Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 06:53 PM

1,072 posts, read 845,344 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
What do the upcoming OSCARS mean to you?
Do you and your family/friends have any traditions surrounding this event?

Our neighbors are gearing up for their annual OSCAR PARTY complete with door prizes , and an " indoor golf " tourney for the husbands who are not interested in the GALA-EVENT in the slightest but have to attend anyway!
One year the older kids (as in 8 yr olds) got to dress up and be "seat fillers" for a treat when an adult had to go to the bathroom or refil from the buffet table!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2007, 09:40 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,204,833 times
Your parties sound great! I love the seat filler idea. Did the kids like it?

Old 02-24-2007, 12:38 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,029,752 times
The Oscars mean NOTHING to me.

Old 02-24-2007, 09:55 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,552,477 times
Marilyn, I agree with you and I've lived here all my life. I don't go for the "ritzy, glitzy" thing in L.A. The Oscars are a weird spectator sport for millions, but I don't see the draw of watching a bunch of overpaid actors show off their latest cosmetic surgery, designer gowns and jewelry, etc. It does nothing for me. Some actors are amazing (Meryl Streep and Dustin Hoffman immediately come to mind), but I tend to fall asleep during awards shows. The Oscars also mean that I can't go to that section of Hollywood for a week (sometimes it is fun to wander around up and down Hollywood Blvd.)

But Cathy, if this is really fun and entertaining for you and your friends/family, I hope you all have a wonderful time tomorrow night!

Old 02-24-2007, 01:12 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,204,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Marilyn, I agree with you and I've lived here all my life. I don't go for the "ritzy, glitzy" thing in L.A. The Oscars are a weird spectator sport for millions, but I don't see the draw of watching a bunch of overpaid actors show off their latest cosmetic surgery, designer gowns and jewelry, etc. It does nothing for me. Some actors are amazing (Meryl Streep and Dustin Hoffman immediately come to mind), but I tend to fall asleep during awards shows. The Oscars also mean that I can't go to that section of Hollywood for a week (sometimes it is fun to wander around up and down Hollywood Blvd.)

But Cathy, if this is really fun and entertaining for you and your friends/family, I hope you all have a wonderful time tomorrow night!
Being 50 I remember when the Oscar's were really spectacular...like looking forward to seeing what Cher would wear or not wear and when stars where stars based on talent not noteriety. The caliber of the stars back in the 60's and 70's are so far superior to me than they are now, that it just doesn't have the punch that it used to and am grateful for Tivo.

Old 02-24-2007, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post

SandyCo, I can't watch ANY award show. I never could. They're boring to me. You have to wait for hours to hear your favorite group, singer, speaker, etc, then there's the neverending butt kissing. I'm always like "Does this really need to be televised?"

Old 02-24-2007, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
Being 50 I remember when the Oscar's were really spectacular...like looking forward to seeing what Cher would wear or not wear and when stars where stars based on talent not noteriety. The caliber of the stars back in the 60's and 70's are so far superior to me than they are now, that it just doesn't have the punch that it used to and am grateful for Tivo.
I agree. Everything fell apart when the "studio system" was dismantled and stars had to do things for themselves.

Many of the people that are considered "stars" today never would have even made it as an "extra" years ago.

Old 02-27-2007, 09:55 AM

196 posts, read 1,237,270 times
Default I love Pe

Penelope Cruz!!!

Do someone else fell in love with the spanish (not hispanic) actress??

My God, she looks very beautiful that night, and really I think is a good actress.

Do someone knows where she lives now, I heard that her new home is not far from Hollywood&Highland, in one of the first roads up the hills back runyon canyon, between Los Feliz and Hollywood Hills but dont know exactly where, I saw in the area many other famous but never Penelope....

Old 02-27-2007, 03:31 PM

683 posts, read 4,617,136 times
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the term "hispanic" actually derive from Spain?

Old 02-27-2007, 04:16 PM

31 posts, read 135,362 times
Default the oscar night.....

I love it.....

Working in the industry myself and my husband being very closely involved in this whole production... I just love it.

It's the one evening in the year where we see the glitter and glamour... but apart from that: the art of film making and that's what this is about.

Let's not forget the Independent movies though.... for me equally as important !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles