Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 03:54 AM

488 posts, read 1,513,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAGuy View Post
So i got home from a long day at work earlier than usual. As i about to open my front door, i saw that same neighbor walking out of my backyard.

I just couldn't believe it. I yelled at him to stop, but he walk off normally back to his home. When he got back to his house, he turn and stare at me. I stare back and smiled. I went inside and view my security camera and bingo found him entering my premise(outside) and just peeking into my home again.

so what should do? go the bad - good cop routine??
That is going to be difficult unless you are schizophrenic. Robin Williams could pull it off; maybe. I would have talked to the person the first time their behavior bothered me. Though I prefer 30's/40's filmnoir, if I had a videotape of a neighbor plainly looking into my home I would demand an explanation and if not satisfied, contact the police. But only as a last resort (before violence of course).

p.s. Deleted the last post: quoted wrong post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 11:55 PM

71 posts, read 483,254 times
see i don't want to involve the police unless it is my ONLY options. I tried to talk to him after the incident(whenever i see him standing in his front lawn), but he ignored me now. I would say "hey", but he goes on doing his business. Of course, i don't want to step upon his property. So i just went back to my house. Either he is scared or he playing mind games with me.

Either way, i want GOOD neighbors/friends. I don't want to cause animosity. But his behavior is extremely creepy.

Yes, my lawn is unfenced. I didn't think some creep would try to spy on me. Any advice guys?

Old 09-12-2008, 12:02 AM

1,203 posts, read 4,419,548 times
Quote:
see i don't want to involve the police unless it is my ONLY options. I tried to talk to him after the incident(whenever i see him standing in his front lawn), but he ignored me now. I would say "hey", but he goes on doing his business. Of course, i don't want to step upon his property. So i just went back to my house. Either he is scared or he playing mind games with me.

Either way, i want GOOD neighbors/friends. I don't want to cause animosity. But his behavior is extremely creepy.

Yes, my lawn is unfenced. I didn't think some creep would try to spy on me. Any advice guys?
Can you build a fence?

Old 09-12-2008, 12:04 AM

the problem with fences is that it creates barriers to being good neighbors. I grew up in a small town where there is no such thing as fences because it was considered very rude to the others living in the neighboorhood. Then again, this is L.A.

I'll look into but i really don't want to.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:17 AM

1,203 posts, read 4,419,548 times
Quote:
the problem with fences is that it creates barriers to being good neighbors. I grew up in a small town where there is no such thing as fences because it was considered very rude to the others living in the neighboorhood. Then again, this is L.A.

I'll look into but i really don't want to.
I understand what you mean, I grew up in a small town too. Only thing is, LA is full of crazy people, and it looks like one is your neighbor. If you don't want to do the fence thing, maybe you should start recording and saving all of this. Then, take it to the police.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:19 AM

1,714 posts, read 6,055,527 times
Here is another take: "good fences make good neighbors". Worth a thought, anyway.

Old 09-12-2008, 06:34 PM

hmm... Don't take it personally, but i don't believe in that quote because it implies a very negative atmosphere and that part of the problem i see in L.A.

We shouldn't be building walls, but tearing down walls to allow people to make friends and feel comfortable. Building walls are not the solution, it only isolate yourself from everyone else. Just take a look at North Korea.

If i do build a fence, i will wall myself off from my other "Normal" neighbors. Some have walls and some don't. i find those that don't are very friendly and are the type of people i want to make friends with.

thx for the quote though.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:46 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,116,949 times
If you don't want to build a fence and you don't want to call the police; then your only option is live with the knowledge that this person - who has no respect for you, your property or privacy - will be looking in your windows whenever he feels like it because you want to be neighborly.

There's another saying "When in Rome, do as the Romans do." You aren't "in Kansas anymore, Toto".

Old 09-12-2008, 08:47 PM

113 posts, read 155,781 times
If this guy/lady peeks in the same window every time, take a B-27 (I think) target from a local firing range and fill the X and 9 rings with holes.

Hang this (now shot up) target in an area where it can be viewed from the window. Alternatively, tape the target directly to the window.

That's phase one.

For phase two, get yourself a few handfuls of spent brass from the same firing range. Sprinkle it liberally on Jaun/Jaunita's entry point onto your property. Also, sprinkle a few 12 gauge shells around. Line up live bullets/shells on the window sill like little toy soliders (inside the house, of course).

Even if you don't have a gun (even if you detest guns), this works wonders to deter window peepers.

Spent brass/shotgun shells... the universal language.

If you do have guns, and you know what time he/she's gonna be peeping, make it a point to be sitting in an area visible to a peeper while cleaning your shotgun/rifle/pistol.

If you're not a fan of guns, and can't even stand the site of brass, you might try planting rosebushes or blackberry plants below your windows. Take some of those flypaper strips and string them through the bushes below the window. Dab silver nitrate (or other visible stain detection powder, available from www.sirchie.com) on points he/she may touch.

Instal your cameras in highly visible, but inacessable locations. Use the trail cameras available at Cabellas and other outdoor gear outfitters.

Last edited by Binky .357; 09-12-2008 at 08:59 PM..

Old 09-12-2008, 11:28 PM

636 posts, read 2,644,957 times
Quote:
Umm... is there like a law against noisy neighbors staring outside their window and watching me leave or go home and potentially taking the time i leave or return. Or one that goes to back of my house and peek inside my house to see if i am indeed home and make an excuse "oh hey, i haven't seen you in a while, just wanted to make sure you are okay".

Kinda creeps me out. anyone has that problem?
No! creeps me out just hearing about it. If they are middle aged and older I'd say they are lonely or noisy. Younger people might be setting you up for a robbery. Lock your door!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles