Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 09:28 PM

7 posts, read 34,511 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are planning on moving to LA at the end of the spring 2009(depending on how the economy wave rides over the next couple of months). I really want to go back to school to obtain an MBA. I am from the Boston area and use to a number of schools in a city. browsing the web, the only programs i've seen thus far are through Pepperdine and USC. What kind of reputation do these schools have in the LA job market? I am wanting to spend the least possible, but still attend a quailty program. any suggestions? In addition, what areas could we live in that I could have a reasonable commute to these schools(30 minutes or less) and spend no more than 1000-1250/m for a 1 bedroom. I plan on looking for employment close to the school I choose.

thanks for any suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 09:10 AM

830 posts, read 2,861,143 times
First off, the economy wave won't be over in a few months.

Secondly, if you only found two MBA programs in LA, you didn't do much of a search.

What do you mean the least possible but still a quality school? How do you define both of those? You can go to a state school for $5,000 per year or Pepperdine for $20,000 per year, or whatever it is.

You can find all kinds of information online about MBA programs and their rankings. Do a search and you'll find more than you could ever want.

Where you live will depend on where you end up going to school. And where you live will determine what your rent will be and what your commute will be. Depending on where you live and what time of day you will be going to school, a 30 minute commute could be you living anywhere from 5 to 30 miles from school.

Pepperdine is in a very nice area and rents around there, I would presume, are going to be expensive, more than you are wanting to pay. USC is in the ghetto (literally).

You need to do some more research and figure out what you want before we can give you much advice. There are too many variables to guess about.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:27 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
Motoman is right. Do some more research to get a better idea of what you want then post back here for help.

Arent there quite a few schools in your current area that offers MBA programs? Why did you decide that you want to come to LA but havent decided on a school? Is it the glamorous lifestyle and exciting happenings in LA that desire? If so, how do you expect to complete MBA classes with all the distractions of LA happening around you?

Figure out what school has the best program at the best prices for you, then, if you are accepted, start looking for places to live near the school.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:14 AM

7 posts, read 34,511 times
Thanks for your responses.

I don't anticipate the economic "wave" to end over the next couple months, however, with the bailout, there will be legislation passed that will change certain economic platforms in this county, that may very well effect our decision to move.

We are moving to Cali, because we have been wanting to move out of BOS for awhile now to LA or FL, but those hurricanes are no fun (I use to live in FL and have been through enough hurricanes than I care to remember)and we have been putting this move off forever. We love the weather and lifestyle there. We have spent enough time there to feel confident about our decision. We are excited. (well....not excited about the traffic)
I was planning on going back to school here anyways.....but since our plans our changing, I want to apply for schools in SoCal as well as here in MA just in case.

I apologize I should have been more specific about the MBA programs. I have done some research, and in SoCal the main schools that continue to come up most popular are Pepperdine, USC, and UCLA. If there are other programs I am not finding them or they are not as well advertised on the internet. I have seen the rankings but they are nationally and not state specific.

Here in Boston, we have certain universities and colleges that are state schools but have great reputations for having quality programs at a state school price. To be honest I don't believe that you have to pay a tremendous amount of money to get a quality education. Alot of times your just paying for a reputation and prestige that comes with going to "Harvard", "MIT", etc. sooooo...I guess what Im seeking is more the 3rd party "opinion" rather than online, where its mostly marketing material and basic info about the program.

What im hoping to find in a MBA program is more a general business curriculim, not looking for a career/field specific MBA. I don't qualify for executive programs. I have attended some webinars for some of the schools mentioned above. but its speaks more about the school when you can get positive feedback from others.

hope this narrows it down a bit

Old 10-23-2008, 11:23 AM

419 posts, read 1,450,174 times
The least expensive business grad programs are offered through the Cal State and UC systems - nearly all are AACSB accredited and well-respected in the region. There's the caveat of residency qualification since all of us CA taxpayers are subsidizing their lower cost. USC arguably has one of the better alumni networks, but can be expensive. The e-MBA through USC is right around $100k, depending on pre-reqs and eligibility. Pepperdine is possibly the most expensive MBA in the region and has great marketing; however, their acceptance rate is among the highest in the area so they are not selective with their applicants. The UC schools are somewhat of a middle ground, being a bit more pricey than Cal States but much less than a private school and fairly selective.

Here is a nice comparative matrix from Cal Poly Pomona:
Cal Poly Pomona MBA Programs (http://www.csupomona.edu/%7Emba/general/compare.htm - broken link)

My MBA alma mater, University of La Verne, has nowhere near the reputation of USC or the UC system but offered tremendous flexibility with tons of campuses and outstanding faculty. The acceptance rate is on the high side, but is still more selective then Pepperdine. The alumni network is average.

Consider purchasing "The Book of Lists" from the LA Business Journal and OC Business Journal. I believe you will find a very nice comparative analysis of the grad schools in the region that includes program cost and ratings.

Old 10-24-2008, 01:10 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
I would not look at the cost of the program but the benefit to the program for you. Lets say that you are accepted into any program that you choose and you are able to get student loans, or some other finance option to pay for school. For the durration of your program chances are you will have a minimal amount to pay for your education. Find out what the average starting pay for a graduate within each of the programs. I know Pepperdine grads that had jobs before they completed the program. One friend had a job offer that included paying off the student loans. Not so much is this a question of you get what you pay for, but more a question of what will the benefit be to me after I complete the program.

Lets say that the program at Cal Poly cost less than the others. How does it perform in the end? Can you bring in a wage that will pay the cost back? What I am saying is drop the sticker shock and go for the program that will pay off in the end.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I would not look at the cost of the program but the benefit to the program for you. Lets say that you are accepted into any program that you choose and you are able to get student loans, or some other finance option to pay for school. For the durration of your program chances are you will have a minimal amount to pay for your education. Find out what the average starting pay for a graduate within each of the programs. I know Pepperdine grads that had jobs before they completed the program. One friend had a job offer that included paying off the student loans. Not so much is this a question of you get what you pay for, but more a question of what will the benefit be to me after I complete the program.

Lets say that the program at Cal Poly cost less than the others. How does it perform in the end? Can you bring in a wage that will pay the cost back? What I am saying is drop the sticker shock and go for the program that will pay off in the end.
Good for your friend - that is a sweet deal.

BUT

there are no guarantees of a job offer at the conclusion of any program. The cost is indeed a factor that shouldn't be ignored! If Cal Poly, as an example, has an outstanding alumni network and employment connections, why expend incremental dollars for no incremental value?

Old 10-24-2008, 02:27 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,074,312 times
I'd start my research looking only at the AACSB accredited schools. Then look at the individual programs (quality, specialty if any, etc), employment of grads, and the alumni network.

AACSB accredited business schools in Southern California are:

University of California, Irvine
University of California, Los Angeles
University of California, Riverside
California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
California State University, Fullerton
California State University, Long Beach
California State University, Los Angeles
California State University, Northridge
California State University, San Bernardino
Chapman University
Claremont Graduate University
Loyola Marymount University
Pepperdine University
University of San Diego
San Diego State University
University of Southern California

Old 10-24-2008, 03:49 PM

The AACSB accreditation process takes a few years. There are a number of schools that may not have it today, but are well on their way to receiving certification.

Old 10-24-2008, 04:11 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConsideringLA View Post
Good for your friend - that is a sweet deal.

BUT

there are no guarantees of a job offer at the conclusion of any program. The cost is indeed a factor that shouldn't be ignored! If Cal Poly, as an example, has an outstanding alumni network and employment connections, why expend incremental dollars for no incremental value?
So true and in todays world the opportunities will be different than in the past. Things are allways changing. Something that I am working on now is to complete my CPA. Thank's to Enron many employers are looking for and willing to pay very well for a CPA. I would push for completing the requirenments for that along with the MBA in todays world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles