Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2007, 03:32 AM

1 posts, read 8,143 times

Advertisements

I just moved to LA from NY in January. I'm living near Hollywood and Highland (the Oscar preparations are driving me crazy), but I just got a job in Calabasas.

Having made the trip into the Valley before, or to the Getty, I know that the 101 and 405 are fairly insane except at night or around lunchtime. And the backroads are no better -- I've taken Cahuenga to Ventura Blvd. once (took me forever), and Sunset to Sepulveda to Ventura once (also terrible). Is it better to just take 101N into the Valley, hoping that everyone's taking it in the other direction during peak hours...?

Basically I'm wondering whether to stick it out in Hollywood -- I'm young, my friends are around here or in Los Feliz, there's clubs, restaurants, etc. -- or is this the signal to move? And where to...? A recent college grad, I don't think I can afford to live in Topanga or Malibu or Calabasas. I mean, I'd prefer not to live in the Valley, if only because everyone I know in LA is in Hollywood, Santa Monica or Los Feliz, but should I resign myself to hour-long commutes? I guess I'm not used to driving so much out here on the west coast...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2007, 05:49 AM

196 posts, read 1,237,189 times
Agoura Hills is not as bad, Linkin Park are from that city, I think many young people there, and no long distance by beautiful Kanan Road to Malibu.

Old 02-23-2007, 09:54 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,203,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miracle View Post
Agoura Hills is not as bad, Linkin Park are from that city, I think many young people there, and no long distance by beautiful Kanan Road to Malibu.
Don't go to Agoura Hills..the only young people are those going to high school and is a very boring bedroom community. The drive to Calabasas shouldn't be too bad in the morning but coming home could be a bear. I would just stick it out where you are and see how it goes. If the drive is nuts, Studio City is a bit closer and at least over the hill to cut down on traffic. I did hear than there are going to a lot of new building going on in your area as the city plans to add expensive condos, shopping, etc. to the Hollywood area which means lots of tear downs and backed up traffic. Lots of young people do live in Calabasas as there are a lot of rentals and college kids going to Pepperdine. Good luck

Old 02-23-2007, 10:11 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,102,010 times
Calabasas is a real nice and safe area. If I were you I would move there. Good Luck!

Old 02-23-2007, 01:27 PM

196 posts, read 1,237,189 times
Default Calabasas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
Calabasas is a real nice and safe area. If I were you I would move there. Good Luck!

Calabasas is as boring as Agoura, but Agoura is very beautiful and have wonderful and peaceful landscapes, I dont know whats your way of life, but if you are young and you like clubbing...The best places in between is probably Encino or Studio City, Sherman Oaks, along Ventura B. is ok.

Old 02-23-2007, 11:45 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,171,221 times
I'd think anything along Ventura Blvd. is better than Agoura. Agoura has a lot of older folks. Ventura Blvd. in Woodland Hills isn't bad.

Old 02-24-2007, 12:43 AM

2 posts, read 10,688 times
Default Paradox

Hi, I've been in LA 16 years, moved here from NYC. What you're experiencing is what every LA newcomer goes through. Interestingly, when people first come here they tend to move to Hollywood (including me) -- not sure why. At any rate, you need to figure out your priorities. The options are basically this: 1) Live where you want, work where you can. Accept the fact that you'll be commuting a minimum of 2 hours/day (an hour each way is probably standard for this region). 2) Work where you want, live where you can. Calabasas is a nice area -- real pretty, but it's the 'burbs. If you're young and looking for action, you ain't going to find it there. 3) Compromise. Studio City is pretty happening for the Valley. The reality though is that it will probably save you only 10 mins. on your commute. If you don't mind the Valley, Sherman Oaks and Encino are not entirely awful. Encino might save you 15-20 mins. on your commute. Unfortunately, the fact of the matter is that the 101 (and 405, not to mention the 10) is a nightmare. Generally the bulk of the traffic is headed towards downtown in the morning and north/west in the evening, but you never really know when it's just going to be god-awful. I'll just say that I've figured out that for me the key to keeping sane in this place is to keep the commute down to a maximum of 30 mins. But you have to figure out what works for you. Hope that helps.

Old 02-27-2007, 06:56 PM

9 posts, read 26,193 times
I wouldn't move to Calabasas unless you enjoy traffic on the 101 or being forced out of your apartment at 4 a.m. because of wildfire danger. I couldn't wait to graduate from college and get out of that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles