Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 03:05 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,795,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
The only people who will be getting into affordable housing will be the illegals. They are generaly the only ones who "qualify" to get those units.
Isn't this guy Mexican or something? If so, I can't him blame for wanting to help his people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 03:09 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,466,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Isn't this guy Mexican or something? If so, I can't him blame for wanting to help his people.
How about a mayor of an American city help Americans, not people here illegally from another country? If he wants to help Mexicans, perhaps he should apply for citizenship in Mexico and run for Mayor of Tijuana.

Old 10-05-2008, 05:28 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,010,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger500 View Post
I applaud LA Mayor Villaraigosa plan to build more affordable housing. It has been a long time coming.

Los Angeles mayor announces bold housing plan - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080930/ap_on_re_us/la_housing - broken link)
i've always been very skeptical about the so called "affordable housing". the truth is that somebody else has to pay for it. if a builder builds condos or lofts and has to have so many affordable units, won't the builder just pass the costs on to the ppl that are able to pay full price? this doesn't seem fair to me as it an added cost passed on to those who pay. just who quaifies for these units? do they even have to be Legal US citizens or is just another welfare program for poor immigrants? knowing the history of mayor villar, it wouldn't surprise me if he put the home owning dreams of illegals and poor immigrants from other countries over lifelong US citizens.

Old 10-05-2008, 05:43 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,670,791 times
why does everything in LA always come back to illegal imigration?

this is a housing plan. and if anything is questionable about the "affordable" housing, its how "affordable" it will be? a lot of the new lofts and high rises thru out LA were supposed to include lower income units. but thats lower income in comparison to the rest of th eunits which go for 600k and up. affordable coule mean. 400k. 300k. when in reality affordable, or low income would be closer to 200k (and that would be for a person making 50K annually)

either way im lookin forward to when the plans are unveiled. the focus will be on transit oriented development. japan town and boyle heights will see some serious development because they are in the process of getting a light rail. the gold line is about 87% completed. exciting stuff this is.

Old 10-05-2008, 10:00 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,471,219 times
That's exactly what this city needs... more "affordable" buildings and housing subsidies for people who can't get it through their skull that they can't afford to live here.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:39 AM

956 posts, read 3,003,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
How about a mayor of an American city help Americans, not people here illegally from another country? If he wants to help Mexicans, perhaps he should apply for citizenship in Mexico and run for Mayor of Tijuana.
+Rep

Old 10-06-2008, 01:40 AM

956 posts, read 3,003,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
why does everything in LA always come back to illegal imigration?
Why does a discussion of star clusters always come back to astronomy?

Old 10-06-2008, 07:03 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,557,411 times
There a lot of low wage jobs in this city; who is supposed to take those if no one can afford to live here unless they're making $100K per year?

I'm looking for an apartment for a friend of mine who is moving back to L.A. from Canada next month. You'd think she could find a pretty good 1 bedroom apartment for up to $1,200 a month, right? Well, not really. Not if she wants to stay in a good area!

I found a great apartment for her over in Valley Village. I'd live there if I could afford to move! It's a nice, quiet building with some amenities (elevator, central a/c and heat, and two parking spaces), but it costs $1,200 a month. No pool. Why does an apartment like this cost so much?

If you go by the rule that you're only supposed to spend a third of your income on rent, your income would have to be $43,200. I think that's net income, too - after taxes. How many of us make that much?? Not too many people I know! Also, this building is not under rent control (that's probably why it's so nice), so you could face a 10% rent increase every year, depending on market prices and the whim of the landlord.

As for me, I'm sitting here in my rent controlled apartment, patiently waiting for the market to drop enough that I can buy a condo. I just hope I'll still have enough money in my 401(k) to make the down payment!

Old 10-06-2008, 01:10 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,670,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Blooded American View Post
Why does a discussion of star clusters always come back to astronomy?
this is about housing. a plan by the mayor. it deals with housing. not illegals.

besides LA is not just a bunch of illegals. its a lot of different folks. lots of different immigrants and natives and transplants.

what is the point of bringing that into the discussion?

there is a direct link between stars and astronomy.
there is no direct link between illegals and this LA housing plan.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:45 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,631,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger500 View Post
I applaud LA Mayor Villaraigosa plan to build more affordable housing. It has been a long time coming.

Los Angeles mayor announces bold housing plan - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080930/ap_on_re_us/la_housing - broken link)
I think the plan is outstanding. Now some families don't have to move from Los Angeles. It's what I've been talking about all along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles