown LA

Old 08-24-2008, 12:01 AM

59 posts, read 195,362 times
Now all I have to do is convince my fiance into buying a small 1950s house compared closer to work instead of a gigantic 2000 house in Valencia. UGGGGHHHHH! That isn't going to be fun!

Old 08-24-2008, 03:44 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,338,965 times
Where exactly do YOU want to live?

Maybe you can compromise on a newer condo.

Old 08-24-2008, 01:25 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,116,949 times
I think that if she is against Valencia, it'll be easier than you think. Just start with arguments for Valencia, and when she makes her arguments against, offer the house as a compromise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles