Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 08:58 PM

79 posts, read 238,336 times

Advertisements

I'm considering raising a family here in Los Angeles because majority of my relatives live near by. I'm wondering if it is better to move somewhere else or does the whole country seem to have the same issues.

My concerns are with the recent 800+ job layoff the L.A city council has just announced that is directed at city services. According to an article I read today both police and firemen are not exempt from the layoffs. Courtroom closures downtown and around the county along with increasing delays in access to justice, growing case backlogs, longer lines at filing windows and service counters are also expected. Schools and city Library & Recreational services will be hit as well.

I feel the collapse of the U.S economy slowly but surely getting worse. Does anybody see any light at the end of this tunnel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 09:13 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiosa View Post
I'm considering raising a family here in Los Angeles because majority of my relatives live near by. I'm wondering if it is better to move somewhere else or does the whole country seem to have the same issues.

My concerns are with the recent 800+ job layoff the L.A city council has just announced that is directed at city services. According to an article I read today both police and firemen are not exempt from the layoffs. Courtroom closures downtown and around the county along with increasing delays in access to justice, growing case backlogs, longer lines at filing windows and service counters are also expected. Schools and city Library & Recreational services will be hit as well.

I feel the collapse of the U.S economy slowly but surely getting worse. Does anybody see any light at the end of this tunnel?
Nobody wants to see fire and police or schools get cut.

And yes, much of the country has the same issues. Huntsville, which is the polar opposite of Los Angeles and has a pretty healthy economy and an unemployment rate of around 7%, is considering laying off teachers.

The biggest problems for the next generation in Los Angeles are the same problems for this generation: expensive housing and traffic and air quality (and obesity).

Old 05-20-2010, 09:38 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,058,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

And yes, much of the country has the same issues. Huntsville, which is the polar opposite of Los Angeles and has a pretty healthy economy and an unemployment rate of around 7%, is considering laying off teachers.

The biggest problems for the next generation in Los Angeles are the same problems for this generation: expensive housing and traffic and air quality (and obesity).
Don't forget that gangs will also be a problem for kids in LA.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:03 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,163,796 times
Would argue air quality and traffic speeds in LA are much better than 20yrs ago...and weather/topography is some of world's best, only rival is PaloAlto area

Suspect places like Irvine have little need for extensive police/fire (newer housing away from slums) and have decent public schools; slum corridors in any urban region tend to consume more of public services and tax dollars than places where actual taxpayers work/live

Smart, ambitious kids anywhere figure out how to enter leading colleges; choose useful majors; and move wherever are best career opportunities

College towns like Bos/Phila/Urbana attract many smart kids every yr, but nearly all top grads flee to SiliconValley or Manhattan upon graduation

Economic freedom entails easy, logical, self-directed movement of talented people, high-income jobs and money to wherever opportunities are greatest

Old 05-21-2010, 06:43 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,552,477 times
Much of the country has the same issues, but they seem to be magnified in big cities like L.A. I wouldn't choose to raise children here now, especially if I had to send them to L.A. Unified schools. Too many budget cuts, the school days per year are being trimmed, class sizes are getting bigger, teachers are more stressed, etc. And this is only one aspect of the myriad of problems we're facing. I should be encouraging my son to become a prison guard; that's one aspect of the state budget that we probably need to increase!

Old 05-21-2010, 07:16 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:

There is always light at the end of the tunnel, but will that light come on soon, especially in So California? I doubt it.

As much as I wouldn't want to raise a family in Los Angeles right now, as much as I can think of many states that are fairing much better than Ca and as much as I have seen tops cities go south in the past 50 years, being near family can be very important. Let's just say this, if you have a good job, can afford to stay in So Cal and have the family behind you, stay put..If not, start looking at some of the states that appear to be more stable right now, that would be some of the southewest and the midwest states that border the south.

Nita

Old 05-21-2010, 07:20 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
I think the whole country is having the same issues. There's job loss everywhere, there's people without jobs everywhere. There is nothing good in the Midwest, but then again... it seems like no matter which part of the country you are, people are complaining about the job market. Growing up in the Midwest, everyone complained they couldn't find work, the moved to Miami, still people complain they can't find work, now LA. In my opinion its always going to be the same.

If you want to get in the subject of kids, it doesn't matter where you live.. they are going to be exposed to the same things whether you live in a big city or small city, you are not sheltering them from anything.

Old 05-21-2010, 05:51 PM

79 posts, read 238,336 times
Default Good point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

oops good point..I forgot to factor in traffic and air quality. Obesity I feel is a problem in all other states being that portion sizes of meals are way too big along with video games, computers, and cell phones are all ways to be more lethargic and lazy.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:29 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Quote:

It is part of the decline of the American Empire. As the sun sets on America and rises over the far east, we will have to learn to live with less just as the Romans and the English did before us. No empire last forever and ours has lasted a long time.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:53 PM

24 posts, read 44,961 times
Currently going to school in Westwood (UCLA) & and have noticed crime to be going up in the area compared to last year. I wonder this will get worse as the economy continues to decline..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles