Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 09:37 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,236,618 times

Advertisements

Amen to the mighty Thomas Guide! I've lived here all my life and cannot imagine NOT having one handy. Before I travel anywhere, I make sure I get detailed maps beforehand- I suspect it's because the TG has spoiled me over the years. The TG also lists the Metro stations, Metrolink, Amtrak, etc. which I find very helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 09:40 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
TG is great for what it is, but its 20th century technology. GPS is so much easier. I keep a TG in my car and only consult it on the rare occasion that something's not in my GPS's database.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:59 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,236,618 times
I'm sure you're right. I like the google feature that actually shows a (relatively recent) pic of the building you are looking for. Haven't used the GPS, but then again I don't drive very far.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:14 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,608,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
The problem I've found with LA's freeways (compared to the one's in OC) is that since the city was built first, they had to shoehorn the freeways in afterward. So you get weird stuff like an exit ramp that drops you off literally in front of someone's house and there's no apparent way how to get back on the freeway unless you're looking at a map.
I noticed the same thing when I first moved here. There's one stretch in the SFV valley where you pass by about 3 on ramps for the 101 south before finally getting to one for the 101 north. I guess they just didn't have enough room to build exits/on ramps in both directions, like you said.

And you definitely need a Thomas Guide or GPS here. I like to think of it as the Angeleno's equivalent to the New Yorker's subway map.

Old 12-06-2008, 12:41 AM

149 posts, read 567,867 times
Yeah I am going to move there next month and spend a couple weeks adjusting to the area. Hopefully it will not be so tough to navigate my way around Southern California.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:58 PM

352 posts, read 482,836 times
A friend told me about this helpful website. I thought it was pretty cool

Sigalert.com - Los Angeles & Orange County Traffic Report

Old 01-18-2009, 11:26 PM

12 posts, read 29,360 times
is there a portable gps that will give alternate routes and shortcuts?

it would great to use if i want to avoid the freeways and highways

Old 08-05-2010, 12:47 PM

97 posts, read 238,589 times
I've negotiated about moving to Los Angeles, California. I heard about the freeways, they're awesome. IF one is late or being late for work because of traffic, one can't blame traffic, but himself; timing is critical in the Los Angeles area. Oh, but what about the neighborhoods? Some are extremely dangerous, but if you are bypassing a neighborhood, just take care of business, not create problems. Los Angeles is neat.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:51 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davante View Post
I've negotiated about moving to Los Angeles, California. I heard about the freeways, they're awesome. IF one is late or being late for work because of traffic, one can't blame traffic, but himself; timing is critical in the Los Angeles area. Oh, but what about the neighborhoods? Some are extremely dangerous, but if you are bypassing a neighborhood, just take care of business, not create problems. Los Angeles is neat.
How did this thread that is 2 years old get dug up again I wonder. The subject of traffic and Los Angeles comes up weekly I think.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles