Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2008, 09:54 AM

110 posts, read 320,541 times

Advertisements

I have an interview with a defense company in Palmdale this week. I currently live in Northridge...would this be a crazy commute? I am open to relocating but it needs to be an area with good schools.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 10:08 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,191,740 times
that is a long drive. although it is a reverse commute, you would be putting a lot of mileage on your car.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:15 AM

218 posts, read 708,334 times
the school district up here in palmdale is well worth the move for your kids.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blockheadofaknew View Post
the school district up here in palmdale is well worth the move for your kids.

I never knew this was true. My perception of Palmdale's school district was not on my short list. Maybe I should research this further. I was thinking of moving up to the Santa Clarita area (Stevenson Ranch, Valencia, etc).

Old 12-02-2008, 12:53 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,274,776 times
A bunch of us commute from Santa Clarita. I also work with a guy that goes all the way to Glendale at about 75 min. It takes me 45-60 minutes depending on surface traffic in town Valencia. I get on the 14 at either Sand Canyon or Golden Valley and I live in the north part of town. If you lived in Stevenson then you could go the 5 to the 14, but some mornings it could take a while just to get to the 14. Once on that freeway, I can go as fast as I want most mornings. Cops use Ka band mostly BTW. As far as schools go, I urge you to check out School Performance Maps. Simply scroll around and then decide where you would want your children to go. I would home school before enrolling a child in Palmdale. I have lived in both places, and my opinion is that the quality of life in SC is vastly superior to the AV, as is the weather.

Old 12-02-2008, 01:20 PM

Yeah, I don't think I would want to move to the AV (Palmdale area). Most of my family and friends are in the SF Valley, so the Santa Clarita would be the furthest I would want to go.

All this thinking, is of course, if the interview goes well and I decide I want to work for this company. This company has numerous locations in So Cali, so I could suffer the commute then hopefully transfer to a closer office. Of course, I am not sure how easily folks can transfer in this company.

Old 12-02-2008, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elousv View Post
A bunch of us commute from Santa Clarita. I also work with a guy that goes all the way to Glendale at about 75 min. It takes me 45-60 minutes depending on surface traffic in town Valencia. I get on the 14 at either Sand Canyon or Golden Valley and I live in the north part of town. If you lived in Stevenson then you could go the 5 to the 14, but some mornings it could take a while just to get to the 14. Once on that freeway, I can go as fast as I want most mornings. Cops use Ka band mostly BTW. As far as schools go, I urge you to check out School Performance Maps. Simply scroll around and then decide where you would want your children to go. I would home school before enrolling a child in Palmdale. I have lived in both places, and my opinion is that the quality of life in SC is vastly superior to the AV, as is the weather.
You guys commute to Palmdale from Santa Clarita? How long does it take, both ways?

Old 12-02-2008, 02:13 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,274,776 times
Yes, between 45 minutes to an hour EACH way. Say 15 or so to freeway, 20 or so ON freeway, 10 or so to work once off freeway. I actually go to Lancaster a few more miles than Palmdale. You could be shorter if you are at Lockheed at 10th east and P. That is only a few minutes off freeway. It gets real busy at the intersection of Sierra Highway and P. at times and in Santa Clarita there are some intersections that take multiple lights to get through sometimes.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:21 PM

Thanks for all the info so far. This is a great forum and responsive forum. I have posted other comments on other topics and everyone is so responsive with quality comments. I will provide an update on my status after this Thursday (after my interview).

Old 12-02-2008, 07:28 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,743,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sejinro View Post
This company has numerous locations in So Cali, so I could suffer the commute then hopefully transfer to a closer office.
Do you own a home in Northridge? If you took the Palmdale job and successfully did a transfer to another facility in SoCal, would you get a relo package?
What other cities does this big company have jobs in? Would these cities be commutable from Northridge?
Do you have kids? Ages?

I'd rather commute to Palmdale from Northridge than to El Segundo from Northridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles