Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 09:09 PM

3 posts, read 6,331 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move to La from the east coast, because i know i belong there.
I was going to move there with a friend, but he dropped out at the last second.
so i am trying to gain courage to do it all myself. I also know that if i don't move soon..i never will.
so if anyone who has moved across the country alone let me know.
I have about 50k saved up, enough to last me for while. But i don't really know people in LA.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 09:13 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,424,861 times
You have 50 K saved up? What are you worried about? You'll be fine; I moved here with 5.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:24 PM

3 posts, read 6,331 times
its not the money issue..i dont really know people there..more of a social issue. i just don't wnt to move cross country and just chill by myself

Old 09-27-2008, 09:45 PM

419 posts, read 1,452,286 times
Ahh...

What are your interests? What is your occupation? Are you an extrovert? What area are you looking at?

Old 09-28-2008, 06:30 AM

2 posts, read 4,804 times
Don't worry! You will find some friends there! When you find a job, you'll find some intresting people next to you! Just be friendly and it wll work. However be careful and do not tell people how much money do you have Try to improve your life! This chance goes once in lifetime. Honey, do your best, relax and let it be

Old 09-28-2008, 07:56 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,900,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drill25 View Post
I am looking to move to La from the east coast, because i know i belong there.
Can you elaborate?
Why do you want to move to LA?
Have you ever been to LA? Which parts?
What line of work are you in?
Have you researched job opportunities?
What would you guess your housing budget to be?

Old 09-28-2008, 08:58 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,491,621 times
50K?!?!?! My wife and I moved out to LA with $4000. and we were down t o $3400. after the 2300 mile drive. We had a credit card with great perks and a 3K limit, we got by fine even with 90% of people telling us we were crazy for going with so little. You just have to learn the secrets of living cheap and still having fun. It's tricky but we did it with no problem. It does take sacrifice, but that's life. Watch your money, ask yourself "do I really need this?" when you want to buy something thats not food or clothes. If you don't do that LA can drain your wallet pretty quick. That's my advice. Also, like someone else already said, don't run around telling people you have 50K. Obvious reasons. Good Luck!

Old 09-29-2008, 05:15 PM

3 posts, read 5,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
50K?!?!?! My wife and I moved out to LA with $4000. and we were down t o $3400. after the 2300 mile drive. We had a credit card with great perks and a 3K limit, we got by fine even with 90% of people telling us we were crazy for going with so little. You just have to learn the secrets of living cheap and still having fun. It's tricky but we did it with no problem. It does take sacrifice, but that's life. Watch your money, ask yourself "do I really need this?" when you want to buy something thats not food or clothes. If you don't do that LA can drain your wallet pretty quick. That's my advice. Also, like someone else already said, don't run around telling people you have 50K. Obvious reasons. Good Luck!
Dude?? Aren't you Jake Horror? The guy from Indiana that came out here last year and couldn't make it so had to go back home? If so, the advice you give above really doesn't count then does it?

Old 09-29-2008, 05:23 PM

338 posts, read 615,339 times
Why do you think he's fake?

Some people are rich or millioaires!!!!!!!

Old 09-30-2008, 04:27 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,348,104 times
The only way to make friends here is to go out and make them. Ahem. We are joiners here. Figure out what you like and go join an appropriate group or organization or get involved with such. The ones who mope around in their apartments all day because they are afraid to talk to people end up being miserable. Start with the goal of making one friend and go from there. Some people just start walking a dog in Runyon Canyon every day or walking around the Rose Bowl or hanging out drinking coffee in front of Famina. There are a bajillion ways to make friends. If you have any sort of addiction, we've got 12-step groups a' cantaros and those are also sensational places to meet people. Just follow your interests. Most people who move here have no frame of reference to fathom what's here.

People usually start with work when it comes to social circle and build out from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: