Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 10:04 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
I can't understand renting something and then reporting it to the authorities as illegal.
Kind of like making your bed and then pissing in it.
What's so unusual about it? Tenants also have rights, especially in California. One of the things that I really miss about living there is that Gov't affords everyone certain rights. The OP stated that she rented the apt in "good faith" and did not know that the apt had been converted to something not OK'd by the rental Authority. I knew someone who had a similar situation. He refused to pay rent for months, giving him time to find a more suitable place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 10:39 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,835,047 times
I just posted this on another thread, but will add it here as well. After a quick search, I found this site (California Tenant Law), which may have some useful information for you.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:48 PM

27 posts, read 95,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezeboxgal View Post
I just posted this on another thread, but will add it here as well. After a quick search, I found this site (California Tenant Law), which may have some useful information for you.

Yes, I know. A police officer actually turned me on to that site--its very informative. However, I really need a pro bono attorney. I know of agency's like Bet Tzedek, which is brillant, but they help people that are in the more LA proper zone. Glendale has an agency called Neigborhood Services which hasn't been a real support legally.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:49 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,509,570 times
Default Are you still living in the same bldg?

Update to your situation?

Old 01-21-2009, 07:55 PM

2 posts, read 4,644 times
Hello Ashley !
Haven't you heard Glendale has become Armenia.Its one for all and all for them.I was born and rased in Glendale(not armenian) and I tell you its corrupted.It is sad to say but I'm moving out of here.Good luck and hope you find a sutible place to move into soon.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:00 AM

359 posts, read 1,312,599 times
Default Buy two chickens...

I'd go buy two chickens if you can find a rabbit get one too, cut them in half and just throw them at her front door. Do that three weeks straight always on a Monday The third time set one of the chickens on fire but keep your eye on it...she'll get the message. It always works! Evil bish! If that doesn't work quit being scarred and warn her how you willkick her ass...then do a tai chi routine on her ass...show her who's boos!/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashleykitty View Post
Hi. This a complicated and distressing story. I could use any intelligent and helpful feed back--I am desperate. First, I moved into an apartment, in Glendale, in which my unit had been illegally subdivided by the owner/landlord. Consquently, I turned the owner/landlord into the City of Glendale's Code Inforement as a way to set boundries; hence, the owner/landlord thought that he/she could access the extra room by going through my unit. The City of Glendale Code Inforement deemed the subdivide illegal and demanded the owner return the unit back to its original state.The owner/landlord complied and restored the unit back to a one bedroom. However, the problem is that the City inspector for Code inforcement found other issues, during the reinspection, such as:low water pressure, weak stair rails and other issues. You get the drift--the owner/landlord is screwed. However, I just got a letter today threating to evict me for letting my cat outside as well as accusing me of harassing the neighbors both physically and verbally while confronting them about their noisy televisions. Needless to say, the cat issue is 100%correct. I do let my cat outside, as no where in the lease does it state that my cat shall remain indoors. However, the neigbor harrassment issue is an outrageous lie. In fact I have always resorted to calling the police, rather then confront the neigbors head on, in regarding to their blarring Armenian news channel. My question is, since I don't have the money to move, can I sue for breach of contract, libel and/or harassment? What are my options?
Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:32 AM

293 posts, read 893,555 times
You can sue them for Breach of Contract and Harassment

Since you have proper documents like the lease statements and police reports regarding the complaints regarding the time aspects and situations. Documents is very important like lease, police reports, the letter of threatening to evict you, and unsafe dwelling zone. You may have a solid case.

Are the complaint regards toward you current? Did she make false accusation after you turned her into the code informmant? Date? Does the neighbor have a harrasment issue in writing? By police reports?

Old 12-12-2009, 09:56 PM

4 posts, read 10,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
This is yet another reason to thank God for rent control And I own a home & rental. But at one time I was a renter & experienced a very positive outcome because of rent stabilization. My landlord had lied to me & the previous tenants just to jack up the rent by over $200 a month. The court fined her & I did not have to pay rent for 6 months plus my rent was lowered to what it was before I moved in. The landlord eventually sold the property [5 houses on an acre lot in Highland Pk.].

I have had nothing but positive relationships with my own tenants because I make sure they are comfortable & fix any problems.
You my good man/woman are an exception to the rule. Perhaps if there were more private landlords like you who actually gave a crap there would be less calls to the Inspectors for Violations. In fact I have been in a situation where I had to report my own landlord for violations after repeatedly asking for repairs to be made. My only regret is that i didn't think to do it sooner. It works both ways yes Tenants have to pay their rent on time, abide by the lease, not disturb the quiet enjoyment of others and keep the place clean. On the other hand if you are a landlord you have a responsibility to keep your property in a safe livable condition. I do not feel an ounce of sorrow nor will I lose any sleep for those who don't keep their properties up to code and do nothing until the city slaps them with huge fines.

Old 12-13-2009, 04:41 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slumlordsuck View Post
You my good man/woman are an exception to the rule. Perhaps if there were more private landlords like you who actually gave a crap there would be less calls to the Inspectors for Violations. In fact I have been in a situation where I had to report my own landlord for violations after repeatedly asking for repairs to be made. My only regret is that i didn't think to do it sooner. It works both ways yes Tenants have to pay their rent on time, abide by the lease, not disturb the quiet enjoyment of others and keep the place clean. On the other hand if you are a landlord you have a responsibility to keep your property in a safe livable condition. I do not feel an ounce of sorrow nor will I lose any sleep for those who don't keep their properties up to code and do nothing until the city slaps them with huge fines.
this thread is over a year old, wonder what happened??

Nita

Old 12-17-2009, 01:54 PM

49 posts, read 116,907 times
Default The girl with the armenian slum lord got out of glendale

Hi. Thanks for all the intelligent and thoughtful post's. An update on my situation. I sued my landlord in small claims and prevailed; however, I would never do it again. The stress and work envolved, in the case, was
overwhelming. Furthermore, I was up against an Armenian {tribe}. Also, I witnessed my landlord and {tribe} make a mockery out of the, American, Justice system without any remorse or stress. At that point, I realized, Americans are a joke to the Armenian Culture. Its just to easy for them to get stuff over on American's--we're suckers. Most Americans still believe in justice, law and good will. Armenians believe in husling and scaming. End of story.
However, I do believe in giving credit where credit is due so in that regard Armenians are good actors; I am suprised more haven't taken up the vocation professionally.
Finally, I am living in the WLA, Brentwood area and feel more comfortable.
However, I will be moving to Northern Ca. this summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
this thread is over a year old, wonder what happened??

Nita

Last edited by cassidy2; 12-17-2009 at 01:56 PM.. Reason: misspelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles