Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 05:32 PM

571 posts, read 1,932,618 times

Advertisements

I moved here when I was 17 - moved in with my fiance and his family. We got our own place when I was 18 - it was tough but we made it even when we had very low wages. I have never been unemployed more than a month and it was only that long because I was being picky trying to find the right job (it paid off I have a GREAT one now). If you want to do it - then do it - it's not impossible to do something if you are motivated and it sounds like you are. Finish your AA first - that will help. Although honestly I have a great job and they hired me before I was even done with my degree. Come out here, try it out, see what kind of job you can get, and then decide if it's worth the time and effort to finish a BA degree. The schools out here are great about night and weekend classes and that's what I've always done. I also took the bus for 4 years including to school and to work. At one point I was taking 3 buses to work and then another 3 at night to get to school before getting home at 11pm. I am glad I have a car now but if your budget doesn't allow it - it's more than possible to survive with the bus. It has improved ALOT since I got a car. They have faster, better routes now. The route that I had to take 3 buses to 3 years ago now turned into 1 rapid bus and then a short connector. As soon as I got a car the main bus that I always took to get to my newest job also turned into a rapid. Go figure right??

5,000 should be enough to move. I had a lot less when I got my first apartment. Once you move check out websites like freecycle ( a yahoo group ) and Craigslist to find free or very cheap furniture. I got my first couch there for $100 for a nice comfy leather couch that I still miss to this day.

What areas are you looking at so far to move? How much would you like to be paying in rent? Any particular ethnic groups you'd like to be around? I would check out Glendale. Burbank as well. Very diverse, safe, somewhat cheap, lots of jobs, close to downtown, close to Hollywood, and LOTS to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 10:39 PM

143 posts, read 413,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasksgirl View Post
I moved here when I was 17 - moved in with my fiance and his family. We got our own place when I was 18 - it was tough but we made it even when we had very low wages. I have never been unemployed more than a month and it was only that long because I was being picky trying to find the right job (it paid off I have a GREAT one now). If you want to do it - then do it - it's not impossible to do something if you are motivated and it sounds like you are. Finish your AA first - that will help. Although honestly I have a great job and they hired me before I was even done with my degree. Come out here, try it out, see what kind of job you can get, and then decide if it's worth the time and effort to finish a BA degree. The schools out here are great about night and weekend classes and that's what I've always done. I also took the bus for 4 years including to school and to work. At one point I was taking 3 buses to work and then another 3 at night to get to school before getting home at 11pm. I am glad I have a car now but if your budget doesn't allow it - it's more than possible to survive with the bus. It has improved ALOT since I got a car. They have faster, better routes now. The route that I had to take 3 buses to 3 years ago now turned into 1 rapid bus and then a short connector. As soon as I got a car the main bus that I always took to get to my newest job also turned into a rapid. Go figure right??

5,000 should be enough to move. I had a lot less when I got my first apartment. Once you move check out websites like freecycle ( a yahoo group ) and Craigslist to find free or very cheap furniture. I got my first couch there for $100 for a nice comfy leather couch that I still miss to this day.

What areas are you looking at so far to move? How much would you like to be paying in rent? Any particular ethnic groups you'd like to be around? I would check out Glendale. Burbank as well. Very diverse, safe, somewhat cheap, lots of jobs, close to downtown, close to Hollywood, and LOTS to do.
Thank You So Much For Your Help I Wanna Be Close To Hollywood Or In Hollywood..Do You know Of The School Called The Musicians Institute In Hollywood??? If I Can Be As Near There As Possible Then That would Be Great!! The School Helps Me Find A Roommate Before Moving From my Home State Of Maryland So that Takes Care Of That And With A Roommate I'm expecting To Pay Between 500-800 A Month As Half Of The Rent. I'm Only concerned About Finding A Job And Meeting A Beautiful Women{Or Course School Is In There 2..LOL} I'm A Mixed Male{I'm Black And Brazilian}
I'm Currently 19{I'll Be 20 when I Move Next Fall} Like To Have Fun And Hang Out With Fun People Love Music Or I wouldn't Even Move To LA.

Is It A Lot Of Different Races Through Out Hollywood{meaning Like Black, white,Spanish,Etc{not To Sound Like You Didn't Know That}}

Did You Like It When You First Moved Out There And Did You Meet A lot Of Cool People..I Hope Im Not Asking Too Many Questions..

i Have More..LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles