Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 04:44 PM

689 posts, read 2,582,389 times

Advertisements

The weather has been great. Our electric bill last month was $50, I think maybe we used the AC once. Kids soccer games today were much more tolerable today than last week with temps in the mid 90s. It has been a little "chilly" (we're such weather wimps) and I had to wear a long sleve shirt all day on Friday, brrrr.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 09:51 PM

9 posts, read 18,799 times
^^ Another weather wimp checking in, I was cold Friday too. Absolutely loving the weather. Don't have central AC so the past week or so has been just perfect.

Old 09-14-2008, 10:09 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Hah, I'm already weather-wimpy myself...after only 3.5 years here. I put on thick socks and long sleeves on Friday. :lol:

Old 09-15-2008, 12:22 AM

190 posts, read 443,544 times
You guys and your weather descriptions! It's making me almost depressed to know that I'm stuck in NJ for at least two more years (school/money... blech!).

It was cooling down over here to the tune of 70s during the day and mid-50s at night, but then somebody turned July on and it was back to 80s all throughout the day with disgusting humidity. Oh joy! I'm sure that once this tropical air mass moves on out, the temperature will pull off one of its classic Jersey 40-degree-in-one-day drop offs.

Rest assured that I'll be dreaming of LA weather in 3 months as I'm shoveling snow off the driveway in 30 degree weather with a wind chill in the single digits.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:50 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,611,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymum View Post
You guys and your weather descriptions! It's making me almost depressed to know that I'm stuck in NJ for at least two more years (school/money... blech!).

It was cooling down over here to the tune of 70s during the day and mid-50s at night, but then somebody turned July on and it was back to 80s all throughout the day with disgusting humidity. Oh joy! I'm sure that once this tropical air mass moves on out, the temperature will pull off one of its classic Jersey 40-degree-in-one-day drop offs.

Rest assured that I'll be dreaming of LA weather in 3 months as I'm shoveling snow off the driveway in 30 degree weather with a wind chill in the single digits.
I spent 3 yrs living in NYC\ Brooklyn & enjoyed the different climate [seasons but I knew I would return to California [& reminded myself esp when it got super-humid]. But, overall, I loved living in New York & also briefly in Philadelphia.

Tomorrow our cool weather will end with temps moving back into the 90's & maybe above 100F in the valleys for a few days

Old 09-15-2008, 01:02 AM

3 posts, read 16,277 times
Cool Nice one...

I guess summer is more exciting... I mean... the heat does not count, the nice girls does not count, the money I have in my wallet do not count... It is all about seeing the nice aspects of all the thing, it is all about smileing in a world for which you are nobody, it is all about waking up every morning and saying: ' I am all I am due to all has happend to me! All these have shaped me into this fine observer of this crazy, but wonderful world!
I am here.... And everybody will here me, because I really have something to say... And I will TELL IT LOUD!
[URL="http://www.consultantalicenta.com"]www.consultantalicenta.com[/URL] [URL="http://www.documentareonline.com"]www.documentareonline.com[/URL]

Old 09-15-2008, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
I spent 3 yrs living in NYC\ Brooklyn & enjoyed the different climate [seasons but I knew I would return to California [& reminded myself esp when it got super-humid]. But, overall, I loved living in New York & also briefly in Philadelphia.

Tomorrow our cool weather will end with temps moving back into the 90's & maybe above 100F in the valleys for a few days
Haha, 100 in the valley is practically running weather for me. When it's 100 here, I collapse from the humidity. The seasons can be fun, but I just hate harsh cold, and the winters here are exactly that. Couple that with summers which are every bit as hot and sticky as Houston or Florida and suddenly, living here seems like the worst of all worlds. I'll admit, it's usually nice in September and May- that's it.

Another thing I can't stand about this area- allergies. The moldy leaves on the ground from October through Thanksgiving drive me nuts and give me asthma attacks. The tree pollen (and I mean enough to cover your car with caked-on golden brown matter!) in spring gives me constant sneezing and runny noses. The chaparral on California's coast never bothers me- score another point for the Mediterranean climate!

Old 09-15-2008, 08:12 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymum View Post
Haha, 100 in the valley is practically running weather for me. When it's 100 here, I collapse from the humidity. The seasons can be fun, but I just hate harsh cold, and the winters here are exactly that. Couple that with summers which are every bit as hot and sticky as Houston or Florida and suddenly, living here seems like the worst of all worlds. I'll admit, it's usually nice in September and May- that's it.

Another thing I can't stand about this area- allergies. The moldy leaves on the ground from October through Thanksgiving drive me nuts and give me asthma attacks. The tree pollen (and I mean enough to cover your car with caked-on golden brown matter!) in spring gives me constant sneezing and runny noses. The chaparral on California's coast never bothers me- score another point for the Mediterranean climate!
I'm from Bergen County too and I can say this: Enjoy these last couple/few rounds of seasons, because you WILL miss them. That said, I don't like the harsh cold either! The cold where your face actually hurts...and your ears...ow.

But right now you're coming into autumn and there is no autumn like in the northeast. It's one of a kind. So enjoy it for now. Soon enough you'll be on the west coast and you'll have happy memories to bring with you!

Old 09-15-2008, 12:36 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,611,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I'm from Bergen County too and I can say this: Enjoy these last couple/few rounds of seasons, because you WILL miss them. That said, I don't like the harsh cold either! The cold where your face actually hurts...and your ears...ow.

But right now you're coming into autumn and there is no autumn like in the northeast. It's one of a kind. So enjoy it for now. Soon enough you'll be on the west coast and you'll have happy memories to bring with you!
Entirely agree. A native Californian, I attended college in Chicagoland region & then lived in Philly for 3 months & NYC for 3 yrs. The first snowfall & I was running around like a kid while classmates cursed. Snow cover for months w/ frequent heavy snowstorms. My hair would freeze within seconds after I showered & rushed to class But weeks of really cold days where car door handles freeze & a garage heater is necessary in order to start a car in the morning. Loved the muffled city noise when it snowed. Winter in New York is cold but Chicago is brutal! - but I was delighted.

Actually I enjoyed summer on the East Coast but without A/C humid nights were a bit uncomfortable [but a window fan & slightly opened bedroom door creates a wind tunnel]. Spring\ May meant days of warm rainfall & loved the thunderstorms. .

I know it is selfish to say it but the climate in SoCal is boring. Months on end of sun & warm temps is great but variety is also great.

Old 09-15-2008, 01:25 PM

happ you do bring up two very cool things about the weather here which I will miss- the thunderstorms (minus branches falling on your car hehe), and the awesome muffled effect of heavy snowfall. You can hear a pin drop during a snowstorm because the white stuff absorbs all the sound AND there are less people out driving.

I understand how socal weather can be boring for some, but I'll honestly never tire of it. I've always been a summer boy, wasting away in the fall and winter waiting desperately for spring to arrive. I'll be running around like a kid on the beach in December, wearing shorts and a longsleeve while my friends back east are bundled up like eskimos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles