Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 05:32 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,337,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
The reason landlords rent illegal units is not always just to skirt property tax - many times the place is jerry-rigged and not HABITABLE as the OP's follow up post confirms. Not everyone knows from looking at a unit what is wrong with it - that's why it needs to pass inspection by someone who is trained in such.

How could they have known that the sewage from other tenants' pipes would drain up into where they were living when they first rented the place? As I stated earlier - they need to find a place that is legal for their own health and safety.

Why is it that people seem to think it is ok to break certain laws? It isn't uninhabitable, just illegal - that's rich.
Many people over the years have build good quality rental units, granny flatts, places to have there newly married son/daughter and son/daughter in law live that are unpermitted building projects. It has happened for years. Doesn't mean that they are building it substandard. When the unit has no need for the family member chances are it is rented out. Is it legal? No. Does that mean its a bad build? No. You are assuming that all illegal rental units are not up to code and that is no the case. Many are up to code. From the comments within this post we can all asume that many are also not up to code. Do not think that just because someone didn't pull a permit and go through the proper channels that the place is unihabitable. That is not always the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 05:33 PM

16 posts, read 112,346 times
No, I didn't question the drain. I was naive. My bad I agree. I also didn't question no sink in the bathroom, holes in the walls, open pipes, no heat, dangling electrical wires, rodent droppings, cockroaches, bathroom with no door next to the kitchen area sink, ceiling lights not properly framed. Again, I'm poor. Just accepted that the poor don't get much.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:21 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,637,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofCoffee View Post
No, I didn't question the drain. I was naive. My bad I agree. I also didn't question no sink in the bathroom, holes in the walls, open pipes, no heat, dangling electrical wires, rodent droppings, cockroaches, bathroom with no door next to the kitchen area sink, ceiling lights not properly framed. Again, I'm poor. Just accepted that the poor don't get much.
oh, dear! if those conditions were present when you moved in, there is no way you can stand up in a court of law and claim that you were deceived. you didn't know, but you SHOULD have, because a reasonable person in your situation would have inquired. the writing was quite literally on the wall. ordinarily, you would have recourse pursuant to your lease's implied warranty of habitability, but since the subject of the contract was, itself, illegal, your lease is void (i.e., there isn't one). since you moved into the unit with all the obvious defects you listed, you would have a hard time convincing a court that you entered into that agreement in good faith and are owed anything. you got a cheap, disgusting place to live, and the landlord got a gullible tenant who was willing to tolerate those conditions and ask no questions. call it even, and move on.

i'm not sure i understand your point about having to defend an action by your landlord to collect back rent. why would your landlord think that he can collect back rent from you if he served you a UD because the unit was deemed illegal? no contract=no rent.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
You don't have to pay the rent, and the landlord doesn't have to allow you access to the property if you don't. Remember this is an illegal rental. As far as anyone is concerned it legally doesn't really exist. The deal that you have is between you and the owner. What are your concerns? Chances are the rental should be below market rate. If it is not negotiate that. Has the landlord taken care of the property? do you have any issues with them or the rental? My thought is that if you like the place and it meets your needs then what does it matter? Your not breaking the law hear. The owner of the property is and that is on them. Lets face it plenty of homes in the LA, Ventura, Orange, and San Diego county areas have illegal rentals. As long as the place is meeting your needs let it go. Chances are as soon as you leave someone else will be renting the place. Now if you can't stand it then move to a place that you like.
what are you talking about? negotiate what? the OP has been evicted from an illegal unit. the landlord has been busted and the tenant must go.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:34 PM

16 posts, read 112,346 times
I'm not complaining about what I saw but what the owner wouldn't do in the final months. I think he's a jerk to file a UD on an illegal unit. If he had comped me for my losses, I would have stayed and continued to pay him rent not knowing that the unit was illegal and unhabitable. By filing the UD all this came to light. I'm hoping the next person doesn't get duped and I'm hoping I can get moving costs and my deposit back in tenant/landlord court.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofCoffee View Post
I'm not complaining about what I saw but what the owner wouldn't do in the final months. I think he's a jerk to file a UD on an illegal unit. If he had comped me for my losses, I would have stayed and continued to pay him rent not knowing that the unit was illegal and unhabitable. By filing the UD all this came to light. I'm hoping the next person doesn't get duped and I'm hoping I can get moving costs and my deposit back in tenant/landlord court.
i gathered that he was forced to evict you because your illegal tenancy came to the attention of city authorities. is that not what happened? when a landlord is found to be leasing an illegal unit, the city forces him to evict tenants immediately, because the unit is not authorized to be let. even if you were a squatter on the property, you would have to be served with an unlawful detainer because you have acquired possessory rights by being there, and the landlord can't just put your belongings on the street and change the locks without a court order. if that isn't what happened, then you should report the illegal rental to the authorities, instead of passively "hoping" that no one else gets screwed.

you are continuing to be naive in thinking that someone who would lease you an illegal, uninhabitable unit would voluntarily compensate you for your losses. if you have already moved out, the UD is a moot point. if it is not withdrawn before the hearing date, tell your story in court, and perhaps the judge will take pity on you and award damages in the amount of your security deposit...but, don't count on it. after all, do you really think a judge will believe that you rented a place with no bathroom door, no kitchen sink, exposed electrical wiring, holes in the walls, and a floor drain; and you thought it was on the up-and-up? your hands appear unclean, my friend.

Last edited by katenik; 09-18-2008 at 12:35 AM..

Old 09-17-2008, 11:15 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,400,633 times
what is your motive in leaving the lease?

Old 09-18-2008, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
what are you talking about? negotiate what? the OP has been evicted from an illegal unit. the landlord has been busted and the tenant must go.
You are correct. The problem is that the information you are talking about was not given untill after I made the post you are objecting to. Please re read the OP's original post and then notice that what I said was placed after that post and then the information came out about what was happening. Something that may help you is to read the post in the order that they are posted.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:14 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,423,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Many people over the years have build good quality rental units, granny flatts, places to have there newly married son/daughter and son/daughter in law live that are unpermitted building projects. It has happened for years. Doesn't mean that they are building it substandard. When the unit has no need for the family member chances are it is rented out. Is it legal? No. Does that mean its a bad build? No. You are assuming that all illegal rental units are not up to code and that is no the case. Many are up to code. From the comments within this post we can all asume that many are also not up to code. Do not think that just because someone didn't pull a permit and go through the proper channels that the place is unihabitable. That is not always the case.
Please let me know when it was that I used "all" or "always". Maybe you should re-read my post before making such assumptions.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Please let me know when it was that I used "all" or "always". Maybe you should re-read my post before making such assumptions.
So you didn't use all or always. Your premise seems to be building on the fact that because someone builds an illegal unit, meaning non permitted that it is uninhabitable. My premise is that is not the case. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles