Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 02:15 PM

731 posts, read 1,368,334 times

Advertisements

I believe Los Angeles will be very similar to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Mixed Race Mulattos are very common. I think LA will be primarily a mixed race population in 50 years. Los Angeles has a similar vibe to large Brazilian cities.

Old 11-01-2008, 03:02 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,439,815 times
It is interesting, but Hispanics are an enormous group in most US major cities. Check it out:

City % Hispanic or Latino
New York 27%
Los Angeles 46%
Chicago 26%
Houston 37%
Phoenix 34%
San Antonio 62%
San Diego 25%
Dallas 35%
San Jose 32%
Austin 31%
El Paso 86%
Denver 34%
Las Vegas 23%
Miami 80%
Tucson 35%

Hispanics certainly have grown to become very significant in many of our nation's largest cities.

Old 11-01-2008, 03:32 PM

73 posts, read 216,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
It is interesting, but Hispanics are an enormous group in most US major cities. Check it out:

City % Hispanic or Latino
New York 27%
Los Angeles 46%
Chicago 26%
Houston 37%
Phoenix 34%
San Antonio 62%
San Diego 25%
Dallas 35%
San Jose 32%
Austin 31%
El Paso 86%
Denver 34%
Las Vegas 23%
Miami 80%
Tucson 35%

Hispanics certainly have grown to become very significant in many of our nation's largest cities.
And unfortunately to many, its a bad thing.

People go on and on about the "tijuanification" of cities that have large Hispanic populations. How bad crime is, how dirty and rundown it is, etc etc.

Yet, cities with large Hispanic populations, like, I dont know, lets just say Los Angeles or New York, have significantly lower crime rates than cities like Detroit, St. Louis, Atlanta.

Old 11-01-2008, 03:34 PM

73 posts, read 216,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King0fthehill View Post
Los Angeles is already becoming a Tijuana. Unless our Hispanic brethren suddenly change their neighborhood environs, LA will be like most Hispanic hoods (i.e Panorama City, East LA, Pacoima, etc)....Latin culture, gangs, graffiti, under performing schools, rubbish, fruit carts, Spanish-speaking people, rusty old cars and gigante supermarkets will flourish in this 3rd world city.

Also, LA's diversity is severely overrated. People boast about it's diversity with different enclaves that only welcome one particular race, other races are distrusted and viewed with scrutiny; no cohesiveness or like this is some sort of rainbow family. As far as I can see, it's all split up integration..nothing!

Furthermore, most people would shun upon a city being 70% white, bashing it and calling it "conservative, tradition, close-minded, redneck, etc", but when a city is 70% Hispanic (Like Miami or the future LA), it's viewed in a positive light; seen as "diverse, open-minded and an example of working multiculturalism". Not-uh

Lastly, more Hispanics flocking here in droves will only speed up the process. Needless to say, I won't live in a city 70% Hispanic (or 70% any race, for that matter).
So Miami and LA aren't diverse and openminded? I didn't know LA was conservative and close-minded....

Old 11-01-2008, 03:38 PM

23 posts, read 48,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
How about giving $50K to target families to move to the desired city?

Jewish families offered $50,000 to move to Alabama - CNN.com
That actually sounds like a good idea. Maybe someone should delve further into that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticViking
If you dont mind me asking where do you live in watts?
I no longer live in Watts, but I was born off of Clovis near Locke High. I live in Carson now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahugecat
Los Angeles is going t obe 70% Hispanic by 2030? I thought it was already 70% Hispanic...
Los Angeles's Latino population is a little over 50% now.

Old 11-01-2008, 03:51 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,968,755 times
Quote:
People go on and on about the "tijuanification" of cities that have large Hispanic populations. How bad crime is, how dirty and rundown it is, etc etc.
I would say the crime in East Los Angeles is pretty bad. It's like there is a gangbanger on every corner there. If I had a kid I sure as hell would not send him or her to any of the public schools there.

Old 11-01-2008, 04:02 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,068,024 times
Populations shift. They always have.

Old 11-01-2008, 04:08 PM

300 posts, read 1,015,042 times
Bad news just keep on coming
You is gonna be like miami, HAHAH!

Well boys' lets go get some spanish lessons eh?

Old 11-01-2008, 04:39 PM

188 posts, read 920,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnishAmerican View Post
Bad news just keep on coming
You is gonna be like miami, HAHAH!

Well boys' lets go get some spanish lessons eh?
I think Miami and LA are different in that there has been a Cuban business elite present in MIA for generations, creating a large latino, primarily spanish-speaking middle/upper middle class. In LA, despite the Villaraigosa election, the city seems "run" by an Anglo/White business leaders, with first generation immigrant Latinos in primarily working class jobs. Aside from certain local neighborhoods, business is run primarily in English. The 70% figure may seem alarming, but keep in mind a significant amount of the population will be third and fourth generation immigrants, and pretty anglicized and assimilated.

Old 11-01-2008, 05:03 PM

2,625 posts, read 11,219,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmightyZeus View Post
Just something that got me thinking. And this is coming from a proud Angeleno, from Watts. And hopefully this thread doesn't come off as antagonistic, divisive, or condescending.

Los Angeles, as many of you already know, is one of the most diverse cities in the world. And within the city limits, it carries the most ethnic enclaves out of all cities on the planet. That says a lot and it's one of the crown jewels of this city that many other cities cannot lay claim to. Our diverse population is actually what helps to make us an world class alpha city.

However, in the future this is going to change. Los Angeles is obviously bleeding it's black population (it got so bad in San Francisco that Gavin Newsom, the mayor of SF, is actually talking to black leaders in SF to figure out how to keep their black population) with whites right after
them. Asians are coming into the city as well, but not in numbers like - guess who? - the Latinos. This city, at this rate, is going to be 70% Latino by 2030 with Mexicans being the overwhelmingly large percentage of that 70%.

Now, riddle me this. If any city were to be considered 70% white, would it considered "diverse" then? Hell no, it would considered a "white" city with a few blacks, Latinos and Asians making up the rest of the population but many individuals would consider it to be a "white" city. And let's face it, it's not diversity when your Koreatown is majority Latino.

A lot of you are probably saying "this man must hate Latinos or something", well that's far from it. I don't dislike Latinos (outside of those Surenos who are pretty much starting **** with everyone and messing it up for everybody) and a lot of you are saying "What's wrong with being in a city that's majority Latino?" Well, here's my .02:

I don't particularly enjoy living in a city with such lop-sided diversity, either. Chicago and NYC actually have balanced diversity with no one ethnic group being the majority (by such large margins) which add to their alpha city status and allows for a global experience within those cities that many individuals can benefit from. You can learn something from every single ethnic group in the city, but why would you want to live in a city where you're going to be exposed to the majority that diminishes the "worldly experience"?

So my question to you all is this:

- What can we do to keep the diversity of this city "balanced"?

diversity or lack of diversity is something u cant control, and why does everybody complain of lack of diversity as soon as white people start getting outnumbered by other races, white people keep running away from "mexicans, latinos, etc etc, whats going to happen after latinos become the majority in the us, are you guys going to move out the u.s.? Instead of running away, why dont we try to live amongst each other, afterall that is what a "melting pot" truly consist of right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles