Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2008, 09:02 PM

4 posts, read 8,029 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving to LA at the beginning of the year and am very, very stressed out because I do not have a lot of time to find an apt . I've only been to LA twice but not for long so I do not know which areas are nice and which ones I should avoid when looking for an apartment. My new job will be in Hollywood, I'll be making in the low $40ks, have debt to pay off, but I can still afford to spend around $1000/month MAX on an apartment.

So here is my question - where can I find a studio apartment (I will probably live alone since I dont know anyone in the city and am weary about finding random roommates through online listings) that will fit my rent budget of $600-$1,000/month? I've been told to look in West Hollywood (close to my work) and Studio City, which Ive been told is affordable and nice. Safety is a big issue for me, but I would also like to be close to work so I can save money on gas. I don't mind living in a small space as long as its nice and in a good area. Also, if anyone knows of a place which the utlities are included in the monthly rent that would be awesome! Suggestions?

Oh, and does anyone know anything about the Promenade Towers? From pictures, their apts seem nice and I like that its a large building (feels safer?)...but I cant tell much from a picture.

Any suggestions would be soooooo helpful!! THANK YOU!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2008, 09:07 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,793,178 times
Try this:

HousingMaps

Old 12-25-2008, 09:17 PM

Wonderful, thank you!!!

Old 12-25-2008, 10:22 PM

Any suggestions as far as safe areas close to (within 20 min of) Hollywood Blvd?

Old 12-25-2008, 10:32 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,511,150 times
The studio at beverly & sycamore is something to check from the above source. and anywhere west and north/west of there is a good option.

Have you looked at craigslist? Your best bet is either the better parts of hollywood (the eastern part where many units within your budget gets kind of dicey) when you get up around vermont & los feliz its better, but as you go south, it gets worse again.

In the valley, you may end up too far north of Ventura blvd and that is worse then the fringe parts of hollywood, plus you have the commute.

Can you stay in weekly rental while your here to get a better feel for the areas around your work. There is a private guest house available in the hollywood hills for about $750. on craigslist. That may be an option.

Old 12-25-2008, 10:48 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,420,439 times
West Hollywood and Studio City are NOT affordable. Look into Hollywood going east(near Highland)

Old 12-25-2008, 10:56 PM

Thank you! I looked into the guest house. It sounds like a great deal. Thanks for the advice, this is very stressful . And actually, I can stay with a friend (the only person I know in LA haa) until I find something so that will help hopefully.

Thanks again!

Old 12-30-2008, 02:14 PM

571 posts, read 1,933,026 times
Hey - I actually know of a place in Glendale which is around $900 a month (can't remember exactly) and includes utilities. We looked into moving there but chose another building because that one was a little too quiet and we help raise my BIL and SIL so they are over all the time making noise.. but it would be perfect for a single person.

Mostly who I was told lived there was older people and singles. It's an older building I think 1920s? I'm really not sure, but it still has the original barn/stable from when it used to be a riding ranch/hotel. That is now their parking structure. They had a pool and the actual apartment was pretty nice inside, lots of windows and very clean. It had a huge closet. It's a pretty large building - 4 stories I think with interior hallways and it's reminds of those brick apartments you see in NYC.

It is on the 1200 block of South Central Avenue in Glendale right next to the KFC.. let me see if I can get the address

Glendale is extremely safe and the location is perfect and central to everywhere. You can get to Hollywood very quickly even taking streets, and downtown is pretty close too. The cops are excellent here and really stay on top of things, so very very low crime.

Old 12-30-2008, 02:18 PM

571 posts, read 1,933,026 times
ok I believe this is the correct address. It is those 2 red brick buildings with the pool in the middle.

Yahoo! Maps, Driving Directions, and Traffic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles