Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 09:34 PM

676 posts, read 3,076,344 times

Advertisements

I agree with Fastfilm about many of her experiences living in LA. I do not think she exaggerates the truth about the average middle class person trying to maintain a decent life in the LA area. Of course there are nice neighborhoods, but it isn't realistic for the average person making under $100, 000 to purchase a home anywhere near them. You can make it as a renter in some of the fun places like Venice or Santa Monica, but it is near impossible to settle down in those areas, especially to raise a family. As far as the polluted beaches, it is true that our street drains right into the ocean and you are told to not even go near the ocean for at least 3 days after a rainstorm. I am friends with a lot of surfers and they can't resist big waves after storms and they have caught some nasty bugs surfing. Warning signs will sometimes be posted, but I have noticed you have to find beach closures in the small print hidden inside the newspaper. They don't always look "dirty" but water tests often detect high bacteria counts. I would much rather be a visitor to LA, do the tourist thing and get out. I personally don't recommend trying to maintain a life in the trenches of LA. However, everyone is different. I would much rather be surrounded by nature than urban things, and there are people who think that is crazy. I mainly want to defend FastFilm's character because I think she shares valid experiences that people not familiar with the innards of LA should hear. There is a lot more to actually living in LA than just visiting it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2006, 10:18 PM

97 posts, read 579,058 times
Such is the price of living in civilization. Try reading the threads on other large cities (outside of California): traffic, crime, traffic, pollution, traffic, etc. OK?

For what it's worth, I've had the opportunity of living in several regions of the country over a 30 year career and for my money: SoCal's the place. I can tell you 20 stories of friends that moved away (to their utopia) and wish they could come back to SoCal but can't afford it anymore. Now they're stuck in rural USA: bored and wishing they were back home.

So go ahead a whine about how miserable LA is and plan your move to utopia. When you find utopia, tell us so we can all flock there and ***** it up, too! A special note to Ms. Fastfilm: you belong someplace else. As you dine at your favorite Mexican restaurant, have your lawn mowed by Mexicans, polish off a cold Corona, and your house cleaned by the nice little Mexican cleaning lady, I urge you to expedite your move to that little piece of heaven you think still exists. Please go with the greatest of haste but keep us posted about how messed up your new community is!

Old 06-25-2006, 10:28 PM

4 posts, read 30,876 times
Default born & raised LA beach girl

In answer to your question-If I had unlimited funds, no I wouldn't return to LA. I didn't have to leave, choose to.

Growing up there (couple blocks from the beach) was GREAT-that's when living near the beach guaranteed no smog. The schools were outstanding at that time too.

But now the smog is amazing-even well out over the ocean many days. I still travel there every couple months and everytime I go, it's tremedously smoggy. I still have family there and in Laguna Nigel as well. I also specifically visit Beverly Hills when I go there.

Beverly Hills and Malibu are wonderful towns, but the smog is everywhere.

If you want a City, consider San Francisco-smaller, less smog, no swimming beaches though, too cold.

LA is perfect for the LA lifestyle, a unique one. Like NYC-no place like it, but it's for people who want that particular lifestyle and the people who live there etc.

Visit for a couple weeks, you'll know for yourself if it's what you want.

Old 06-25-2006, 11:28 PM

186 posts, read 835,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightenme
I agree with Fastfilm about many of her experiences living in LA. I do not think she exaggerates the truth about the average middle class person trying to maintain a decent life in the LA area. Of course there are nice neighborhoods, but it isn't realistic for the average person making under $100, 000 to purchase a home anywhere near them. You can make it as a renter in some of the fun places like Venice or Santa Monica, but it is near impossible to settle down in those areas, especially to raise a family. As far as the polluted beaches, it is true that our street drains right into the ocean and you are told to not even go near the ocean for at least 3 days after a rainstorm. I am friends with a lot of surfers and they can't resist big waves after storms and they have caught some nasty bugs surfing. Warning signs will sometimes be posted, but I have noticed you have to find beach closures in the small print hidden inside the newspaper. They don't always look "dirty" but water tests often detect high bacteria counts. I would much rather be a visitor to LA, do the tourist thing and get out. I personally don't recommend trying to maintain a life in the trenches of LA. However, everyone is different. I would much rather be surrounded by nature than urban things, and there are people who think that is crazy. I mainly want to defend FastFilm's character because I think she shares valid experiences that people not familiar with the innards of LA should hear. There is a lot more to actually living in LA than just visiting it.
There really is no middle class in CA anymore period. Why single out LA? Because it is a large city? Remember, SF HAS NO MIDDLE CLASS. You need 700K minimum to leave in SF's worst neighborhood (which isnt all that bad, but still). The only other urban areas are San Jose, Oakland, and San Diego, all of which require at least 650K-700K entry level as well. So why does LA get the reputation for being bad for the middle class, when the other urban areas dont really have a middle class anymore. One can find a house in San Diego in a safe neighborhood for 550K, but you will be commuting 3 hours a day to get to your job if you work in the city's center!!!

What areas in CA are still middle class?

San Deigo? No
San Luis Obispo, Ojai, Santa Barbara, Ventura, Semi Valley? Nope

Lets look at Norcal

San Jose? No
SF peninsula? Heck No
Marin County, SF, the coast? NO WAY jose
East Bay? Not really
Carmel? Heck no
Monterey? Sorry

Where can a middle class person live in CA then?

Modesto,Stockton,Sacremento,Merced,Turlok,redding, and random small towns in the middle of nowhere.

Aside from those places, eveyone needs to pony up 750K for a decent place. Becasue LA is an urban area, the effect of having less money will be intensifed.

Old 06-26-2006, 09:37 AM

436 posts, read 681,940 times
Default born & raised LA beach girl

Amen califgal! We the critical aren't denying the uniqueness that LA ( and the general area) can offer. Me, I miss many things about LA, and some days it drives me crazy missing the vibe, the people, the creative & fun places to shop, the entertainment, and places to go out to eat - but after two collapsed lungs, and a resection at a UCLA area hospital, my thoractic surgeon and oncologist recommended I get out of LA - they emphasized to me that LA's enveloping particulate has strong links to increased risk of compromised health, and it's not the place to live for one with a compromised immune, or respiratory system. I remember asking them why they lived in LA. One fellow turned out to be from SD and the other was a temporary resident. Make your own choices, just remember that toxins have cumulative effects that often manifest themselves years later. Life is often about tradeoffs - isn't it?

Last edited by brian_2; 06-26-2006 at 09:59 AM..

Old 06-26-2006, 11:10 AM

676 posts, read 3,076,344 times
[quote=jlrobe]There really is no middle class in CA anymore period. Why single out LA? Because it is a large city? Remember, SF HAS NO MIDDLE CLASS. You need 700K minimum to leave in SF's worst neighborhood (which isnt all that bad, but still). The only other urban areas are San Jose, Oakland, and San Diego, all of which require at least 650K-700K entry level as well. So why does LA get the reputation for being bad for the middle class, when the other urban areas dont really have a middle class anymore. One can find a house in San Diego in a safe neighborhood for 550K, but you will be commuting 3 hours a day to get to your job if you work in the city's center!!!QUOTE]

I don't think anyone is disputing that other major CA cities are also over priced and forcing the middle-class out. The main reason LA has been the focus here is this thread is under the Los Angeles section of the forum. I agree with you that San Fran, San Diego, etc. are also out of control and over priced.

Old 06-26-2006, 04:31 PM

186 posts, read 835,442 times
[quote=enlightenme]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrobe
There really is no middle class in CA anymore period. Why single out LA? Because it is a large city? Remember, SF HAS NO MIDDLE CLASS. You need 700K minimum to leave in SF's worst neighborhood (which isnt all that bad, but still). The only other urban areas are San Jose, Oakland, and San Diego, all of which require at least 650K-700K entry level as well. So why does LA get the reputation for being bad for the middle class, when the other urban areas dont really have a middle class anymore. One can find a house in San Diego in a safe neighborhood for 550K, but you will be commuting 3 hours a day to get to your job if you work in the city's center!!!QUOTE]

I don't think anyone is disputing that other major CA cities are also over priced and forcing the middle-class out. The main reason LA has been the focus here is this thread is under the Los Angeles section of the forum. I agree with you that San Fran, San Diego, etc. are also out of control and over priced.
Yeah, that makes since.

Its funny. States like Massachussets and Arizona are already trying to find solutions to this problem, and yet workers in Boston get paid more and have more reasonable housing prices. Meanwhile, CA is asleep at the wheel.

All CA cares about is high end jobs, and right now, we have more high end jobs than any other state. We have more foreign born immigrants, and hence overall immigration than any other state. Instead of making the middle class stronger to improve schools, we make it harder for teachers to taech in the state, therby driving them away.

Sad Sad.

Old 06-27-2006, 06:29 PM

13 posts, read 49,121 times
L.A. is the barometer for the rest of the nation. Guess what? coming from california the last thing I thought I'd ever see was illegals here in S.C. Housing prices are creeping up in some of the most otherwise mediocre areas of the southeast. California is polluting the ability of a middle class existance. that is why I moved. Check out the median salaries there versus cost of living it is so out of whack.. Unless you are very established and have made your money long ago and already own a home your *****ed!

Old 06-27-2006, 10:20 PM
gmb

45 posts, read 289,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrobe
Its funny. States like Massachussets and Arizona are already trying to find solutions to this problem, and yet workers in Boston get paid more and have more reasonable housing prices. Meanwhile, CA is asleep at the wheel.

All CA cares about is high end jobs, and right now, we have more high end jobs than any other state. We have more foreign born immigrants, and hence overall immigration than any other state. Instead of making the middle class stronger to improve schools, we make it harder for teachers to taech in the state, therby driving them away. Sad Sad.
I couldn't agree more! My family is actually a teaching family being driven out of state. I am really sad about CA's declining middle-class and I can't imagine what the future will be like for CA in 20 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalstuckinheehawhell
L.A. is the barometer for the rest of the nation. Guess what? coming from california the last thing I thought I'd ever see was illegals here in S.C. Housing prices are creeping up in some of the most otherwise mediocre areas of the southeast. California is polluting the ability of a middle class existance. that is why I moved. Check out the median salaries there versus cost of living it is so out of whack.. Unless you are very established and have made your money long ago and already own a home your *****ed!
I feel exactly the same way! It is hard for some people to understand and ironically the negative comments about moving out of state are always from people who have purchased their home years ago. I don't even feel like you are given a fighting chance to be a first time home owner in CA unless you have some serious money.

Last edited by Marka; 06-28-2006 at 12:56 AM.. Reason: merged

Old 06-27-2006, 11:03 PM

28 posts, read 38,169 times
If you bought 5 or 6 yrs ago you shouldn't have to leave. California isn't that expensive. Housing and gas are to big areas of cost. If you can't buy a house buy a condo. Most people don't want to do this. In certain places its not possible.The middle class will always be there since people who had houses 10yrs ago sold them and bought new one at $700K. But its only costing them $200K. Middle class is fading but when your making $130K you can afford a $600K house and have no problem. That is making up a new more expensive middle class. Plenty of people rent or don't make a lot of money and thats fine. People always think that the grass is always greener which isn't true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles