Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 07:19 AM
J-- J-- started this thread

4 posts, read 9,996 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am a nineteen year old female who will be moving to LA, specifically North Hollywood in about a years time for a course I plan to study.

I am moving from Australia, and since it's so far away I don't really have the option of looking at the area, or apartments, before I actually arrive. So I'd like to ask a few questions of people who live in, or know, the area.

As I will be moving by myself, are there any safer areas? I've heard the further south the better, but I'm not sure if that's still the case? Can anyone recommend any safe apartments, safety is more important than cost, but bear in mind that I will be on a student visa... so not working.

If I rent an apartment, how would I organise for electricity, gas, water, internet etc. to be connected? Especially in advance?

Do people in North Hollywood drive? Or are public transport/taxis popular?

Any additional advice from anyone?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 10:20 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,625,744 times
You don't say where you are studying so make certain North Hollywood is where you really want to be. People not familiar with the area sometimes get confused about things.

Taxis are not a good transportation option there, and almost everyone drives. There is a red line subway station that goes from North Hollywood through Hollywood, K-Town, Westlake, and into Downtown LA. But its a limited system.

And yes, the further south the better. South of Magnolia seems to be most desireable. Theres also new build apartments surrounding the subway station, although the neighborhood gets rough as you move a bit more north.

Old 05-06-2011, 05:57 PM

76 posts, read 236,554 times
I live right in the heart of North Hollywood (NoHo) near Chandler and Lankershim. Most apartments south of Magnolia are older cerca 1940's, so they'll have more charm (and some have 70's "charm"- blech). As you head closer to the subway further north, you'll find more modern apartments. To name a few you have: Muse, NoHo14, The Gallery, Lofts at NoHo Commons, etc).

Staying south of Hatteras St is a good marker. Hatteras is the northern cut off of the NoHo redevelopment zone.

Regarding your questions on gas, electric, etc. For electric, you will go through LA Dept of Water and Power. For gas, you will go through So Cal gas. You can go online and have it setup before you even move in. Most apartments already have electric and gas when you move in and there's a grace period for you to officially put it under your name. Gas is sometimes included in the rent, depending on the apartment (usually older ones). Internet depends on if you like Cable or DSL (or shall I say it....Dial-up). Cable internet is through Time Warner Cable. DSL is through AT&T or you can do fiberoptic through Verizon.

Can you tell us where your school will be? Will you be at the Arts Institute of CA at Lankershim and Weddington st?

Old 05-07-2011, 01:15 AM

Thanks for your answers.

My school is in North Hollywood, near Universal Studios. It's not the Arts Institute of CA...

I feel better knowing I'll be able to have everything set up before I move in... the people I've contacted so far about apartments have been really rude and don't seem to want anyone moving in from overseas.

When you say the neighbourhood is 'rough'... what do you mean? I'm a bit wary that what I define as rough in Australia, is probably different from your definition...

Also, why would North Hollywood not be where I want to be?

Old 05-07-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-- View Post
Thanks for your answers.

My school is in North Hollywood, near Universal Studios. It's not the Arts Institute of CA...

I feel better knowing I'll be able to have everything set up before I move in... the people I've contacted so far about apartments have been really rude and don't seem to want anyone moving in from overseas.

When you say the neighbourhood is 'rough'... what do you mean? I'm a bit wary that what I define as rough in Australia, is probably different from your definition...

Also, why would North Hollywood not be where I want to be?

Rough = high crime. Progressively worse the further north you go from Victory Bl. Eventually into a high gang area in Sun Valley, which borders North Hollywood.

Vineland Boyz gangster gets life for killing witness - Mean Streets (http://www.insidesocal.com/crime/2008/07/vineland-boyz-gangster-gets-li.html - broken link)

For reference, the 7600 Case address mentioned in the article about the witness murder is just a few blocks north of North Hollywood.

Old 05-07-2011, 10:03 AM

Oh. Wow.

Scary stuff.

When you mentioned that people unfamiliar with the area may get confused about whether it's really where they want to be, what did you mean?

Old 05-07-2011, 10:11 AM

1,465 posts, read 5,146,216 times
I don't know that area well enough to offer anything except I will say, wherever you end up renting, the landlord should be able to provide you with the appropriate utilities and their phones numbers.

Old 05-07-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Oh. Wow.

Scary stuff.

When you mentioned that people unfamiliar with the area may get confused about whether it's really where they want to be, what did you mean?
People get confused about what Hollywood, West Hollywood, East Hollywood, and North Hollywood actually are....North Hollywood and Hollywood are defined geographic area within City of Los Angeles. West Hollywood is a separate city. In the past, posters here have clearly been confused when speaking about where North Hollywood is located. Thats all.

Old 05-07-2011, 01:24 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,230,552 times
Quote:
Oh. Wow.

Scary stuff.

I think that what they meant is that some people get North Hollywood, West Hollywood, and Hollywood mixed up. Others think that Pasadena is right next to the ocean.

When I first moved to LA (before actually moving), I thought Burbank was "the" place to be. The hub/party spot. HAH! When I flew out to find a place, I was shocked by how "lame" Burbank was.

That being said, I live in Burbank now and love it. But it wasn't right for my 25 year self.

FYI, landlords/managers in LA are really rude and don't call you back. Not all, obviously, but it was like pulling teeth to move here from elsewhere.

Definitely keep looking in North Hollywood (as others have said, the further south the better), but check out Burbank too. It's more expensive, but safer. And it's still really close to Universal Studios.

Old 05-07-2011, 02:30 PM

199 posts, read 546,142 times
OP, my advice is to do a temporary apartment for say, a month. It will be more expensive, but I think well worth the extra cost. You'll be able to take a look around in person and see where you'd like to live for the rest of the time you'll be in LA.

I'm thinking specifically of Oakwood/Archstone in Studio City which I know is in a good area as, at one point, I used to live nearby. Studio City, California Furnished Apartments - Temporary Furnished Apartments in Studio City, California by Oakwood (http://www.oakwood.com/furnished-apartments/furnished/US/CA/Studio-City/prop1577/showPolicies.html#propDetailLower - broken link)

You can walk to grocery stores, clothing stores, the bus, restaurants (on Ventura). The building did have quite a lot of young people when I lived a few streets away. It is a gated building, well-lit, and I would think the people there would be helpful with setting up utilities and such. Again, it will be more expensive, but if you could save the extra money for even a one month's stay, I don't think you'll regret it.

I don't care for North Hollywood above Magnolia.

Best wishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles