Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 10:47 AM

23 posts, read 48,281 times

Advertisements

Just something that got me thinking. And this is coming from a proud Angeleno, from Watts. And hopefully this thread doesn't come off as antagonistic, divisive, or condescending.

Los Angeles, as many of you already know, is one of the most diverse cities in the world. And within the city limits, it carries the most ethnic enclaves out of all cities on the planet. That says a lot and it's one of the crown jewels of this city that many other cities cannot lay claim to. Our diverse population is actually what helps to make us an world class alpha city.

However, in the future this is going to change. Los Angeles is obviously bleeding it's black population (it got so bad in San Francisco that Gavin Newsom, the mayor of SF, is actually talking to black leaders in SF to figure out how to keep their black population) with whites right after them. Asians are coming into the city as well, but not in numbers like - guess who? - the Latinos. This city, at this rate, is going to be 70% Latino by 2030 with Mexicans being the overwhelmingly large percentage of that 70%.

Now, riddle me this. If any city were to be considered 70% white, would it considered "diverse" then? Hell no, it would considered a "white" city with a few blacks, Latinos and Asians making up the rest of the population but many individuals would consider it to be a "white" city. And let's face it, it's not diversity when your Koreatown is majority Latino.

A lot of you are probably saying "this man must hate Latinos or something", well that's far from it. I don't dislike Latinos (outside of those Surenos who are pretty much starting **** with everyone and messing it up for everybody) and a lot of you are saying "What's wrong with being in a city that's majority Latino?" Well, here's my .02:

I don't particularly enjoy living in a city with such lop-sided diversity, either. Chicago and NYC actually have balanced diversity with no one ethnic group being the majority (by such large margins) which add to their alpha city status and allows for a global experience within those cities that many individuals can benefit from. You can learn something from every single ethnic group in the city, but why would you want to live in a city where you're going to be exposed to the majority that diminishes the "worldly experience"?

So my question to you all is this:

- What can we do to keep the diversity of this city "balanced"?

Last edited by AlmightyZeus; 11-01-2008 at 11:48 AM..

Old 11-01-2008, 10:56 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,552,477 times
Education would help. There are two reasons that the Latino population is increasing. The first is that the ones who are already here are still having large families, partly due to the Catholic Church's influence, and partly because that's all they know. I think this is true of lower class people in general, though; they tend to have larger families. The second is illegal immigration (which we're not going to discuss on this thread!). I truly think that education and encouraging young girls to make something of themselves instead of merely being baby factories would go a long way towards evening out the diversity.

Also, L.A. is still an attractive place to live for many. We have a huge Armenian population, for example. I doubt L.A. is in danger of losing its diversity as much as you seem to think.

Old 11-01-2008, 10:58 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmightyZeus View Post
What can we do to keep the diversity of this city "balanced"?
How about giving $50K to target families to move to the desired city?

Jewish families offered $50,000 to move to Alabama - CNN.com

Old 11-01-2008, 11:15 AM

8 posts, read 88,374 times
Los Angeles is going t obe 70% Hispanic by 2030? I thought it was already 70% Hispanic...

Old 11-01-2008, 11:16 AM

2,589 posts, read 8,639,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Education would help. There are two reasons that the Latino population is increasing. The first is that the ones who are already here are still having large families, partly due to the Catholic Church's influence, and partly because that's all they know. I think this is true of lower class people in general, though; they tend to have larger families. The second is illegal immigration (which we're not going to discuss on this thread!). I truly think that education and encouraging young girls to make something of themselves instead of merely being baby factories would go a long way towards evening out the diversity.

Also, L.A. is still an attractive place to live for many. We have a huge Armenian population, for example. I doubt L.A. is in danger of losing its diversity as much as you seem to think.

illegal immigration is such a big part of what is happening to and in this city, that its exclusion as a topic of discussion here seems very arbitrary and artificial, and i can see no good reason for it. apparently, the presidential candidates are following city-data's lead, because they aren't talking about it, either. makes no sense!

regarding the original query: yes, of course, LA is becoming a latin-american city, not a diverse american one. however, as long as the dominant group isn't white, people will continue to call what's left, "diversity," which is just a joke to me. i've even heard people call detroit "diverse," which is proof enough that the word is meaningless.

Old 11-01-2008, 11:20 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,454,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
The first is that the ones who are already here are still having large families, partly due to the Catholic Church's influence, and partly because that's all they know.
Influence…on the birth control issue. I'm guessing "because that's all they know" means no condoms or pills. If that's the case is it because of the belief or just ignorance from not being taught about the methods?

Old 11-01-2008, 11:23 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,637,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahugecat View Post
Los Angeles is going t obe 70% Hispanic by 2030? I thought it was already 70% Hispanic...
No it only seems that way

If this city was 70% Hispanic I would move. Of all of the nationalities I've dealt with in my years, I have had the most problems with Hispanics. I'm sorry it's not meant to be mean, but when you have constant situations where Hispanics want to fight you, you get assaulted by one, robbed by another, and no other ethnic group has ever done anything against you, yeah, you get to thinking you'd just rather not have that many around. I don't know what is wrong with that culture but their men are seriously messed up in general. I took a college class on this, taught by a Mexican-American, my favorite professor actually so I hate to say anything negative about his people, but it was all about the "machismo" and violent culture of Hispanics. That is not acceptable in our country, I'm sorry. It's not ok for people to act that way. I really feel sorry for Hispanic women, I don't know who would want to put up with guys who have to compensate for low IQs by "big cahones." I know lots of great Hispanic people, too bad a few bad ones have to ruin it for everyone. Suffice to say I'll leave this city if it was 70% Hispanic. Even great weather and everything else cannot make up for that huge flaw.

Old 11-01-2008, 12:46 PM

829 posts, read 2,955,924 times
[quote=AlmightyZeus;5954440]Just something that got me thinking. And this is coming from a proud Angeleno, from Watts. quote]

If you dont mind me asking where do you live in watts?

Old 11-01-2008, 01:29 PM

938 posts, read 4,094,561 times
Los Angeles is already becoming a Tijuana. Unless our Hispanic brethren suddenly change their neighborhood environs, LA will be like most Hispanic hoods (i.e Panorama City, East LA, Pacoima, etc)....Latin culture, gangs, graffiti, under performing schools, rubbish, fruit carts, Spanish-speaking people, rusty old cars and gigante supermarkets will flourish in this 3rd world city.

Also, LA's diversity is severely overrated. People boast about it's diversity like this is some sort of rainbow family. As far as I can see, it's all split up with different enclaves that only welcome one particular race, other races are distrusted and viewed with scrutiny; no cohesiveness or integration..nothing!

Furthermore, most people would shun upon a city being 70% white, bashing it and calling it "conservative, tradition, close-minded, redneck, etc", but when a city is 70% Hispanic (Like Miami or the future LA), it's viewed in a positive light; seen as "diverse, open-minded and an example of working multiculturalism". Not-uh

Lastly, more Hispanics flocking here in droves will only speed up the process. Needless to say, I won't live in a city 70% Hispanic (or 70% any race, for that matter).

Old 11-01-2008, 01:55 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,163,796 times
Artificial, quota-based diversity is a dubious aspiration for any region....

Any economically and/or intellectually attractive place will naturally draw smart, ambitious, industrious people from all over the world....naturally diverse product of Darwinian selection, right?

Often, the natives of many formidable regions are the underachievers in that region...amusingly and loudly proclaiming various birthrights or claims of superiority for accidentally being born in a high-achieving region...and much of the new wealth is created by high achievers who immigrated from elsewhere in US or outside US....isn't competition great???

IMO, LA is one of world's 3-4 most desirable regions in which to live and work....but it will always face stiff competition from places like NYC, SiliconValley and Chicago in attracting and retaining the most talented people...talent naturally flows to where it is most rewarded...

If free markets work properly, those who can't figure out how to obtain high enough paying jobs will relocate to cheaper places where low-skill jobs may be more plentiful...LA region would prob be even more desirable w/fewer people and a higher percentage of overachieving, law-abiding taxpayers, no matter color, blah-blah....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles